Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Feb 19, 6:26 AM
    • 3,323Posts
    • 46,535Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Tuesday 12th February 2019
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:26 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 12th February 2019 12th Feb 19 at 6:26 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 12th February 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still pitch black here, not raining and now dry underfoot, and there's been a frost.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly, there's pancake batter in the fridge, he's requested pancakes with lemon juice and brown sugar.

Dinner tonight will be duck legs in red wine with mash and veg. I remembered to get the duck legs out to defrost overnight. Dinner last night was breaded chicken portion for DH and DS1 with smoked sausage and mushroom pasta in a creme fraiche sauce - lovely it was clean plates all round.

Yesterday was another either manic or dead - a good part of it manic, it seems this will be the way it is certainly for the coming weeks but the day just flew by.

Hairdresser coming tonight so we'll be eating a bit later, but food needs a while in the oven so I'm going to get it in the oven before she comes then I can always turn it down if I need to.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 12-02-2019 at 6:39 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Feb 19, 11:54 AM
    • 7,083 Posts
    • 47,781 Thanks
    Gers
    I'm home! It was a very long slow journey this time, and in the pouring rain too. There was lots more heavy traffic on the road, some of which were wide loads and others were just slow.

Last night, when I turned on the ceiling light in DM's living room there was a very loud bang and the glass bulb separated from the bayonet end! Deaf DM didn't hear a thing, I almost jumped out of my skin. I've organised an electrician to come out to have a look at it in case the fitting needs replaced, he's coming on Thursday when the cleaner is there.

I've fed the birds, made a cup of tea and cleared some work emails. More to do but they can wait a couple of more hours.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 12th Feb 19, 12:14 PM
    • 9,372 Posts
    • 10,778 Thanks
    -taff
    C'mon Nanny, get with the program! Gers, bit of a shock that, hope there was no shower of glass!
    Well, appointment went well, they found micrometastases [tiny bits] in one node, and none in the rest so huzzah...And they aspirated the seroma without a fight about it so double huzzah.
    Hope your appt goes well too Holly
    For the rest of the day I will be watching house building type programs to see whats availalbe ofr extension building for future reference and some gok filling peoples houses for free to allay my diy obsession...and repairing a firend of the OHs coat, have started on the patching with thread job, have to wear my I-can't-see-close-up-anymore glasses for that one
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Feb 19, 12:24 PM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 16,303 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Apologies all. Yes it is Tuesday I was probably wishing it was Monday again as I hate going with Mr Fix It because there's always some sort of problem, but he needs moral support ( as in someone to talk to ) and supervision .

Right heading out the door in a moment, just waiting for the WM to finish.
    I'll try that again.......

Happy TUESDAY all !!
    PS.taff I'm glad your appointment went as well as expected. Sorry I still seem to be all over the shop today
    Last edited by nannywindow; 12-02-2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: forgot to add
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Feb 19, 3:12 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 19,122 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Well, appointment went well, they found micrometastases [tiny bits] in one node, and none in the rest so huzzah...And they aspirated the seroma without a fight about it so double huzzah.
    Hope your appt goes well too Holly
    Originally posted by -taff
    I'm pleased the appointment went well. Good news that they only found micrometastases in one node and that the rest are clear . Now that the seroma has been drained hopefully you will start to heal and be a lot more comfortable. I remember the having to sleep on the sofa because of the surgery stage, hopefully it won't be long until you are able to sleep in your bed again.

My appointment went ok as well thanks. I'm healing really well and should be able to start the radiotherapy on the side I had done first by the end of March.

Nanny I hope that you don't have to wait too long for Mr Fixit to have his injection this afternoon.
    Gers that must have been a terrible scare for you, thankfully it didn't break and shatter you with glass.

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone x
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Feb 19, 3:41 PM
    • 7,083 Posts
    • 47,781 Thanks
    Gers
    Gers, bit of a shock that, hope there was no shower of glass!
    Originally posted by -taff

Gers that must have been a terrible scare for you, thankfully it didn't break and shatter you with glass.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Thanks - I did get a fright. No idea where the end of the bulb is, the bit with the bayonet fitting in has jumped somewhere. I think it's under the big sofa as it's not in sight.

On the way home I bought some calves liver, a very rare treat, which I've just had with piles of caramelised onions and veg. I've filled in some forms and made an appointment for myself at a Glasgow hospital. My referral to gynae came through but, as I'm so far away I get the option to call up and make an appointment over the phone. Nothing nasty or urgent, I just want a chat about removing the TVT which was put in August 2001. Probably not even any action.

The postman has brought a couple of things from A mazon, he even stopped for a chat. He's mostly very grumpy though mostly helpful.

I've a new Mick Herron book to read, this one is set in Newcastle so the places mentioned are very familiar. I'll tuck myself under the heated throw for a couple hours of being sedentary!
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Feb 19, 3:47 PM
    • 4,350 Posts
    • 33,311 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Afternoon folks. Well today's appointments for the poorlies seemed to go well. I hope Mr Fixit and NAN are not kept waiting too long at their Oncology appt.

As usual I had a lovely meet up with my friend, followed by lunch. We have decided to work our way through the menu as everything looks really nice! Today we had Broccoli and Cheese bake with salad and garlic bread. It was lovely but rather a small serving (or are we gluttons!) The next table had Chicken Winter Casserole which was in a much bigger dish than ours, accompanied by crusty bread. We overheard the man say it was very tasty so guess what we are having next week!!

A little trawl of the shops followed and just time for the nearing sell by date shop before bus time. More delicious Dole frozen raspberries to add to my stash and at 2 bags for 1 a real bargain. Plus a ginormous pack of cooking bacon - 910 gms for 1.29. Just portioned 7 bags of chopped pieces up and hardly any fat to cut off. That'll keep my soup making going for a while.

Now awaiting the wm finishing and will hang on the airer upstairs. Then I am going to look into the possibility of a water meter. My elderly neighbours pay on average 18 a month for their usage, whereas my bill without a meter is 60 a month - just for me! That would be a big saving for me.

Righto wm now finished. Take care all. NELSKI I was with you in spirit honest!! xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 12th Feb 19, 4:30 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 13,004 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all. Had a trip out today. Went to a large garden centrr for a look round. Then we decided to go on to Weston Super Mare. We had a walk along the seafront and a look around the shops. I am looking for a little wooden handled hairbrush to keep in my handbag but no luck today.

Mr Gintot treated us to a Greggs steak bake. We know how to live!

Nannyw hope Mr Fixit's oncology visit goes well..

Taff good news. Hope you feel more comfortable soon.

Specky snap I just came out with a cold too.

Well hugs to all who need them. Hang in there Spring is just around the corner.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • -taff
    • By -taff 12th Feb 19, 5:03 PM
    • 9,372 Posts
    • 10,778 Thanks
    -taff
    My appointment went ok as well thanks. I'm healing really well and should be able to start the radiotherapy on the side I had done first by the end of March.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey

Definitely a fun day with no chores then!! and a celebration tomorrow too!
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 12th Feb 19, 6:26 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 24,490 Thanks
    snoozer
    TA, we had a meter put in a few years ago and our bills went down to a third of what they were and we certainly don't stint ourselves, although we don't really water the garden which I gather can push the bills up a lot.

Good news Holly and -taff. I wish I could report good news but Steve is still in hospital. He's now been told they'll keep him for 48 hours after his temps normalise but this evening he's back up to 38.6 again! His platelets etc are all still very low as well. He seems a bit better in himself though so hopefully it's just a very slow recovery.

Sue goes home tomorrow so I will take her to the station at MK before toddling off to the hospital. We had lunch at Wimpole Hall NT so we only need a snack meal tonight. I still feel quite full.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Feb 19, 7:05 PM
    • 27,206 Posts
    • 115,176 Thanks
    candygirl
    Well after two weeks of gas men faffing around, my gas fire had been deemed kaputt
    Need to go n look for a new one tomoz grrr.This one's only 4 years old
    TA my water bill was 50 without a meter, n it's only 22 with one, so go for it hun x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Feb 19, 7:11 PM
    • 12,894 Posts
    • 46,425 Thanks
    Nelski
    TA agree with going for the meter ....206 last year for me and yes I do shower

candy so sorry hun this has been a farce
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

2,114Users online

Martin's Twitter