Our new Broadband Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• bones85
    bones85 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've phoned up BT twice to try haggle them and both times they have offered me very poor deals! so i'm either not very good at haggling or just bad luck with getting a deal!
  • dazzaofdagenham
    dazzaofdagenham Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    stuart30 wrote: »
    Been with Virgin several years and each year threaten to leave and get a slightly better deal.

This year thanks to the Links on MSE i actually took up the BT offer..By Bye Virgin and the operator couldnt have cared less,ok so im really going.

BT fastest speed would be 39MB ish while Virgin was upto 200MB with constant average of 80MB ish.

Retentions phoned today and offer £18.25 per month for 150MB broadband only (ive asked for this for years) and no phoneline.

Never use the phone line...never watch the TV.

Been told time after time you have to have phone line despite it being cable.

So £18.25 down from £40.10 and ive got 1 Month free and second month half price.

Happy with that.;)

Now that's a good offer.....I'm on the upto 150mbps with a tenner discount, so paying about 28 a month..

Contract up in August....so gonna push for something like that
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    bones85 wrote: »
    I've phoned up BT twice to try haggle them and both times they have offered me very poor deals! so i'm either not very good at haggling or just bad luck with getting a deal!

They are mean.

I left a number of years ago, then was called wit a retention offer that did not even approach the one I was getting with Sky (free tv top package, broadband and line rental , the latter £9.99 because they did saver, then).
  • bones85
    bones85 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    i just don't know who to go with now, plusnet or sky are probably the options, or give it one last go with haggling with BT?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    For the last three or so years BT have reduced my next contract .
    One price up an alternative service after deciding what you actually want .
    If you are out of contract then start the switch no need to inform BT .
    Or phone BT and ask for cancellations and tell them you are moving say no if its not good enough .
    WAIT BT may contact you with an offer before the switch
    If you are in contract then none of the above applies .
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Tried haggling Plusnet vs the Sky £126 MSE deal (ending tomorrow).

The best Plusnet would do is Line rental with free BB which equates to £16? if you pay a year in advance, still £40 in the deal. Asked for a better router to make up the differences and that was turned down too :(
  • Katrin
    Katrin Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just called BT to see what my renewal cost would be. I signed up last year and got a massive new customer discount. Expecting the price to go up substantially, I came away with a new 18 months contract at exactly the same price I signed up for last year. I was told that BT now can renew contracts and let customers keep the discount they sign up with originally.
    I feel very lucky as my haggling position is very poor - there are not many broadband services where I live and I like some of the extra features I get (and pay for) from BT. I didn't really want to change provider anyway.
  • I have succeeded in negotiating a retention discount with BT that is as good as I was offered by Plusnet and other providers. BT were proposing to charge £43.99 per month for 17mb Unlimited Broadband with inclusive Evening and Weekend Calls. After haggling I got the same deal for £24.99 per month for 12 months. I was also offered free Sky Sports but I am not a sport watcher. More importantly this means that I and my family can retain our BTInternet Email Addresses and inclusive security software subscriptions.
  • I expect to go through the same hassle in 12 months time but the BT agent on the retentions team said call us about a month before your contract ends and we'll do another deal. I think the key to my success was asking BT to match the best deal I had been offered by Plusnet (and Vodafone)
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Haggling didn't work.

I tried to haggle with two different people at BT. The first person offered £2 reduction. That wouldn't even have cancelled out their latest increase.
    The second one offered £4.

After arranging and paying the line rental saver upfront with Plusnet, I received a call from BT asking us why we were leaving and then offering us broadband reduced from the £31 a month we were paying, to £6 a month.

It was too late, as I wasn't going to go through the hassle of cancelling Plusnet and claiming the money back.

Ignoring line rental we were paying BT £40.79 a month for broadband and anytime calls to UK landlines.

New deal with Plusnet, ignoring line rental we will be paying £13.99 a month for broadband and anytime calls to UK landlines and UK mobiles.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback