Eon smart meter numbers don't make sense

Options
2»

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You need to ask your supplier whether it's possible.

Rate and cost info tends to be sent back from the supplier to the IHD. I dont think it's actually programmed into the IHD. If it was, it would require the fitter to know which tariff you are on and someone would have to come and reset it when you changed tariffs.

My SSE one was wrong for the whole time that I was with them. As soon as I stopped being an SSE customer then the rate and pricing info got deleted. It still read the meter and tells me how much I'm using but not what it costs
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • maxcy
    maxcy Posts: 46 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2019 at 6:01PM
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    I cant use 40% without trying to get my wife doing the washing, ironing and vaccying between midnight and 7 am and TBH I've probably got more chance of getting myself onto the international space station.

We mainly heat the house between 0700 and 2200 with a low level heat background during the night when it's cold. Even our hot water only uses around 1000kwh a year I doubt I could get my off peak consumption much above 25-30%.

If you are using 50-60kWh per day during the winter months when your heating is on, compared to <10kWh when the heating is off during the summer, you need to seriously consider NSH.
    (these are figures you have posted elsewhere on this site)
    Hot water, at least the majority of it, if not all, can also be heated during the low rate period.

May I remind you that 7/24 = > 29%, so if you cannot even achieve that, you are not really trying to use the greater majority of electricity during the low rate period.

Why would you when you are paying peak rate 24/7? But this is a money saving website, and that does mean changing things if you wish to succeed.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a heatpump which generates heat when I want it rather than storing it somewhere. I dont have the option of mains gas, so it's LPG or Oil.
    I reckon my heatpump has a COP of between 2.50 to 3 (which means it generates 2.5-3kwh of heat for every 1kwh of leccy that gets put into it) then I'm paying around 4-4.5p/kwh for my heating and hot water.

Not as cheap as mains gas , probably around the same as oil but cheaper than LPG (and without the aggro of storing it and getting it delivered)

Actually if I do sums based on my EPC I'd be using around 12,000kwh for heating (whether it was oil, gas or even leccy, 2500kwh for hot water plus whatever I use for lights, washing, cooking etc, etc (which seems to be around 2000kwh/pa) I've got a pretty good deal.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sandydog wrote: »
    We finally got a smart meter installed, having been forced off our old Heatwise tariff. We were told in the email from Eon that the times of the cheap periods would be one hour different in BST. The engineer who fitted the meter said it doesn't alter.

The portable display console has the time in BST, but the rates on it change as if it were in GMT eg the evening rate is supposed to start at 9 pm, it changed on the console at 8 pm precisely (the rate actually switched at 9:10 pm). None of the tariffs exactly match what we were quoted either. They are slightly cheaper.

If the console is getting its rates directly from the meter how can they change at different times ?
    The total price of the electricity it thinks we have used is the same as it says on the meter, so it must be getting that data directly from the meter. Will that, at least, be accurate ?

It's a good job we checked as the engineer told us the times were all one hour earlier than they actually are so we were switching things on at all the wrong times. We have storage heaters wired to only come on at cheap rate so it is easy to see when the rate has actually changed. But if the times are inconsistent it's difficult to set things up to run over night during the cheap periods. We are assuming the rate changes for everything at once, storage heaters, hot water, and lights/sockets. There seems little point in having the console if most if the numbers on it are false. Our prices have risen so much that we have to be very careful, and I was hoping that the console would tell us when we were on cheap rate.
    The engineer said that the new consoles do not do the 60 minute countdown to the rate change. We can see the 'current' rate on the console, except that it is wrong ! It changes on there 70 mins before it changes on the meter, and it is not the unit price we have been quoted either.

We are on Eon EnergyPlan, which is their only Economy 10 tariff. We have storage heaters which are only on when the cheaper rate is on.

The meter is a Toyota Landis Gyr+ E470 type 5424 SKU 1cellular. There is a second box for the storage heaters and hot water which is labelled 100A EHC1
    We will have at least 90% of our usage at the low rate. I appreciate there are cheaper tariffs but E7 would not work for us. We have got much cheaper e10 quotes or the option of a single tariff.

But my original post was more about the console set up. It is still a hour out in its rate changes. What I would really like to know is whether the useage in £ shown on the smart meter is likely to be accurate, how to change the tariff to the actual one if not, and how to change the console to the correct times.

Hello Sandydog and it sounds like you've a SMETS2 smart meter.

What type of In Home Display (IHD) do you have? With SMETS2, it'll either be a SmartView2 or an IHD PPMID.

The engineer who fitted the meter was right. With these meters, the time is always set at Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). The meter is the important bit as this is what's controlling the timings of when the dedicated heating and hot water circuits are active at off-peak times.

The IHDs, whichever type, are more of a guide. They're to help you understand trends with the usage and how you might be able to save money by saving energy. The prices on displays don't match the actual tariff. They don't include VAT or any discounts. For gas customers (I know this doesn't include you), conversion factors also reduce their accuracy.

With the new two-rate Economy 10 meters, all usage during the off-peak times is charged at the cheaper rates. We can let you know what these timings are as they differ depending on the region.

Thanks Sandydog.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure