LPG tank doesnt meet safety regs?

Options
Sooooo, we bought a house with LPG gas supply and have now begun to look at refilling the tank. New to the world of LPG we did some homework here (thank you) and found a good deal. However.... now we have been told we cant have the supply because the tank doesnt meet the 3m rule. Flogas is who have said this but the previous house owner went with another company. The twist in the tale is that Flogas originally installed the tank! We obviously have no current contract so are at a loss on what to do.

Can anyone help or advise please?

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a suitable location that would meet the 3m rule?

If so, either get Flogas to move it or go to someone else who will either move it or supply a new tank.

Either way, you will probably have to provide a new base at your expense.

Many years ago now, I managed to shame Calor into moving the tank because it was under a 11kV power line. I left them after the minimum two year period for someone cheaper. I did have to provide the new base.
  • PJ9506
    PJ9506 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Do you have a suitable location that would meet the 3m rule?

If so, either get Flogas to move it or go to someone else who will either move it or supply a new tank.

Either way, you will probably have to provide a new base at your expense.

Many years ago now, I managed to shame Calor into moving the tank because it was under a 11kV power line. I left them after the minimum two year period for someone cheaper. I did have to provide the new base.

No, there is nowhere that is 3m clear of housing or neighbouring fences with sheds in their gardens etc within our boundary unfortunately. So I guess we are stuffed.
  • Mister_G
    Options
  • PJ9506
    PJ9506 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ours is an above ground one but that also says 3m clearance.

My husband phoned Calor for some advice. They have said basically the tank was installed before the regulations were brought in so it is exempt from them and the previous supplier can still supply. So from what we understand we are now tied to the previous supplier because of this, regardless of the fact we have no contract which means we cant shop around and get the best deal. They also said once the tank becomes too old there will be no replacing it for the same reason. I dont really understand how it can be ok for one supplier but not another!
  • Mister_G
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of LPG!

You will read many posts here about people who have been in a similar situation. It really is a minefield out there. You will discover that there is very little regulation of the industry.

I'm not too sure about the rule that states only the original installer can fill the tank if it no longer meets the current regulations. Doesn't sound right to me.

If it is right, then if Flogas installed it originally then they should still fill it.

Good luck!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The regulations change periodically. As Calor said, it complied with the regs when it was installed. There is no requirement to move/upgrade it when regs change otherwise people would be forever moving their tanks.

The same thing applies to house electrics and other regs. For example, the regs used to require consumer units to be plastic. Then they changed to metal. Then back to plastic (or was it vice verse)!? But provided a househoilder's CU complied when it was installed, they did not have to keep swopping.

In your position I'd go back to Flogas and argue the point. Make clear it complied when it was installed and see what they say.
  • ChasingButterflies
    Options
    PJ9506 wrote: »
    They have said basically the tank was installed before the regulations were brought in so it is exempt from them and the previous supplier can still supply. So from what we understand we are now tied to the previous supplier

So speak to flogas and negotiate a contract with them to supply you?

We had an empty property with lpg supplies by flogas... once we moved in the delivery chap said that the tank needed to be replaced, and it couldn’t wait. So they replaced it, we didn’t realise that we weren’t in contract. We mistakenly assumed we had taken over the contract. Fast forward 18 months and new neighbours moved in and told us of a fab deal they had found with another supplier for half the price we were paying *sobs* We didn’t quite meet that company’s criteria in terms of where the tank was sited, however DH went back to flogas, they matched the price for 2 years and reduced the standing charge by 50% (because they were under the impression we would leave)

Research and then negotiate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport