Water cost 1 person 1 bed flat

I am trying to find the typical cost for a single person in a one bed flat, my nephew seems to have quite a high bill considering he is by himself?

Comments

• Is he on a meter or a flat rate?

The only way it could be higher is if he is on a flat rate.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,056
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is his bill based on rateable value or is it metered ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Example me .
    3 bed SD single occupant

RV circa £600 pa

Meter circa £220 pa .
  • Paul_Kara
    Paul_Kara Posts: 12
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm paying £19 a month on a meter compared to £45 before having meter fitted :j
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,589
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If the flat is based on RV billing then it really doesn't matter how many people are in there or whether he leaves his taps on day & night - he'll still pay a fixed rate.

However if he's on a water meter then he'll just pay for the water than he uses and disposes of. It's reasonable to assume that he'd use around 1 cu.m a week or 50-55cu.m a year.

The cost of a cu.m varies greatly across the country and depends on which water company supplies your water and which one takes away your sewerage so trying to compare costs is really a waste of time as you dont have a choice as to who supplies your water.

Get him to check his bills to establish whether he is being billed on RV or by meter. If on RV then he should request a meter. If he's got a meter then he should check the meter serial number on the bill is the same as the one thats supplying his flat and that the readings are fairly accurate - he can read the meter himself and send in a reading to get the bill corrected if it's wrong.

If he's using more than around 1 cu.m a week then he should check for leaks or dripping taps. make sure that the toilet isn't dribbling gently into the pan or from the overflow
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,001
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My example is £56 per month on Rate which is awful for one person living in a one bedroom flat. When I switched over to the meter, it is now only £20 per month which is much better.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Since water charges vary by as much as 250% between regions, there is simply no such thing as an 'average'. What water region are you referring to?
    SWW is by far the most expensive.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dataless wrote: »
    I am trying to find the typical cost for a single person in a one bed flat, my nephew seems to have quite a high bill considering he is by himself?

Has he identified his water meter and taken readings? The water companies will happily bill new residents for any outstanding usage since the previous bill-payer left. Best to get readings asap and build up a usage rate which can then be backward tracked to spot a false starting meter reading or estimate.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Pointless replying as the op has wandered off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure