Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 3,150Posts
    • 34,800Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11
    • 20th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11 20th Jan 19 at 9:26 AM
    MSE have asked that we start a new thread for 2019 so here it is - a shiny new weight loss thread. I'm not sure where Knit Witch is or even if she wants to run it so in the mean time folks, if you don't mind suffering me I'll do my best to keep up the totals and challenge dates.

Here's the links to previous challenges

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

[B]Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???

and here are some more useful links. If any of them are out of date or don't work please let me know and I'll remove them.

MSE links
    OldStyle Healthy recipes threads
    Menu Plans Collection

Outside Links

Free food/calorie tracking
    My Fitness Pal (iphone and android apps as well as online)
    MyNetDiary
    Caloriecount

The rest on google

Free printable food diary
    Printable portion guide

NHS healthy eating website
    BMI calculator
    Weight loss 2019 6 lbs
    February '19 GC 76.61/200 + 20 savings
    Freezer restock 30 Celebration fund 30
Page 3
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 22nd Jan 19, 9:06 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 9,701 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Flippin freezing here!

B: multigrain cereal
    L: 2 slices of pizza, ice cream
    S: 2 slices of pizza and salad
    Snack: 1 digestive biscuit

Not great on the diet today. DH was at home and ordered a pizza for lunch. I've spread 4 slices across 2 meals, usually I would eat that much for one meal. Portion size is something I need to work on so I thought today was a good time to start.

I'm going to go to bed early again as I find reading takes my mind off eating!
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 22nd Jan 19, 9:37 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Thanks Cranky I hadn't really considered what 1lb Of weight actually looks like, now I shall visualise packs of butter, that make me feel so much more positive.

Having said that I did not stick to plan today and rapidly fell down a well of cheesy pasta bake and biscuits.
    Still drawing a line and back on it tomorrow promise.

Btw I love Pinch of Nom and also two chubby cubs (although they are not for the easily offended as their language is pretty blue!)
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 22nd Jan 19, 10:00 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    Brambling
    Hi Cranky can I join in please I've lost 2 stone since July some of it more than once unfortunately I've a way to go before i can fit back into the clothes currently hiding under the bed. Can you put me down for 10lb please, I've lost my Christmas weight gain so it's just a matter of getting back on track.

The difficult time for me is evenings, mouth hunger rather than actual hunger I can also be led astray by the biscuit tin at work, this time of year everyone has brought their Christmas LOs in.
    • fit and freaky
    • By fit and freaky 22nd Jan 19, 11:27 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    fit and freaky
    Hi. Please can I join? I have somewhere between 2.5 and 3 stone to lose. I have lost 5lbs so far since 1st of January which is quite impressive when there have already been 2 family birthdays this month! 16 lbs by end of March - random figure I know but it will take me to a round stone figure.
    Been following SW but stormed out last week when my scales said Id lost a lb but theirs said Id gained a lb 😳 Might go back this week but if they dont catch me up Im leaving. Will still follow the plan though.
    • fit and freaky
    • By fit and freaky 22nd Jan 19, 11:30 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    fit and freaky
    Oh and I’ve started back at the gym too
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 22nd Jan 19, 11:39 PM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    The day started well but I've just come online to stop me snacking.

Breakfast none
    L:- Tomato soup 1 x brown roll-no butter, apple and satsuma.
    I don't know if this will help anyone but I make my own 'cheats' tomato soup. One 400gm tin of plum tomatoes and than a variety of flavours, todays was one clove of garlic and one small chilli all heated and whizzed up together, came in at under 100 calories. I've also tried it with fresh basil which is quite acceptable
    D:- a small portion of steak and kidney (no suet pastry, I left that for the others around the table) with loads of cauliflower, broccoli and green beans.
    But my downfall was apple and mincemeat crumble with custard. I'll have to put my mind to some low cal desserts. I've also just raided the leg of Palma ham, that's the reason I've come online as it's so moreish.

Tea and coffee have been kept to just a few but I've been drinking warm water which I quite like
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 23rd Jan 19, 8:34 AM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 8,099 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning,

I'm a very slow runner as well but it gets me out in the fresh air and makes me feel amazing...afterwards.

I was doing well after Xmas and lost 8lb but as soon as I had my first chocolate that was the end of the good intentions and my sweet craving was unbelievable. So yesterday I started back on plan and so far so good. I am trying to cut down on coffee and tea but the headaches are a nightmare. Trying to limit myself to 1 cup a day and then have herbal teas or water. Love the support on this thread already.
    • AUDITOR
    • By AUDITOR 23rd Jan 19, 12:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    AUDITOR
    To anyone who is looking at losing more than 1lb (1/2kg) a week, DON'T! It's not sustainable and it's not healthy. I studied food science and one of my friends being a Professor and acknowledged world expert on healthy eating. And note that DIETICIANS have to be properly qualified, but any old Tom, !!!! or Henrietta can call themseves a nutritionist with no qualifiacitons whatsoever.
    • Plain Jane
    • By Plain Jane 23rd Jan 19, 12:09 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Plain Jane
    Hello, please can I join too? I have been on the DFW board for years but didn't know about this one until I saw Martin's email this week.

I would like to lose 7lbs this quarter. I have a lot to lose so don't want to divulge my weight just now but I would love to lose around a 1lb a week. 7lbs seems doable as I have trouble with diets and losing weight.

PJ
    Just one figure from now on - Total Debt as at 27.8.18 - 44,061.26.

Target to be under 40k by 31.12.18.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 23rd Jan 19, 12:44 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 34,800 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good afternoon everyone,

I weighed in this morning and I've lost a pound this week. I'm still getting rid of my Christmas gain which was fairly horrendous. Like Munchin said, one chocolate was all it took and I was away! I was driving in the frozen hail and snow this morning (I give my two friends a lift to fat class or I would have stayed in) and although I felt fine at the time I'm shattered now. It took so much longer than usual.

Brambling, fit and freaky and Plain Jane I've added you to the list. It's lovely to have you here with us.

SIRENS I've read quite a lot of the Chubby Cubs travel blogs and recipes. I agree they're probably only for the very broad minded but I've found some of them hilarious and you can just skip the reading and go straight to the recipe. Their Thai Chicken dipping balls are one of the easiest recipes I've ever made.

dumpling how lovely to have Lee cooking for you. The HT has zero interest in food and can only make toast or pasta with sauce. Even the toast is a bit dodgy as he jumps every time the toast pops out of the toaster

Onwards and downwards folks and take care all of you
    Weight loss 2019 6 lbs
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 23rd Jan 19, 12:46 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 34,800 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

big5 ....................0/14
    Brambling.............0/10
    Cranky..................1/11
    dandy-candy..........0/14
    Doing it my way.....0/10
    dumpling...............0/14
    fit and freaky..........0/16
    Ginmonster............0/0
    monks...................0/10
    MrsLottie................0/10
    Munchin.................0/14
    Plain Jane...............0/7
    Rose Wood.............0/7
    SIRENS..................1/14
    zafiro1984..............0/14

Group weight loss week 1 ........... 2 lbs
    Weight loss 2019 6 lbs
    • MrsLottie
    • By MrsLottie 23rd Jan 19, 1:50 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    MrsLottie
    Good idea Zafiro to come on here when you feel tempted to eat .Think I will adopt that too. been too busy to eat this morning shopping and dog walking but just had some lovely veg soup and ryvita with cheese spread and tomato. Daughter and family coming for tea so have bought a few treats for afters - will need to be very careful around them ,perhaps damage limitations will be put into practice instead of a large portion of temptation . We will see !
    • savesummore
    • By savesummore 23rd Jan 19, 2:01 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 11,407 Thanks
    savesummore
    Hi everyone,

Can I join in please? Can I be put down for 10lbs and is it OK to weigh in on a Friday?
    I've only ready page 1 so sorry if I have missed any important bits (i'm on my lunch so will catch up the other 2 pages later)
    I used to post here and lost 1 & 1/2 stones but this was YEARS ago (scary thought it might have been 8 yrs ago!)
    Im the big 40 this year (EEEKKKKK!!!) and don't want to be 40 and fat! My ideal weight would be around 9st 10lbs so that's the end game (hopefully) Only 2 stone to go *sigh*
    I use MFP and exercise by walking or doing exercise DVDs (I have many its a bad buying habit of mine but I do always buy 2nd hand ones so a bit MSE there)
    Today:
    B: homemade wholemeal drop scones, blueberries, banana
    L: HM tomato soup, 2 chicken drummers, orange
    S: Apple and maybe 2 x ryvita with cheese triangle
    T: pork chops, I think with rice and salad but not sure yet
    S: May have 1 or 2 celebration chocolate (I have to have something after my tea (bad habit)
    E: 15 min walk at lunch time and I will be doing 40 mins of Ministry of Sound exercise DVD when home

Sorry for the massive post!!!
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
    • Doing it my way
    • By Doing it my way 23rd Jan 19, 2:05 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Doing it my way
    I may have missed where it's been said but is there a set weigh in day or do we just do our own? I am so nervous of admitting to cheating on here that I am too scared to pinch a biscuit!!
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 23rd Jan 19, 4:57 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    SIRENS
    I may have missed where it's been said but is there a set weigh in day or do we just do our own? I am so nervous of admitting to cheating on here that I am too scared to pinch a biscuit!!
    Originally posted by Doing it my way
    Hi you can weigh in any day you prefer but just try to post your loss or gain in red so that Cranky can see it clearly and update the chart. Don't worry we are all human and some days are better than others so no judgement here, just lots of ideas and support x
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 23rd Jan 19, 5:16 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 8,543 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Hi All,

We woke up to snow and ice this morning but I managed a snowy walk (3 miles) and then the sun came out and melted it enough to mean I could play tennis this afternoon. It was absolutely glorious too - though hard to play facing the sun.

Food today:
    Brunch: Bacon, eggs, mushrooms
    Dinner: Baked aubergine topped with bacon(left over from this morning), peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese.
    Treat: 4 small squares of dark chocolate to go with my coffee.

I like weighing in on a Friday as I tend to feed the family at the weekend and it gives me the rest of the week to be strict before I weigh again. That said I actually weigh myself every morning as I like to see the effect of various food and life style choices. I just record it once a week though.

I am definitely finding it motivating to post on here, and like the poster above, it makes it easier not to grab a sly snack. I find recording what I eat on the app on my phone also helps as I don't want to go over my target. I don't count calories but aim for no more than 50g of carbohydrates per day.
    Weight Loss Challenge 1/1/19 9st 12
    Target 8st 12

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps for January 19,317
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 23rd Jan 19, 5:34 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 34,800 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    If anyone wants a good calorie counting phone or pc app then myfitnesspal.com is great. I haven't had anything yet that wasn't on their database and you can record your own recipes and then save them which is handy for those of us who like to cook. If you have a fitness tracker you can connect a lot of them to the app too so that you earn an extra calorie allowance for exercising.

savesummore, I'll add you to the list now. It's great to have you in our merry little gang. As SIRENS said you can weigh on any day of the week - whatever suits you best. Just let us know on here how you've done and I'll record it on the group list/totals.

While we're still near the beginning I'd just like to say that one thing that it upsets me to see in relation to weight loss is the word "fail". In my book, there's no such thing, just the opportunity to learn and try again armed with more knowledge. That could be learning more about yourself, about the things that affect you and make you prone to emotional eating or learning who will help you with your goals and which of your friends would prefer you to stay overweight to make them look good. Either way, be kinder to yourselves. If it was easy we'd all look like Twiggy and this group wouldn't be here
    Weight loss 2019 6 lbs
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 23rd Jan 19, 5:35 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 34,800 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

big5 ....................0/14
    Brambling.............0/10
    Cranky..................1/11
    dandy-candy..........0/14
    Doing it my way.....0/10
    dumpling...............0/14
    fit and freaky..........0/16
    Ginmonster............0/0
    monks...................0/10
    MrsLottie................0/10
    Munchin.................0/14
    Plain Jane...............0/7
    Rose Wood.............0/7
    savesummore.........0/10
    SIRENS..................1/14
    zafiro1984..............0/14

Group weight loss week 1 ........... 2 lbs
    Last edited by CRANKY40; 24-01-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    Weight loss 2019 6 lbs
    • ktj
    • By ktj 23rd Jan 19, 5:44 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    ktj
    Hi, count me in.
    Start weight 92kg. and I aim to lose 1kg per week!
    wish me luck. kje
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 23rd Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    It's great to see the group growing in number.

B:- nope
    L:- left over vegs from last night turned into soup. OK I did cook more than needed on purpose and it was mainly cauliflower and broccoli with a few green beans. Whizzed it all up and added herbs and a bit of Roquefort cheese.
    D:- it's just cooking, a salmon, & asparagus flan, I've also put a couple of hard boiled eggs and some leeks in it. I'm just having lettuce and the others are having chips which I can very easily resist. I think fruit to follow as I haven't put my mind to Low cal desserts yet - anybody got any ideas?
    November 2018 42.83/100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,585Posts Today

5,666Users online

Martin's Twitter