Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 18, 11:14 PM
    • 3,050Posts
    • 22,106Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019
    • 31st Dec 18, 11:14 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019 31st Dec 18 at 11:14 PM
    New year so time for a new thread - welcome to the 2019 make do, mend and minimise thread

For me, this year is going to be about minimising a lot of our stuff (after all how many books, DVDs, clothes, etc do two people really need and I've definitely got slight hoarding tendencies, there's heaps of stuff about the flat that is being kept just in case it might come in useful in the distant future), finally getting the flat looking how we want it on a very limited budget and moving towards a less wasteful lifestyle. I'd also like to get the sewing machine out again and actually learn out to use it properly. First I have to rescue it from the cupboard of doom

Loved reading what everyone was up to in 2018 and hope to see you all again in this thread. Happy MMMing to all

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 04-02-2019 at 4:37 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 540.25 (76.5% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 797.68 Now 772.91 (3.1% paid) + monthly payments 146.82 14/60
    Emergency fund - 15/1000. Car fund - 25/1000.
    Mini Targets in February
    Exercise target - 4/16. Groceries target 102.48/170. NSD target 9/18.
Page 1
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 1st Jan 19, 12:43 AM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 16,800 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    • 1st Jan 19, 12:43 AM
    • 1st Jan 19, 12:43 AM
    misstara, I would love to join you
    I will be making do with food from freezers & stores, mending clothing for use & Knick-knacks for cs, minimising cleaning products & DSiss crates.

The aims for 2019 are :

1. Reclaim dining room
    2. Decorate our bedroom including new carpet, curtains & bed linen
    3. Get someone in to re-jig the bathroom

There are many other rooms to sort but if we manage to do the above, I can always add more later in the year

Thanks for starting the new thread misstara

MrsSD
    • dND
    • By dND 1st Jan 19, 8:49 AM
    • 482 Posts
    • 6,956 Thanks
    dND
    • 1st Jan 19, 8:49 AM
    • 1st Jan 19, 8:49 AM
    Sign me up again - I'm hoping for a much better 2019

I've not had the best Christmas and New Year but it's made me more determined to get my life sorted this year.

• peony40
    • By peony40 1st Jan 19, 8:51 AM
    • 489 Posts
    • 6,387 Thanks
    peony40
    • 1st Jan 19, 8:51 AM
    • 1st Jan 19, 8:51 AM
    Hello,

Id like to join you all in 2019. There is plenty of minimising that I can do, namely on weight loss for myself! plus minimising stuff in general. We moved over three years ago into a smaller property, and we still have unopened boxes in the garage and shed.

Make do & Mend I will have a think about.
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 1st Jan 19, 9:34 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 1st Jan 19, 9:34 AM
    • 1st Jan 19, 9:34 AM
    As I have enough room, I sometimes put things I am unsure of into boxes, and pack them away (doing this at present with some storage jars that weren't well used). If I think 'oh I need that', I can go and get it. If not, after a year, I give serious consideration to recycling / donating or throwing.
    Rather like 'thrift' I try not to use the term 'making do' (though i agree it alliterates nicely in the title!). Rather I say 'how can I continue to use this - does it have another use - would it be useful to someone else?' etc.
    I am notorious in my family for re-using wrapping paper, and have actually ended this Xmas with more than I used myself!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 1st Jan 19, 2:13 PM
    • 4,096 Posts
    • 65,507 Thanks
    silvasava
    • 1st Jan 19, 2:13 PM
    • 1st Jan 19, 2:13 PM
    Afternoon All and thank you Mistara for a lovely new shiny thread.
    I finally got round to using a paperclip on my broken zip tab as I couldnt find a keyring - result!! Thank you for saving me a job of inpicking the old one and replacing the zip. Just need to find something more suitable than a bent paperclip for the zip lol!
    Making do with a meat pie and some mash from the freezer
    Minimised a top I wore last night - little bit too tight but shows more cleavage than I am comfortable with so its in the CS bag!
    No mending though
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 22,106 Thanks
    misstara
    • 1st Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 1st Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    silvasava - glad the paperclip worked, must remember that trick for the future

Recycling bins day tomorrow so went round the flat making sure all glass, plastic, paper, etc has been picked up and put out. As part of my Christmas present, I got a stainless steel water bottle, coffee cup and straws as well as some beeswax wraps so hoping that this will help contribute to less recycling/waste in the future.

Neither me or OH fancied anything proper to eat tonight, had planned roast pork but made do with a sausage sarnie instead . We'll have the pork at the weekend instead.

Minimised a rather large slice of Christmas cake
    Mini Targets in February
    • *Jellie*
    • By *Jellie* 1st Jan 19, 9:45 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    *Jellie*
    • 1st Jan 19, 9:45 PM
    • 1st Jan 19, 9:45 PM
    Hi! I’d love to join in.
    At the moment I am looking at my fabric stash planning some new clothes to make. I am also looking round the house trying to work out what I will repurpose/ upcycle this year. Projects include finishing coffee table made from an electric cable reel, changing some frames so they fit our decor, making a headboard cover and upcycling a bedroom mirror.
    Making do in the garden will involve trying to improve propagating plants and making the most of compost and leaf mold bins.
    I am also doing a storecupboard challenge for at least a month.
    Minimise will be all about cutting back spending for me!
    Mending depends on what breaks!
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 1st Jan 19, 10:00 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 7,109 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    • 1st Jan 19, 10:00 PM
    • 1st Jan 19, 10:00 PM
    Hi Happy New Year everyone
    Id like to join in too please
    Ive made done with all food from the freezer today.
    I aim to minimise clothes as I shrink out of them, they will then goes to the CS. This year needs to be really frugal so nothing will be bought until I really need it.
    No real mending to be done at the moment so nothing there.

Cuddles
    Feb NSDs 10/18
    2019 Grocery Spend 214.18/2000
    Feb Grocery spend 62.16/123.85
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 2nd Jan 19, 12:09 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 6,614 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Hi Happy New Year
    I'd also really like to join.
    I'm currently mid-clear out with lots of future projects in mind including some for next xmas.
    I'm not a very confident sewer but really want to learn. I have material for cushions, blinds and dresses - although I've never made anything other than a table cloth before (just stitched the edges) but I'm all for giving things a go. A friend at work said she only started sewing 5 years ago and she has some beautiful outfits at work. I'm not really into shopping either and would much rather upcycyle or mend something I already own than buy new.

Really looking forward to this challenge
    DFW Nerd No: 600
    • kittydfw2012
    • By kittydfw2012 2nd Jan 19, 4:04 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    kittydfw2012
    I loved reading the 2018 (so last year!) version of this thread so joining in this year.

Make do: Using the cotton flannels that come with the Liz Earle (and Superdr*g's similar) hot cloth face washes as tissues as OH has given me his Christmas snuffles. This could also be a minimise as not contributing to paper waste

Mend: Didn't mend anything.

Minimise: Following Misstara's lead on minimising a bit of the Christmas cake!

Also watched the first episode of Marie Kondo's new series on Netflix. (currently using the free month trial but will probably pay the 5.99 to continue as it's the only paid for entertainment service we would have and we don't go out to restaurants/cinema etc so it's a justified monthly treat). I have never looked back after adopting the Konmari method and definitely bring less into the house, so less to minimise.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 2nd Jan 19, 10:00 AM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 22,106 Thanks
    misstara
    Morning and hello to new posters

Went to bed early last night as wasn't feeling great and have woken up this morning full of the cold kittydfw2012 - great idea about using cotton flannels instead of tissues, unfortunately I have none so the bin has a steadily increasing pile of paper tissues being put in but will look to get some proper hankies for future.

Had planned to go to the gym or for a run but that definitely won't be happening. Going to go for a wee walk around the park to get some fresh air before work. On a late shift today, really not in the mood for work but at least it's double time

Away to make myself a coffee and then sit down with OH to make a meal plan for the rest of this week and next week. Lots of bits and bobs to be used up so will incorporate them into the plan.
    Mini Targets in February
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 2nd Jan 19, 10:10 AM
    • 4,096 Posts
    • 65,507 Thanks
    silvasava
    Morning all - hav'n't got started yet. Welcome to the newbies to our lovely little thread.
    Christmas decs coming down today & fridge nearly cleared out so almost back to normal.
    For those of you with he sniffles ( aka snotty noses) a liberal application of lip salve round your nose is a great help with the soreness and redness - especially if you slap it on overnight HTH
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 2nd Jan 19, 11:55 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 16,800 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Im in again

Make Do & Minimise: Food from freezer & stocks plus a few items of clothing into cs bag

Mend: nothing

MrsSD
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 3rd Jan 19, 12:07 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 6,614 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Finally got craft room sorted out - I can see the floor. It's a miracle.

Am hoping to get some sewing projects on the go tomorrow. Found 3 lots of Laura Ashley material in a bag for 3 separate projects - bought them last summer!!!
    • kittydfw2012
    • By kittydfw2012 3rd Jan 19, 7:20 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    kittydfw2012
    Morning MMMers, it's brrrggh this morning but hoping that means a bit of sunshine later.

Make do: Feeling a bit under the weather still with a cough and cold so was glad to have left over Indian takeaway from NYE with plenty of chill, veg and spices plus not having to find the energy to make the dinner. (thanks Silvasava for the lip salve tip, going to try that as Rudolph has nothing on me now).

Mend: a shoe box that had a couple of bashed corners got taped up so it could be used to store fairy lights. I wrote 'lights' and did an little drawing of lights with a few coloured pens so it looked a bit better than a scruffy old shoe box. Bit of a box obsession having just binge watched Marie Kondo on Netflix.

Minimise: more Christmas cake, yum yum.

Planning to minimise Christmas decorations today and the needles from the tree that have dropped, hoping for a bit of energy to get the hoover out and make things look a bit tidier.

Have a good day x
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 3rd Jan 19, 9:49 AM
    • 666 Posts
    • 4,343 Thanks
    savingpennies
    I'll join again this year, if I may. I joined in last year but fell off the wagon as I was busy decorating and writing my dissertation for my MA, which is finally being submitted next week
    I'm retired and we have in the last 5 months had a new bathroom fitted, re-decorated the hall, living room, dining room and spare bedroom. I upcycled my old dark wood dining room furniture by painting with chalk paint and OH sanded the top of the table and sideboard. January's job is to paint the chairs and re-upholster.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2019 in 2019: 68.73
    2019 2 savers:
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 3rd Jan 19, 9:57 AM
    • 4,096 Posts
    • 65,507 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mince defrosted to make a batch of chilli this morning. Need to do a freezer check & see if any stocks are needed.
    Minimised some disintegrating underfelt from the loft and some icicle lights going on Freecycle
    Need to steam clean the kitchen/breakfast room tiles - they've been washed 2/3 times since the room was replastered but the grouting needs attention!
    Empty Piggy - there's a sewing thread on the forum and there's always someone who can give advice or point you in the right direction. I
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 3rd Jan 19, 11:39 AM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 40,129 Thanks
    Caterina
    Hello, happy New Year to you all! I've lurked mostly but love reading other people's MMM experiences.

Yesterday was a great day for my MMM.

Mended a pair of navy socks, making do with black sock thread as I didn't have navy. It worked well.

Mended DH's striped scarf. It had a really large moth-hole almost at the end. I cut a couple of stripes up to the hole, turned in the cut bit and stitched it neatly. Made do with grey thread because I didn't have beige. It worked well (invisible stiitch). The scarf is a bit shorter but perfectly wearable. DH is happy.

Minimised some books and a few mags. Someone we know has built a bookshelf with scraps of wood and put it in the local train station with a few books in the shelves. Now it has become a regular mini-library for commuters (and non-). We use it regularly to pick up and then return some very good reads.

Hoping to post more regularly.
    Last edited by Caterina; 03-01-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 3rd Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 6,614 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Mince defrosted to make a batch of chilli this morning. Need to do a freezer check & see if any stocks are needed.
    Minimised some disintegrating underfelt from the loft and some icicle lights going on Freecycle
    Need to steam clean the kitchen/breakfast room tiles - they've been washed 2/3 times since the room was replastered but the grouting needs attention!
    Empty Piggy - there's a sewing thread on the forum and there's always someone who can give advice or point you in the right direction. I
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Thanks so much. Everyone is so helpful and I really appreciate it xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,295Posts Today

7,130Users online

Martin's Twitter