Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Feb 19, 5:26 AM
    • 3,374Posts
    • 47,320Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Tuesday 12th February 2019
    • 12th Feb 19, 5:26 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 12th February 2019 12th Feb 19 at 5:26 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 12th February 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still pitch black here, not raining and now dry underfoot, and there's been a frost.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly, there's pancake batter in the fridge, he's requested pancakes with lemon juice and brown sugar.

Dinner tonight will be duck legs in red wine with mash and veg. I remembered to get the duck legs out to defrost overnight. Dinner last night was breaded chicken portion for DH and DS1 with smoked sausage and mushroom pasta in a creme fraiche sauce - lovely it was clean plates all round.

Yesterday was another either manic or dead - a good part of it manic, it seems this will be the way it is certainly for the coming weeks but the day just flew by.

Hairdresser coming tonight so we'll be eating a bit later, but food needs a while in the oven so I'm going to get it in the oven before she comes then I can always turn it down if I need to.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 12-02-2019 at 5:39 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Feb 19, 5:50 AM
    • 4,437 Posts
    • 34,699 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 12th Feb 19, 5:50 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 5:50 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Quiet start on here today, I hope that means the insomniacs have slept better. After my good night Sunday I was back to fitful sleeping again last night. Bah!

It feels a bit nippy but we are set to reach double figures later - 10 deg. Wow. But I am under no illusion that it will last as we quite often get snow well into March.

The CBA jobs got done yesterday. The freezer sort outs got finished and a new inventory made up. This time I will keep on top of it! All the DGDs' bedding got ironed and the beds re-made. Note to self here - do not wash all the lot at the same time in future as it left me exhausted!

Nice easy day today. I am meeting my oldest buddy for our Tuesday coffee get-together, followed by lunch and a browse of the shops. I like Tuesdays!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely. TAFF, POLLY, HOLLY and STEVE in my thoughts. OL at least now you know what the problem is and hopefully something can be done to ease the pain. BOZWOOD I hope your DD had a better day at school. Girls can be so cruel to each other. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Feb 19, 5:52 AM
    • 7,236 Posts
    • 49,321 Thanks
    Gers
    • 12th Feb 19, 5:52 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 5:52 AM
    Morning everyone.

I'll be heading back home in about an hour. My trip was to be here when my DM's new mattress was to be delivered early this morning, well in the late afternoon the delivery bloke phoned to ask if he could deliver at half past six. Of course the answer was 'yes'. So, it's all done, no early morning shuffles or sleeping in a strange bed.

For now I hope that things are fine with everyone. Happy Tuesday.

(Shetland starts tonight )
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Feb 19, 6:08 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 20,051 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:08 AM
    Morning everyone

It was such a lovely day yesterday that when I had been to the supermarket I took a slow stroll home through the part in the sunshine. It certainly feels like spring is finally on the way now.

Today I really must dust through and give the bathroom a clean but that will have to be this afternoon because Iíve got a hospital appointment this morning.

Yesterday I was looking for something in a kitchen cupboard and ended up with everything out on the worktop and still couldnít find what I was looking for. I will have to go through those cupboards at some point, but not for a while.

Take care everyone x
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Feb 19, 6:08 AM
    • 784 Posts
    • 11,572 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

Lovely day here yesterday, so mild, managed to line dry the laundry.

Life is the same old, nothing much ever happens which in one way I suppose is good.

Thoughts are with everyone finding life difficult at the moment

Take care all
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 12th Feb 19, 6:17 AM
    • 7,001 Posts
    • 98,441 Thanks
    redruby
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:17 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:17 AM
    Morning all

Seems a lot cooler here today but meant to be a lovely day its the lovely Tuesday group today so all is good. Tea cakes and Lasagne today !!

Not sure about dinner tonight will go and look in freezer after this there is some chicken in breadcrumbs in there or some pork joint but I need to see if it can be cooked from frozen if so we will have that with mash and veg.

Quick tidy round tonight and will put a wash on.

Have good days all xx
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 12th Feb 19, 6:31 AM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 23,951 Thanks
    RosyRed
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:31 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:31 AM
    Morning all,
    I was up early for me as I have been awake since 5 and heard Ly1a start grumbling so came down before she woke the household! Of course she's snoozing away again now.The house feels cold and a quick look outside confirms the car windscreens are frozen again.
    This morning I want to pop in town to pick up a click & collect book from the works, and then call in to see Auntie on the way back. Its a recipe book for my new instant pot and was a lot cheaper than most others out there.Made a lovely beef stew last night and had it with crusty bread.I put it on the keep warm function after we'd eaten,as DS2 was at the gym so he just helped himself once he'd showered.
    Right better get dressed and get the kettle on. I hope you all have a good day x
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Feb 19, 6:39 AM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 27,014 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:39 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:39 AM
    Morning, thank you for starting us off nmlc.

I had a lie in today, until nearly 5 o'clock, although I did get up for a quick wee earlier.

Today I need to do our bed, which I meant to do yesterday but got sidetracked. As ever, there is washing to do and I'm hoping to get some out on the line - even if it doesn't dry fully, it always seems fresher and nicer.

Car is going into the garage for some modification on recall, hopefully we'll have it back later and then it goes in for the MOT later in the week. I'm hoping it will be usable on Thursday as my postponed meeting with a voluntary organisation is then. I could go on the train though.

Other than that, not a great deal happening here. It sounds as though the equine flu thing has been managed which must be good news for Lainey and Mehefin.

Holly, I was thinking that spring seems not too far off, too.

Thinking of those of us who are worried, sad of unwell.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 12th Feb 19, 6:42 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 8,284 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:42 AM
    • 12th Feb 19, 6:42 AM
    Good morning, it's dry here, don't think it's that cold though. It seems darker than it should be, don't know if rain is forecast.

TA, this insomniac slept better, after a run of rubbish nights. Hope you enjoy your day out.

I'm going to Tai Chi, then on to visit one of my friends from Tai Chi who has been ill. I'll buy some sandwiches for us both at Gr*ggs, and have lunch with her.

The landing cupboard is coming on well, it's a big cupboard and the contents are in the spare bedroom. Hope no one wants to come and stay, they would get lost in all the stuff, The bed is covered in coats anyway, out of the cupboard.

it'll be our usual quiz tonight, and that'll be Tuesday sorted.

Thinking of the sad and poorly.

Take care folks
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Feb 19, 6:59 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 20,889 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

It's confirmed: I have the cold. I also have a sore head but that might be due to the clash of heads I suffered at football on Sunday. So I'm a bit of a wet towel for now. I'll survive.

Yesterday, I was first in work and last out. Busy but productive. Home to make my dinner, prep my lunch and go to bed just after 9. A restless night was had but I'm first in work again. I've brought my gym stuff and depending on how I feel, I might visit afterwards.

Need to go and cross check my bank, now that it's caught up with last weeks activities, with YNAB and also put my expense form in too.

Gers - Ah, I'm with you now. Did I see Dibby on a Attenborough documentary once?
    Scarlet - Good luck tonight.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • -taff
    • By -taff 12th Feb 19, 7:08 AM
    • 9,870 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    -taff
    Morning!Little prince is in, crawling in every available space at the moment. The little princess came round yesterday as well, thought she'd been given away, we haven't seen her since the summer.
    SPaghetti for me last night, chilli for OH, there was enough spaghetti left for my dinner today but unfortunately, I leave the gas on low underneath when I'm mixing in the sauce and cheese, I plated up, forgot it was on low. I was sniffing away for a while when we were watching something, thinking I could smell something..I could, it was the remainder of the pasta burning merrily away....doh!
    Todays plans are hospital and search for P60's when I get back. Two will be online, no idea where the third one is.

Still on the sofa so joining the SOS morse code sleepers....
    Holly, fun remember? not chores TA, healthy stick sleep bashing...Good luck with the quiz scarlet and hope your head gets better speky Gers, result! Hope your car gets done quickly AOD, reminds me, I have to call about mine. Wotcha Poppy, tru.
    Thunderingly good Tuesday everyone.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Feb 19, 7:16 AM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 34,593 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Bright and sunny here today with no sign of a frost, my spring planted pots are coming on a treat and a welcome splash of colour in the garden.
    Need to get down to the village and visit the garden centre today to pick up some more bird food, I might even get my bike out of the shed and cycle down as could do with the exercise!

Thanks for the heads up on a new series of Shetland Gers.

Hugs to all with worries and care, take care folks x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Feb 19, 7:18 AM
    • 12,967 Posts
    • 47,599 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Think its ice free out there although it can be deceptive if its black ice. Another one who woke at 5 as usual but turned over and had another hour so feel like I actually have had sleep today

Great work day yesterday I was on a roll sales wise and filled a few empty Feb days. Dentist was OK although as predicted the woman who does the polish made sure it was painful and then told me off for not using the brushes although surprisingly this time it was a long brush she was telling me was essential (which you can only buy from reception of course ) She also made a real performance out of a very small filling ....3 injections to make sure its still sore where she stabbed me this morning ....i'm thinking of asking my lovely dentist not to refer me to her anymore she really is a witch.

Dinner last night was the left over sausage and mash with a few beans. Caught up with my husband too who had started his new programme on Great British food. Well worth a look he was in the Orkneys and the seafood looked just amazing.

Today of course is mum day ....send help quick

TA enjoy your favourite day I am the yin to your yang and loathe Tuesdays

Have a great day all
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 12th Feb 19, 7:19 AM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 25,176 Thanks
    snoozer
    Steve update, still in hospital, still spiking temps. They don't seem to have a clue why. He sounds bright enough though.

Today will be groundhog day. Visiting etc.

Hgs to all the poorlies and carers.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Feb 19, 7:21 AM
    • 4,262 Posts
    • 53,161 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Morning All

Glad the mattress arrived Gers, that's good service.
    Feel better soon Specky.

I took DD to Costco yesterday, just bought toilet rolls but did fill up with fuel, it's so much cheaper there. Also paid a quick visit to Tesco and a new Home Bargains that opened yesterday morning, very busy and absolutely huge so I stocked up on toiletries.

Had a lazy afternoon knitting and watching TV - good use of a day off! I have another day off today, not much planned but if the rain holds off I'll go for a walk to get a couple of bits for lunches this week.

Washing up to date, just need to have a dust round of the living room once I've emptied the ash pan.

Happy Tuesday, take care. XX
    • Bozwood
    • By Bozwood 12th Feb 19, 7:28 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    Bozwood
    Morning everyone. Dd had a good day at school and she is ok she does have a good teacher who does care and I spoke to her at parents evening last night she could only say good things about dd she is a good girl she likes homework and does extra I just want her happy she does SATS this time and I worry that she will get stressed about it and really it’s just for the schools benefit. Working today most of it and after school. I am going to call in Sainsbury’s I don’t normally but it the 25 percent off starts today
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Feb 19, 8:31 AM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 26,268 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Brrrrr its cold this morning. I have to go to the PO to post a parcel, it will have to wait a bit until its warmer.

For those of you who are fans of Escape to the Chateau, !!!! has a new ETTC DIY show starting on 18th of this month. Channel 5 at 5pm. We had a catch up email from them this morning. They are also publishing a second edition of the book they published last year.

OH had a good time at evergreens yesterday, he took his dominoes with him, they payed a couple of games. He was in and out at the hospital for his X Ray, have to ring the surgery at the end of the week for the results.

DD2 was ok yesterday, we had a good natter, she is going to stay at DGS next week to look after the dog, they are off to Poland with the baby to see DGS partners parents.

Load of coloureds in the washer. I managed to get the bed lien dry yesterday, the sheet and duvet cover were not creased so they have been folded and put away. I just have the pillowcases to iron.

Nothing planned for today, will nip over and see my neighbour who fell last week, make sure she is ok. Her son and daughter in law were there at the weekend. I have double booked Thursday so will go to Aldi tomorrow instead.

Sausage and mash for supper tonight. DGS sent me cake from his birthday, he had two, we had one last night, will have the second for dessert after supper tonight.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Feb 19, 9:26 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 17,671 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all
    Today it's grey and grey, what a difference from yesterdays sunshine .
    This morning I shall strip the bed, dust the bedroom and hoover, then remake the bed. I'll probably put the bedding in the WM, but I wish I'd done it yesterday as it could have a blow on the line .

This afternoon we are heading out to get Mr Fix It's oncology injection done. They only seem to do them in the afternoon and the nurse is always on catch up, so we'll be late home.
    I took out some spag bol sauce out of the freezer last night and we were going to have that for tea, but on checking it this morning I think it's curry . Oh well I'll just have to cook some rice to go with it .
    Hope everyone has a good Monday, whatever you are doing.
    Take care and hugs to all.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 12th Feb 19, 10:13 AM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 49,334 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Morning all,

Overcast here today, yesterday was lovely and sunny, got 3 machine loads dried outside,. I hate clothes hanging around the house to dry.

Rota went haywire at the weekend, yesterday was my third day in a row to cook, so sitting back and letting "children" take over for the rest of the week!

Sorry to hear that some of you are still finding it difficult to sleep.

Snoozer, hope that Steve is better today and that he is back home soon.

Nothing planned for today, just have to collect DGD3 from football practice at 3.45, might sort a few seeds for sowing in the greenhouse next week.! Might even do a bit of pruning in the garden, or knitting. First thing I must do is have something to eat as the orange I had earlier has worn off.

Much love to all.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Feb 19, 10:17 AM
    • 12,967 Posts
    • 47,599 Thanks
    Nelski
    Hope everyone has a good Monday, whatever you are doing.
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    oh i wish but sadly buddy its Tuesday

Hope Mr Fixits injection is done speedily and painlessly x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

4,933Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin