Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 8:26 AM
    • 3,240Posts
    • 35,751Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11
    • 20th Jan 19, 8:26 AM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11 20th Jan 19 at 8:26 AM
    MSE have asked that we start a new thread for 2019 so here it is - a shiny new weight loss thread. I'm not sure where Knit Witch is or even if she wants to run it so in the mean time folks, if you don't mind suffering me I'll do my best to keep up the totals and challenge dates.

Here's the links to previous challenges

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

[B]Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???

and here are some more useful links. If any of them are out of date or don't work please let me know and I'll remove them.

MSE links
    OldStyle Healthy recipes threads
    Menu Plans Collection

Outside Links

Free food/calorie tracking
    My Fitness Pal (iphone and android apps as well as online)
    MyNetDiary
    Caloriecount

The rest on google

Free printable food diary
    Printable portion guide

NHS healthy eating website
    BMI calculator
    Weight loss 2019 challenge two = 2.5 lbs
    Grocery challenge April £250/£300
Page 16
    • natlie
    • By natlie 12th Feb 19, 12:09 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 5,617 Thanks
    natlie
    Hi

Could I also join please

Since the 27th December I've lost 7.2 lbs I've been doing 2-4 spin classes a week and walking 6 kms 3 times a week and reducing my calories, I am vegan.

I still need to loose 5lbs I am aiming for 31st March for this loss

Here is my list of food from yesterday
    B: Trek Bar Cocoa Chaos cup of coffee
    L: Bol Cauliflower and Sweet potato soup
    S: Grapes
    D: Homemade Pea risotto with tenderstem broccoli
    S: salt and black pepper crisps 25g

today so far I have had

B: Trek Bar Cocoa Chaos and cup of coffee
    S: Canteloupe melon
    L: Bol tomato and lentil soup
    D:

Nat
    Debt: £33,400
    • savesummore
    • By savesummore 12th Feb 19, 12:25 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 11,411 Thanks
    savesummore
    Hi everyone and newcomers,

Today:
    B: Omelette
    S: Chocolate biscuit (blinking work colleagues lol)
    L: Ham and coleslaw wrap, Apple
    S: Yogurt and peaches, maybe some grapes
    T: Jacket potato, cheese, beans and salad
    S: Probably a cheeky choc!

I still cant motivate myself to do exercise DVD I am walking the dog with Oh though but need to do something a bit more strenuous

Have a good day all
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 12th Feb 19, 6:14 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 5,405 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    evening everyone

katie, sometimes it is ok to just eat whatever one likes as a treat!
    I hope you got through the day without falling off the waggon. It is so hard staying on track being tired.

Slowdown, hope you managed without comfort eating too much! And in case you still did, it is fully understandable!

natlie, wow, that is already a nice loss for this year! And very well deserved when I see how much excercise you get!

Oh boy, my trampoline excercise on Sunday was a bit too much... My shoulders and back have stopped aching but my tummy muscles still feel sore...

B bread with almond spread
    L spinach soup, bread with butter
    D polenta with mushrooms and cauli
    S banana, piece of cake (coworker brought some in as it was his birthday)
    E 1 hour swimming

I went swimming for the first time in half a year. We are fortunate enough to have an excelent indoor and outdoor pool, I have a yearly subscription and in summer I go quite often. Especially last summer when it was so hot for weeks. But I usually lose my moyo in autumn....

have a lovely evening everyone! I'm off to the couch with a movie and my knitting.
    Resolution for 2019 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 12th Feb 19, 7:17 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 9,108 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening Everyone,

I've had quite a busy day. The decorator finished the painting today and although he has done a really good job I am a little disappointed with the colour. I chose a light grey, which looks lovely in some lights but seems to be looking quite blue in others. I am sure once pictures are back up and the new blinds up it will look great but at the moment I am not so sure.

I had a 40 minute walk and then Pilates this morning, followed by coffee with friends. I went out for lunch with my Mother and son as the kitchen was still out of bounds. DH was invited too but decided he didn't want to leave the decorator in the house on his own so I took him a sandwich back with me.

Tonight DS has taken his wife out for an early Valentine's meal as they are working on Thursday so I've got DGD overnight again. We had an energetic play so I've had no trouble reaching my step target again. She's safely tucked up in bed now.

Lunch: Prawn omelette with a green salad.
    Dinner: Pork shoulder steak with leeks, mushrooms, butternut squash and half a jacket potato with butter.
    Treats: Six squares of dark chocolate

That should be it for today, although yesterday I had a few Maltesers at work and then was hungry when I got in at half ten and had 2 slices of ham with cream cheese as a snack!

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 6/4/19 10st 4
    Target 8st 12

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps for January 19,317
    Average daily steps for February 19, 449
    Average daily steps for March 20,330
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 12th Feb 19, 8:05 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 10,121 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Rose wood I had exactly the same thing re the paint. It looked completely different on my bedroom wall to the extent that I went back to the shop to check they had mixed the right colour! I ended up repainting it cream.

I managed 8300 steps today. Just spoke to my dad and he managed 12k! I am carrying more weight though, but I will get there eventually
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 13th Feb 19, 7:43 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 6,075 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Thanks Izadora, MrsL and Ricardaracoon.

The group session was really great for my friend. She met some fellow MND sufferers and felt able to talk openly about her symptoms and what the future might hold. She was very brave and I felt lucky to be a part of her life. There were plates of cake and I had a small slice of fruit cake.

But..... my evening went a little awry. My daughter has split up with her long term partner and it's been very painful to watch her in such upset and turmoil. I really feel for them both as their circumstances haven't been easy and I don't feel like they've had a proper shot at an adult relationship. He works around the country and she lives with us. Both in their mid twenties and not being able to live like settled adults. So, the result was a beer last night just to relax me. I was trying to avoid alcohol until Thursday but no. She is very upset again this morning and hasn't gone to work. I'm still in bed having spent a while trying to comfort her. Feel like stuffing myself but trying not to.

I was going to go for an early swim but I'll try later maybe. I was meant to weigh in this morning so I might venture down to the scales in a little while. Might have to register a gain though. We'll see

Anyway, good luck to you all today. I hope everyone stays on track as far as they are able.
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 13th Feb 19, 7:53 AM
    • 337 Posts
    • 5,539 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Just about to go on our morning mile. Hopefully will get another couple of miles in this afternoon, weather permitting, maybe on the beach.

This is what I'm planning to eat today:

B 1 slice toast, black coffee
    L HM minestrone soup, 4 crackers, some grapes
    D Pork chop (fat cut off) in BBQ sauce, done in the SC, roast veg, couscous, corn on the cob

E total of 3.77 miles brisk walk
    Last edited by hatful-of-hollow; 13-02-2019 at 1:29 PM.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 13th Feb 19, 9:18 AM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone, just popping on again to write my meals down.

b - cereal
    l - jacket potato, cottage cheese and beetroot
    d - turkey steak, baby potatoes, peas and carrots
    s - satsumas

I succumbed to a crunchie yesterday and it was like pure nectar in my mouth. However that is it for me, I don't intend to have another for a long while, it was just a really really nice treat.

I had the end of a box of my kids chocolate cereal for breakfast and it was horrible and claggy and left me very thirsty. I will be doing a shopping list for later and putting some better breakfast choices on. I usually have eggs or porridge but we are out of both at the moment. What do you lovely lot have for brekkie?

• Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 13th Feb 19, 9:57 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 9,108 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Hi Dumpling

I don't eat breakfast but try to give DGD a protein based breakfast. This morning she had boiled eggs and toast. Other favourites are pancakes with smoked salmon and cream cheese, Greek yoghurt with berries or sometimes an egg and bacon muffin, which actually is more like a crustless quiche and doesn't actually have any flour in it at all. A cheese and spinach omelette is quite nice too, although she doesn't eat those.
    Target 8st 12

• Izadora
    • By Izadora 13th Feb 19, 10:39 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 5,264 Thanks
    Izadora
    Rose Wood, I hope you get used to the paint colour. It always confuses me how much something can change when you've got a small square vs a whole wall.

Dandy, well done with the steps. There's no need to worry yourself about how many your dad managed, just be proud of your achievement.

Slowdown, it sounds like you've got a lot going on at the moment so I'm not surprised you felt the need for a beer. I think that sometimes it's actually easier to deal with your own problems than watching someone you love in pain. Best of luck with today.

dumpling, I quite often don't have breakfast but when I do it's either a skinny latte (a bit of a waste of money I know but there's a shop near my work that does the most divine coffee), porridge or toast. If I've got time to bother with the chopping, I quite like fruit and yoghurt too.

I'm working from home again today and haven't actually bothered with breakfast. I keep considering having something but there's nothing that I want enough for it to seem worth the calories. Food's still a bit erratic as I'm trying to make it into the hospital each afternoon but it ends up massively cutting across lunchtime so I end up not having anything before I go and it being too late to bother by the time I get back.

Yesterday's food was:
    B - some fruit that was near its use by date
    L - a slice of toast at about 3pm
    D - leftover Linda McCartney beef roast with mash and loads of veg.
    S - a packet of puft hula hoops.

Having felt a bit stir-crazy due to working from home I did decide to walk home from the hospital and set myself a challenge of beating google maps. They list it as a 36min walk, I made it in 31
    Last edited by Izadora; 13-02-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Forgot the snack
    • star trek fan
    • By star trek fan 13th Feb 19, 10:48 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    star trek fan
    I'm registering a 3lb gain, not good when I've got a health check tomorrow. I have been eating loads of cr*p, including 6 packets of crisps yesterday. Didn't enjoy them. I reckon it's emotional eating, Saturday is the 2nd anniversary of losing my wonderful dad and it's hurting.

For breakfast, it's usually porridge with fruit and soya milk, washed down with orange juice. Keeps me full all morning; it's after lunch that the food in the kitchen keeps calling me.

I recently started working from home too, although have an active social life and do voluntary work outside the home. I understand going stir crazy.
    #77 Make 2019 in 2019 £164.04 / £2019
    Weight loss challenge#11 5 lb
    • MrsLottie
    • By MrsLottie 13th Feb 19, 2:16 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    MrsLottie
    Oh dear Slowdown ,itís so hard when our close ones are so upset .why we feel the need to stuff something into our mouth I do not know cos it canít help them and it certainly doesnít help us. I think itís because we feel so helpless , my daughter and her husband long so much to have a baby and I feel like I canít help the situation one little bit and then that anxiety for them somehow turns into me eating chocolate ! Crazy business - weíve just got to keep on fighting the urge and chatting on here helps too. Good luck with banning the goodies or just have one little item if you can .
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Feb 19, 2:56 PM
    • 3,240 Posts
    • 35,751 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good afternoon all,

I went running this morning in between taking my friends to fat class and picking them up again afterwards. I am declaring a loss of 2 lbs this week. I'm pleased with that.

hatful-of-hollow and natlie, I've added you to the list and welcome

SIRENS 1 lb is still 4 blocks of butter and 1lb a week is over 4 stone in a year. Well done

Slowdown well done on getting back into your swimming. I really missed running when I was too poorly to do it. My cousin was diagnosed with MND a year ago so I feel for you and your friend. I feel for your poor daughter too - tricksy things relationships and break ups.

savesummore you could always go for a little walk without the dog as well or would that make you feel like a traitor? Walking is good for strengthening your core muscles anyway so even without your DVD you're doing yourself good.

dumpling.....brekky.....on running days I have a scant spoonful of peanut butter spread on a small loaf sized piece of wholemeal toast. I slice a banana on top and sling another piece of toast on top of that. On non-running days I have 25g of couscous (add boiling water, microwave for 30 seconds then add a spoonful of skinny syrup - it tastes fine), with half a yogurt, raspberries, blueberries and 10g of Asda protein granola sprinkled on top (I do like to have crunchy food). On Sundays I have 2 small pieces of toast, half a small tin of beans with some grated cheese mixed in, 2 bacon medallions and some mushrooms. Actually I have a lot of mushrooms but that's ok.

star trek fan those kind of anniversaries are always hard. Ten years on, the anniversary of the late MrC's death (and his birthday) still have a tendency to grab me by the throat so to speak. Go easy on yourself.

Take care all of you
    Last edited by CRANKY40; 13-02-2019 at 4:38 PM.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Feb 19, 3:00 PM
    • 3,240 Posts
    • 35,751 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

Imperial (lbs)

big5 ....................2/14-//-/
    Brambling.............2.5/10 ///
    Cranky..................4.5/11 ///
    dandy-candy..........0.5/14-///STS
    Doing it my way.....0/10/STS//
    dumpling...............5/14//STS/
    Edina Typhoon........0/8-/-/-/
    fit and freaky.........6/16/STS//
    Ginmonster............1/5 -/STS//
    GreenEcoGirl..........2.5/0-//STS/
    hatful-of-hollow......0/7-/-/-/
    Izadora..................1/14-/-/-/
    katiepants..............2/10-/-//
    LadyGada..............1.5/10-//-/
    monks...................3/10-///
    MrsLottie................2/10-///
    Munchin.................6/14///
    natlie.....................0/5-/-/-/
    Plain Jane...............0/7-/-/-/
    Rose Wood.............1/7-//STS/
    savesummore.........2.5/10-//
    SIRENS..................2/14 /STS/STS/
    Slowdown..............2/14-/-//
    star trek fan............+2/7-//-/
    Sue14....................3/10//STS/
    VickyV....................3/11-/STS//
    zafiro1984..............2.5/14-/)/-/

Metric (kg)

butterfly 2507 0.8/0-/-//
    ktj...............0/10-/-/-/
    Ricarda........0/3.5-/-/-/

Group weight loss week 1 ........... 14 lbs
    Group weight loss week 2............ 20 lbs
    Group weight loss week 3.............19.5 lbs & 0.8kg
    Group weight loss week 4...............1 lb
    Last edited by CRANKY40; 13-02-2019 at 3:03 PM.
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 13th Feb 19, 5:11 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 9,108 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Its been a lovely day today, quite warm for February and the sun shining. I started the day with taking DGD to school and carried on with a walk afterwards. I then started putting things back into the kitchen and utility room. I still can't decide what to do about the colour - it definitely looks blue most of the time. I think I shall wait for the new blinds to arrive and then decide whether to bite the bullet and repaint or not.

I had a dental appointment, just a check up, so another walk and then played tennis this afternoon. It was really lovely weather and the group I play with great fun. I've not had any problem achieving my steps and am up to 22,000 so far for today.

Lunch: Piece of smoked salmon and a mini cucumber.
    Dinner: Chicken thigh cooked in the air fryer, with last of my six vegetable medley, peas and half a small jacket potato (with butter).
    Treats: 4 squares of dark chocolate - Twice!! I felt the need of cheering up when thinking about the extra expense of redoing the kitchen walls! No wonder I'm still not losing any weight.

Rose
    Target 8st 12

• RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 13th Feb 19, 5:33 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 5,405 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Evening all

I almost had one of these tired bing eating sessions yesterday night. Fell asleep on the couch and when I woke up past ten I had the urge to eat something, anything really.... But I told myself it was not worth it and went straight to the bathroom to brush my teeth without a detour to the kitchen and the fridge....

Today I had
    B bread with almond spread

L polenta with mushroom, cauli
    D rice and veggie stirfry
    S half a brownie, one small bit of chocolate
    E 45 min walk

I had a sneak peak on the scales this morning and it looks like it will be one of these weeks where you put so much effort into it and still gain or have a sts. But if you are lucky - and stick to the plan - the next week is one of the nice, big losses...

SLowdown, it is so hard when you see others going through hard times and there isn't much really to help them.

Izadora, well done on beating google maps! I find walking home is much nicer than walking somewhere.

Dumpling: breakkie.... I usually have bread with something on top (butter and jam, honey, some nut spread) or porridge with fruit in winter. In summer I mostly have fruit with yoghurt or bread with soft cheese and cucumber

star, hope you got through the day fine! These anniversaries are so hard.

have a lovely day everyone
    Resolution for 2019 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Feb 19, 8:35 PM
    • 797 Posts
    • 4,428 Thanks
    Brambling
    STS. Please Cranky I'm a little disappointed as other than a family birthday dinner and cake I thought I was being good and I have eaten so many vegetables this week. Without giving you TMI the veg isn't moving things along as well as I hoped they would

My breakfast during the week tends to be the same porridge and fruit usually banana and blueberries in the winter and fat free Greek yogurt and fruit during the summer. Weekends I often skip it and have a early lunch.

Star I hope you are feeling better, just get this week out of the way and start again. We lost my dad 35 years ago today and although he was on my mind today they were good memories

B - porridge and fruit I had banana, blueberries and nectarine today
    L - should of been egg and cheese salad but I didn't fancy the salad so picked at the cheese and egg and had with crackers
    D - Singapore noodles with LO roast pork
    S shortbread biscuit
    • butterfly2507
    • By butterfly2507 13th Feb 19, 8:35 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    butterfly2507
    I'm sad to report that I gained 0.1 kg. Nothing that a bit of clean eating and sport can't change but it's still annoying
    books read 2019: 26 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,9 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings
    • Doing it my way
    • By Doing it my way 13th Feb 19, 9:51 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Doing it my way
    Day 4 of sticking to my calories. Today I had multi grain hoops and a cup of tea for breakfast, same for dinner with two ceackers with pate on and tomatobon toast for tea and a chocolate digestive 🤣, weigh in on friday i have everything crossed x
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 14th Feb 19, 5:45 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 6,075 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Oh dear Slowdown ,it’s so hard when our close ones are so upset .why we feel the need to stuff something into our mouth I do not know cos it can’t help them and it certainly doesn’t help us. I think it’s because we feel so helpless , my daughter and her husband long so much to have a baby and I feel like I can’t help the situation one little bit and then that anxiety for them somehow turns into me eating chocolate ! Crazy business - we’ve just got to keep on fighting the urge and chatting on here helps too. Good luck with banning the goodies or just have one little item if you can .
    Originally posted by MrsLottie
    Why we do it, I know not either. It doesn't make sense because you can't eat away someone else's pain. Chatting on here definitely helps. You know you're just one of a group who understands exactly how you feel. My daughter didn't go to work yesterday and instead we had a cosy day of baking, visiting the garden centre, raking leaves and watching tv. Not to mention huge amounts of tea drinking and a couple of beers.

Despite all of this I managed to register a 1lb loss! It must be those calories devoted to fuelling anxiety that I have been using!

CRANKY40, sorry to hear about your cousin. It's such a difficult diagnosis to take on board. All the more reason for us to look after ourselves properly, then we can help those who are in the greatest need. Thank you for your support.

RicardaRacoon, thank you for your kind thoughts. And well done for not attacking the fridge for a late night snack. That is one of the easiest things to do and the hardest things to avoid!

Izadora, you're so right. Way easier to deal with your own problems than watch others suffer. It's out of your control. All you can do is provide an environment where it makes others feel comfortable and supported. You can't take their pain away but you can make it easier for them to deal with their own. It must be so hard for people to deal with their problems without family or a friend's support and from what you hear, there are many people who have to do exactly that.

I feel very grateful for being part of this group. It gives exactly the support I've been talking about and there is absolutely no judgement. I hope everyone has a smashing day and, as far as anyone is able, the eating plans are stuck to.

Last edited by Slowdown; 14-02-2019 at 5:47 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,366Posts Today

5,212Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin