Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 8:26 AM
    • 3,235Posts
    • 35,723Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11
    • 20th Jan 19, 8:26 AM
    Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11 20th Jan 19 at 8:26 AM
    MSE have asked that we start a new thread for 2019 so here it is - a shiny new weight loss thread. I'm not sure where Knit Witch is or even if she wants to run it so in the mean time folks, if you don't mind suffering me I'll do my best to keep up the totals and challenge dates.

Here's the links to previous challenges

Part 9 auto deleted as explained here .

Part 8

Part 7

[B]Part 6

Part 5

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1 ???

and here are some more useful links. If any of them are out of date or don't work please let me know and I'll remove them.

MSE links
    OldStyle Healthy recipes threads
    Menu Plans Collection

Outside Links

Free food/calorie tracking
    My Fitness Pal (iphone and android apps as well as online)
    MyNetDiary
    Caloriecount

The rest on google

Free printable food diary
    Printable portion guide

NHS healthy eating website
    BMI calculator
    Weight loss 2019 challenge two = 4.5 lbs
    Grocery challenge April 52.50/300
Page 1
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 8:33 AM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 35,723 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 20th Jan 19, 8:33 AM
    • 20th Jan 19, 8:33 AM
    So...to get stuck into this straight away - the first challenge of 2019 should have started for the 13 weeks beginning Monday the 31st of December. This means that to keep things in the usual format the first challenge will now be run in a slightly backdated kind of way from Monday the 14th of January for those of us that did weigh ourselves last week i.e. me for one (and it wasn't good )

The challenge will end on Sunday the 31st of March which gives us 11 weeks or 10 weeks from tomorrow if you prefer to lose weight the MSE way. To me this means proper meals like nana used to make (not my mum - she couldn't cook ) whilst trying to cut out snacks and junk food.

Would anyone else like to join in?
    Last edited by CRANKY40; 20-01-2019 at 8:45 AM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 20th Jan 19, 1:21 PM
    • 2,568 Posts
    • 8,332 Thanks
    Munchin
    • 20th Jan 19, 1:21 PM
    • 20th Jan 19, 1:21 PM
    Hi

I would like to join please. I started just after Xmas and have lost 8lb so far but have another 43lb to go to bring me down to a healthy BMI. I would like to try and lose 14lb over the next 10 weeks.

Thanks

M
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 20th Jan 19, 1:44 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 23,313 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 20th Jan 19, 1:44 PM
    • 20th Jan 19, 1:44 PM
    Hi Cranky, I would love to join in again if I may. I will start recording my (hopeful) losses from this week every Friday as I have had 2 weeks of skewed losses due to fluid release. So can I please say I will try to lose 14lb for this challenge.

I am calorie counting using nutracheck which is a paid for app but I find it well worth it. I am eating healthy foods on the whole with no snacks apart from fruit and veg.

Todays menu looks like this:
    b - a big bowl of bran flakes
    l - cup of vegetable soup and toast with cheese triangles
    d - roast lamb, carrots, green beans and spring greens
    s - banana, apple and tangerine

Good luck to all who decide to join in and I hope knitwitch is ok.

• CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 3:06 PM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 35,723 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 20th Jan 19, 3:06 PM
    • 20th Jan 19, 3:06 PM
    Good afternoon and welcome Munchin and dumpling. I've had a think today about what I'd like to lose. As I started last week and hope to lose a pound a week I'll make mine 11 lbs I think.

My target last year was to lose a pound a week. I did end the year a stone lighter than I began but that's a long way from what I wanted. On the plus side, I did the couch to 5k program. What I learned from that is that a 51 year old lady weighing nearly 16 stone can learn to run. I am probably the slowest runner on Merseyside, but I learned to run

I know that most of you choose not to give your start weights. I have no shame however and my start weight for this year is 14 stone 11. The last time I weighed 14 stone anything was in 2001 when I was courting the late Mr Cranky and by our wedding in 2002 I was back over 15 stone so you can sort of see why I'm ok with it.

I'm filling in MFP and will be running on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays if I can for now. Onwards and downwards

P.S. I've no idea if I'm subbing for Knit Witch or taking over so we'll just play it by ear for now if that's ok?
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 35,723 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 20th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    • 20th Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

Cranky 0/11
    dumpling 0/14
    Munchin 0/14

I'm going to do the list in alphabetical order if that's OK? I'll get confused (it's my age) otherwise
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 20th Jan 19, 3:40 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 5,756 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    • 20th Jan 19, 3:40 PM
    • 20th Jan 19, 3:40 PM
    Hi there, can I join in please? I'd like to aim for 5llb. I can't be doing with diets so I'm liking the look of this OS way of doing it. I already cook plenty of healthy proper meals but have got into some less healthy habits too. I've got a plan of tweaks which I hope will result in a slow weight loss over the 10 weeks:

Porridge for breakfast instead of buttery toast mon-fri
    Booze only allowed 2 nights a week instead of 3
    Only fruit or natural yoghurt for dessert
    Be conscious of portion sizes

Let's see how I get on.
    • big5
    • By big5 20th Jan 19, 3:51 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    big5
    • 20th Jan 19, 3:51 PM
    • 20th Jan 19, 3:51 PM
    Hi Cranky, could you add me to the list - I’ll aim for 14lbs too. Put on 4lbs since Christmas, struggling to get back into eating healthily when there’s still chocolate biscuits, etc, around! Made some lovely butternut squash and carrot soup earlier for lunches this week.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 35,723 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 20th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    • 20th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    Yay, more friends. Welcome Ginmonster and big5.

Ginmonster - if you're interested in the nutritional values of what you're eating, Myfitnesspal could be of some help. Firstly it's free (very MSE) and secondly although it comes with a pre-set group of nutritional values that it monitors you can actually change them to monitor whatever you want. It's handy if you're not losing as quickly as you think you should be once you've changed your eating habits. It's a bit of a faff at first but as I tend to make the same meals over the course of a month it doesn't take as long the next time that I make something as it only has to be logged - it already has the recipe recorded.

big5 - well done on the soup making. I had the last of the home made pea and ham today. I was going to have salad for lunch but it was cold so soup it was.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 4:12 PM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 35,723 Thanks
    CRANKY40

big5 0/14
    Cranky 0/11
    dumpling 0/14
    Ginmonster 0/0
    Munchin 0/14
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 20th Jan 19, 4:59 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 4,670 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Thanks for the new thread Cranky I would love to join, please put me down for 14lb too.
    I follow Slimming World, but from home not online or meetings, managed to loose 3 1/2 stone last year but put some back on over Christmas. Lots more to loose unfortunately!
    Last edited by SIRENS; 20-01-2019 at 5:10 PM.
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • MrsLottie
    • By MrsLottie 20th Jan 19, 5:07 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 1,310 Thanks
    MrsLottie
    Hi Cranky, may I join in too. I weigh 12stone 121/2lbs having put on 4lbs over Christmas and would like to lose 10lbs over this challenge .I have lost 2stones but this has taken me 2 years and now I feel like moving my weight loss a bit faster .Hopefully joining you all will give me the support I need. thank you for starting us off
    • monks
    • By monks 20th Jan 19, 5:09 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    monks
    Thank you for starting challenge. May I join too please. Have 10lb to lose, another one who as put 4lb on since Christmas eating left over bits. Made the effort to go back to gym this weekend, got out of habit last few weeks..felt like hard work but know will feel the benefit soon. My down fall is snacking when can't be bothered to cook and picking in evening. Do much better when have food already prepped in advance so can just heat up. Good luck everyone.
    Annual GC 3000- 750(140)

EF#176 - 1000/1000
    Weight loss 2/10
    Clutter free challenge 315/2019
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 5:17 PM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 35,723 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Gosh we are growing fast. The more the merrier

Welcome SIRENS, MrsLottie and monks.

Some of you I know from previous times on this thread and some from elsewhere but its good to make new friends too. SIRENS, I follow slimming world as well. At the moment I'm putting the 5 a week I would spend on fat class into a tin towards new running shoes. I need to be gait corrected so the ones I have aren't cheap

MrsLottie - I'd like more than a stone this year too.....Hello monks, good to see you here. My downfall (or one of the many) is also snacking. Nobody told me how hungry running would make me. That's fine if I have healthy stuff ready, which I don't always remember to do.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 5:20 PM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 35,723 Thanks
    CRANKY40

big5 _______0/14
    Cranky______0/11
    dumpling____0/14
    Ginmonster__ 0/0
    monks______0/10
    MrsLottie____0/10
    Munchin____ 0/14
    SIRENS_____0/14
    • Frith
    • By Frith 20th Jan 19, 6:48 PM
    • 4,980 Posts
    • 47,122 Thanks
    Frith
    Hello, Cranky, and thanks for starting us off.

I won't be starting immediately as I have 2 ridiculous weeks ahead of me (nothing nasty, just lots of hours of work, one son has a college interview, another a uni open evening, I'm starting a new voluntary post etc - and the roof man will be here!!)

When I do start, I'll be back on the Blood Sugar Diet (hereafter the BSD) as I lost 2 stones on this last year.

I'll be close to 13 stones on starting and am 5 foot 7.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 20th Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 35,723 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Hello Frith, we'll still be here when you're ready to start. Any one of those things would have my nerves in tatters so good luck for everything!

I've had 2 weeks off running because I had a minor chest infection. I've only managed to go once so far this month and before that Christmas happened so I haven't been regularly for a good while. I'm still coughing but only a little bit so I'm going tomorrow and I have the feeling that it's going to be very interesting....
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 20th Jan 19, 9:41 PM
    • 1,911 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Hi, may I join too please? I'd like to lose 14lbs for this challenge, although there will be more to come after that!
    Healthy eating and exercise starts tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
    • Doing it my way
    • By Doing it my way 20th Jan 19, 10:08 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Doing it my way
    I would love to join in, if that's ok? I have 18lb to lose by September so for now I will go with 10lb not sure if I can but try I will 🙂
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 21st Jan 19, 6:34 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 9,098 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Hi,

I'd like to join in please. I used to post but haven't for a few years. In fact I just went to edit my signature and all I had to change was the year as my start weight and target were identical - the only difference being it was dated 2016!!

I tend to stick to a low carb diet rather than counting calories, although the app I use does tot up the calories too. Before Christmas I'd got down to 9st 7lb but I couldn't resist the chocolates we kept being given at work and suddenly I was back up to nearly 10st. As I'm only just 5 foot it tends to show. I am fairly energetic and play tennis, walk and go to exercise classes but obviously I need to monitor what I'm eating a bit better. Hopefully, posting here will help me become more accountable. I would like to aim for a 7lb loss over the next ten weeks.

I think my main downfall is adding cream to my coffee so that will be my aim for this week - to cut the number of coffees down and drink more lemon and ginger tea.
    Weight Loss Challenge 6/4/19 10st 4
    Target 8st 12

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps for January 19,317
    Average daily steps for February 19, 449
    Average daily steps for March 20,330
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

4,933Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin