Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 18, 11:14 PM
    • 3,056Posts
    • 22,138Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019
    • 31st Dec 18, 11:14 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019 31st Dec 18 at 11:14 PM
    New year so time for a new thread - welcome to the 2019 make do, mend and minimise thread

For me, this year is going to be about minimising a lot of our stuff (after all how many books, DVDs, clothes, etc do two people really need and I've definitely got slight hoarding tendencies, there's heaps of stuff about the flat that is being kept just in case it might come in useful in the distant future), finally getting the flat looking how we want it on a very limited budget and moving towards a less wasteful lifestyle. I'd also like to get the sewing machine out again and actually learn out to use it properly. First I have to rescue it from the cupboard of doom

Loved reading what everyone was up to in 2018 and hope to see you all again in this thread. Happy MMMing to all

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 04-02-2019 at 4:37 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 530.85 (77% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 797.68 Now 772.91 (3.1% paid) + monthly payments 146.82 14/60
    Emergency fund - 15/1000. Car fund - 25/1000.
    Mini Targets in February
    Exercise target - 7/16. Groceries target 157.30/170. NSD target 13/18.
Page 2
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 3rd Jan 19, 9:53 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,625 Thanks
    miss empty piggy

Minimised some books and a few mags. Someone we know has built a bookshelf with scraps of wood and put it in the local train station with a few books in the shelves. Now it has become a regular mini-library for commuters (and non-). We use it regularly to pick up and then return some very good reads.

Hoping to post more regularly.
    Originally posted by Caterina

I love this idea. What fantastic community spirit xxx
    DFW Nerd No: 600
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 3rd Jan 19, 11:11 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 13,678 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    Caterinathat's a lovely idea, I wonder if it would work at our local station, its full of workmen at the moment having a facelift (the station not the workmen!) so will have a word with the station volunteers when work has been completed.
    Joining in again this year and hoping to keep posting, as I gave up last year.
    Make do: went through Christmas decs and had a sort out so have enough to make do next year.
    Mend: not so much mend, but will have to make some more cup mats as I have put the Christmas ones in the wash then they will be put away, wont take long and I have lots of fat quarters to play with.
    Minimise:Making a start on minimising my kitchen cupboards, theres only me and I counted 25 mugs today!!!!
    Nannyg
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    February nsd =
    • misstara
    • By misstara 4th Jan 19, 1:26 AM
    • 3,056 Posts
    • 22,138 Thanks
    misstara
    Meal plan completed yesterday and small top up shop done today, really hoping to minimise the food spends as much as possible this month. Used up some pigs in blankets for lunch and red cabbage for tea, both leftover from Christmas. There was leftover roasties from tea so have brought them to work along with some quiche from the freezer as I'll probably get peckish around 4am.

Finished a body scrub that I got for Christmas 2017, it's been hanging around for ages as I wasn't keen on it (felt it left my skin greasy) so glad it's finally gone . Almost at the end of a hand cream which again I got for Christmas 2017, that will be the end of that stash, now onto the Christmas 2018 stash
    Mini Targets in February
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 4th Jan 19, 6:43 AM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 7,183 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Morning guys
    I thought Id pop by before work.
    I will be making do with my food stocks all week and next week because I forgot Id used all my holiday allowance ( Xmas day and New Years Day come out of your hols) so my wages are a little bit shorter than they would be. Not a problem as I always have plenty of food in for emergencies like this and the credit card payment is more important.
    Nothing mended because nothing needed mending.
    Minimising was a bottle of perfume and a deodorant finally ran out. Both have been nearly empty for over a week but finally gave up the ghost yesterday. I have loads of half empty bits that need using up so will use those first.
    Well I better get dressed and go earn my crust
    Have a good day guys
    Cuddles
    Feb NSDs 13/18
    2019 Grocery Spend 239.18/2000
    Feb Grocery spend 787.16/123.85
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 4th Jan 19, 7:14 AM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 18,402 Thanks
    villagelife
    I have minimised post and seed catalogues
    I made so with food in cupbor.
    I mended my letter box agaun. I must do a better fix on it.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 4th Jan 19, 8:50 AM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 40,131 Thanks
    Caterina
    Re. the mini library at my local station, I've seen these at other stations before, so I'm sure that it's possible to do in every station, space permitting! Our local station also has a group of volunteers for the upkeep of the planters, they started as Guerrilla gardeners but now they're fully recognised volunteers.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 4th Jan 19, 4:33 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 8,237 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Thanks for the new 2019 thread, misstara - I'm in again please.

Someone we know has built a bookshelf with scraps of wood and put it in the local train station with a few books in the shelves. Now it has become a regular mini-library for commuters (and non-). We use it regularly to pick up and then return some very good reads.
    Originally posted by Caterina
    One of our smaller local bus operators does this with a luggage rack at the front of the bus. I think it's a brilliant idea.

I used to take unwanted magazines to our GP surgery's waiting area but, since they amalgamated with another practice in a brand new purpose-built medical centre, they don't seem to have/want any magazines at all. Not a problem for me as I no longer buy magazines - that was one of my "minimises" for 2018.

A lot of things went out of the home last year with a final (large) batch of unwanteds being collected by two lovely volunteers from the local hospice on the Thursday before Xmas. I'm hoping a second sweep during 2019 will see yet more "stuff" going. I'll be concentrating especially on: books, fabric stash and yarn stash.

This week has seen much making do with food stocks rather than shopping for more and I've also minimised a body lotion. No mending but I'm sure if I look hard enough I'll find something.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Feb 152 - 20 bulk fund - 62.94 = 69.06 in budget and 12/28 NSDs
    2019 to date: 9.27 under budget (2018: 172.45 under budget)

• misstara
    • By misstara 4th Jan 19, 6:40 PM
    • 3,056 Posts
    • 22,138 Thanks
    misstara
    Evening MMMers

Not actually mended anything yet but have gathered a little pile - pair of jammie bottoms, pair of leggings and 2 pairs of running socks so will aim to do that over the weekend.

Using up some more leftovers from Christmas today - stuffing with the end of a bag of curly fries plus some hm chips and a fried egg. Slightly random but will be yum
    Mini Targets in February
    • kittydfw2012
    • By kittydfw2012 4th Jan 19, 6:53 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    kittydfw2012
    Hello MMMers

Make do: Took a pyjama set back to Asd* because I got two pairs of black pyjama bottoms from Ama*on, which will go with two free t-shirts (cotton and mostly black) instead. Buying what I need rather than extra clothes that I don't. Bit of the minimalist coming out in me.

Mend: Nothing mended today.

Minimise: The Christmas cake - again! I know there's a rush to clear out festive food but we haven't pigged out too much and have made the treats last, I'm grateful for it and that I have stocked cupboards. The lighter eating will start soon enough.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 4th Jan 19, 6:58 PM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 40,131 Thanks
    Caterina
    No mending today but lots of Make-doing in food.

I only had an egg left and eggs on order for Monday so didn't want to buy more today. Breakfast for 2 was savoury bread pudding - stale slices of bread in a small baking dish, covered by beaten egg with a bit of milk and a spoonful of grated cheddar. Baked and topped by a few leftover mushroom that needed using up, fried with garlic. It was delicious.

Dinner was steamed veg in the pressure cooker. Frozen peas in the steam water. First basket full of cubed potatoes and swede. Top basket full of greens. Enough to save some for tomorrow bubble and squeak breakfast. I covered the veg in gravy (leftover jar from Christmas), made up with the steam pot water.

Pudding: cooked apples (the bruised ones that needed eating) and the last 2 prunes in the jar. Mixed with pulverised stale homemade cookies and leftover mashed banana. Topped with cashew cream (blended cashews with water - leftover cashew cream stretched with water, turned into cashew milk for future use).

Feeling happy that I'm using resources well.
    Last edited by Caterina; 04-01-2019 at 7:02 PM.
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 5th Jan 19, 12:01 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,625 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    That pudding sounds absolutely delicious Caterina xx
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 5th Jan 19, 12:05 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,625 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    I tried to mend a tear in my leather sofa with leather glue and it worked really well. I've another tear which I then intended to mend but a piece has ripped off and I can't find it. The sofa is a two seater recliner which fits perfectly in our snug and although it's shabby, it's perfect for Doh and I. I plan on covering it with some nice Laura Ashley check in the summer hols or before if I get around to it xxx
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Jan 19, 1:00 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 17,096 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Make Do & Minimise - foods from freezer & fridge for hm pizzas

Mend: not strictly a mend but I did hang up 2019 calendar

MrsSD
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 5th Jan 19, 1:59 AM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 13,678 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    I made do with my own company all day, eating yesterdays leftovers, finding wool for socks (just need a free pattern) and making a list of all I want/need to make during 2019.
    Taken down a few more decorations and the tree will follow tomorrow. Burnt candles to take the edge off the chill in the front room until I put the heating on and decided what to cook to last me over the weekend.
    Right off to bed now for the second time, I couldn't get to sleep so came down to make a drink and thought Id just come on here!!
    Nannyg
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    February nsd =
    • maryb
    • By maryb 5th Jan 19, 12:24 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 49,351 Thanks
    maryb
    nannygladys, I got a free sock pattern from Regia wool so might be worth checking their website. Loads of people swear by Winwick Mum's sock tutorial and pattern on her blog
    https://www.winwickmum.co.uk/p/sockalong.html
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 5th Jan 19, 3:10 PM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 40,131 Thanks
    Caterina
    Made do with leftover beans and tomatoes (mini stew), leftover veg and potatoes (bubble and squeak) and sad last carrot and cabbage (coleslaw) for lunch.

No mend, but probably will start sewing up the parts for DD's cardigan (a job I always drag my feet to do after knitting all the parts).

Minimised all the Christmas cards, they were in the recycling bin already but I saw an appeal from our local health food shop, they turn them into very beautiful decorations, so they get reused before finally being recycled. And I had a nice walk to the shop in the bargain!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Jan 19, 3:48 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 65,552 Thanks
    silvasava
    Kitchen & Breakfast room floor steam cleaned - looks much better now as some of the plaster from the walls had trodden into the grout - all gone now so I'm counting that as a minimise!
    Mend - found the original tag for the zip to my fleece in the rubber seal on the WM so replaced and nipped in with pliers to make it more secure.
    Make do - peeled ALL the spuds left over from christmas and par boiled some for roasties for today. The others will be mashed and in the freezer. We're having a roast today as tomorrow is DS1's birthday and we wont be around.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 6th Jan 19, 12:12 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 6,625 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Paid our bond for the allotment today. It's beautiful. Well, it's a bit of a state really but I've seen worse. It has rhubarb and raspberries already in. The previous owner is coming to get his leeks and his shed, although fingers crossed he might leave them lol. Best friend has kindly gifted us a load of pallets to make 3 compost bins next weekend. They've said they'll even deliver them to the allotment for us. Really looking forward to getting started.

My niece has bought a new bed and has given us her old double mattress. for our spare room. We have a single metal day bed with a pull out bed underneath. I've put the mattress on and propped the side up with two chairs. I'm sleeping in it tonight to see if it's comfy. If it is then DOH will make an extension to the frame and hopefully we'll have a fully functioning double bed.

Tomorrow is my last day off work before returning on Monday. I love being at home but it will be good to see everyone and get back into the routine. Night everyone xxx
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 6th Jan 19, 1:56 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Not really done much on the 'Making Do' side but I am presently minimising various bags of cloth into either my new stash box or into various sub-categories such as 'useful scraps' and 'rags', reclaining part of the bedroom floor in the process.

Mending : one of the Xmas ceiling decorations had the fastening tear out, so that has now been fixed with a stapler and a disc of craft foam.

Minimising pt 2 - Xmas pudding and white sauce from the freezer last night, will be finishing it up tonight. Also heroically working my way through the Xmas cake
    • maryb
    • By maryb 6th Jan 19, 3:59 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 49,351 Thanks
    maryb
    It's tough Wraithlady but someone's gotta do it
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

2,142Users online

Martin's Twitter