Infrared heating panel is no good

I looked for some real experiences of infrared heating. This is the best place to be.:T

I bought a FAR infrared heating panel to try out. Has someone else had experience of them? It is advertised to say the best available but I am 100% dissatisfied.

The infrared panel is not living up to the promise. May I be entitled to a refund? The company say no because I had it for 2 weeks.

It does not warm enough. If I stood close it is ok but further than 1-2 meter then there is no heat and the room is cold.

The company said I must attach the infrared panel up high on the wall. This is not good because it is not nice looking for my room. It will look terrible! I don't really believe that will make more heat. They said I must then have two more panels. The room is 4 meters x 3.5 meters.

I don't believe it is costing less money than the electric heaters and when I must have two more panels it will be costing much much more money.

I don't use the infrared panel now. Should I lawfully have a refund?

Comments

• thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It depends what you were promised IN WRITING by the supplier regarding whether it was suitable for heating the room. Unless you recorded what a salesman said, it would be very difficult to use a verbal promise as the basis of a case. Were you told that 1 heater would be enough to heat the reoom to a certain temperature in x hours when the outside temperature was xxC? Even without such a detailed promise, goods must still be "fit for the purpose described" but proving what was described will be very difficult. The company may claim that it was dwescribed as top-up heating only.

An infrared heater has exactly the same efficiency as the cheapest electric convector heater, i.e. 100% of the electricty you pay for is turned into heat.

Most of the heat is given out as radiant heat rather than conductive heat, which could give some savings because you shoudl feel the benefit of the warmth on your skin without the heater having to heat up all the air inbetween you and the heater (like a "normal" heater). There have been many threads discussing the merist (or otherwise) of infra-red heating.

My guess is that the company will have been clever enough not to make any enforceable promises in writing, so you may have to put this down to experience.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • Thank you :T

Yes the company website is saying it is good for rooms 36 meters square. My room is small. FAR infrared heating panels are really not as good.

I tested the infrared panel and it is taking 900 watts all of the day and the room is cold. My electric heater 1000 watts made less costs for heating and it is warmer. I am thankful for your advice of "fit for the purpose described".

I say then that the company must provide a refund. I made a review of the problem the review is taken from the website!
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think you may have misread the blurb on their website. It does state "The key difference with Far Infrared Heating is that is heats solid objects like the walls of a room and furniture, which then radiate back and raise the air temperature to a comfortable level. Infrared does not heat the air like most other types of heater. So you're no longer heating VOLUME of air (which retains heat poorly). Instead you're heating SURFACE-AREA of materials (which retain heat well)."
    Infra red will heat you up nicely if you are stood underneath it for long enough, it won't however heat the air around you unlike a convector heater.

If the heater is working correctly you will unfortunately not be entitled to a refund. If the claims they are making are false or exaggerated then you need to contact trading standards for them to test and investigate the claims.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Thank you.

Maybe but I am reading the website. It is stating that FAR infrared heating panels make heat for a 36 meter square room. My room is smaller.

The website is stating in writing far less power cost than electric heaters. I tested the FAR infrared heating panel. It is taking 900 watts and it is not warm 1-2 meters of the heating panel. The regular heater now is taking maximum 750 watts and it is making all of the room warm.

The company is not providing a refund. Maybe to be close to the FAR infrared heating panel is ok but this is not possible. The company say I must have more panels but the website is stating one infrared heating panel makes heat for 36 meter square room.

1-2 meters close is ok but the room is cold. This is no good.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,048
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think these panels are more designed for a workshop-type environment where the air is cold due to bad insulation but provide warmth when standing sitting directly in front of them. If possible, it might be worth trying to mount it on the ceiling and have it radiate heat down on to you instead.
  • Thank you!

Yes I feel that is true. Why the company has sold it to me then? It is no good in my room. The website is stating that FAR infrared heating panels are good for heating in homes. I know now that this is NOT true. It is costing more for heating bills and it is no good for heating. Now I am using my regular heater again and the company will not refund.

I am warning that these infrared heating panels are no good. :(
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    mjsingh wrote: »
    I tested the infrared panel and it is taking 900 watts all of the day and the room is cold. My electric heater 1000 watts made less costs for heating and it is warmer. I am thankful for your advice of "fit for the purpose described".

Your 900watt IR heater will produce exactly the same amount of heat as any other 900 watt electrical heater, and cost exactly the same to run.

The only difference between electrical heaters is the way they deliver the heat.

Your 1000watt(1kW) heater will produce 11% more heat than the IR heater; but cost 11% more to run.

Like many companies, some of those manufacturing IR heaters imply that somehow you get more heat for the same cost; but you don't. However if you read their brochures they are careful not to say anything that is factually incorrect.
  • Maybe but I am reading the website. It is stating that FAR infrared heating panels make heat for a 36 meter square room. My room is smaller.

36m square will not be anywhere near warm with a 900w panel.

From my own experience 900w will keep 16m square warm.

Obviously there are many other factors to take in to account.

A quick calc suggests you would need 2.2 kW + to keep you warm in a room that size with a 2.4m ceiling height.
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mjsingh wrote: »
    The company said I must attach the infrared panel up high on the wall. This is not good because it is not nice looking for my room. It will look terrible! I don't really believe that will make more heat. They said I must then have two more panels. The room is 4 meters x 3.5 meters.

I dont think you researched this properly before buying which is what a lot of people make the mistake of doing. Radiant heat works the same way the sun does via infrared rays. On a cold day if the sun is shining on you, you can feel quite warm. However if the sun goes behind a building or behind the clouds then you can feel cold again as you dont feel that radiant heat.

This heater works the same. The pictures of these heaters on their website which shows a lot of different installs shows the heater mounted quite high up on the wall. If you have chose to mount the heater low down at radiator height there are a lot of obstacles possibly in the way blocking the radiant heat. This heater heats objects and not the air, once these objects absorb the radiant heat they will then release the heat and warm the air.

Infrared and radiant heat rays will bounce of smooth shiny surfaces anything else will block the path of the rays and will absorb the heat. So if you have for example a sofa in front of this heater all the radiant rays will be going into the heater. You have said it yourself they are good if you sit directly in front of it but not very good for space heating. You need other forms of heating to do increase the air temperature effectively. Radiant heat is good for garages or warehouses where you want to warm the people and not the room.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Swipe wrote: »
    I think these panels are more designed for a workshop-type environment where the air is cold due to bad insulation but provide warmth when standing sitting directly in front of them. If possible, it might be worth trying to mount it on the ceiling and have it radiate heat down on to you instead.

Good idea, some of the installs on their website shows them mounted on the ceiling.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure