Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    • 939Posts
    • 7,144Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 18 at 4:30 PM
    Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 10
    • BabyStepper
    • By BabyStepper 10th Feb 19, 5:45 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    BabyStepper
    Love the pics.

I have more spends to report. I bought 2 cardigans and returned one, 5 coupons spent. I also got 5 pairs of socks.

36.5/66 coupons spent.

These coupons do not seem to be lasting long at all!
    May '18 21,228.07/Feb '19 16,003.60

24.6% paid

Getting it done

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 10th Feb 19, 10:26 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere

These coupons do not seem to be lasting long at all!
    Originally posted by BabyStepper
    I know! Doesn't it make you really think about how people managed in the past? It's so recent that clothes have become so cheap that we can buy so many of them.

I know there are police reports I've read from just before the war (and in fact Agatha Christie's 'Mrs McGinty's Dead' has a similar bit) where a middle-aged woman's possessions are listed and she typically has her Sunday best skirt and jacket, and her everyday one (which would most likely have been her Sunday best a few years back), and possibly an old skirt and jacket kept for eg gardening, odd dirty jobs. Then perhaps 3 or 4 blouses, which would each be worn for a couple of days, so there's your weeks' washing, and a jumper and cardigan, 2 or 3 pairs of shoes, undies and that's the lot.

Imagine having just two outfits... well, my chap does, I suppose. He has four pairs of identical work trousers, 8 or so very similar work shirts; a couple of pairs of linen trousers for summer weekends, and borrows one of my big jumpers for cold weather. A lightweight jacket and a heavy jacket. Two pairs of identical leather work shoes, two pairs of walking-trainers. Undies and handkerchieves. That's the lot.
    How many coupons does he spend per annum? Er, none at all last year, I think...

I've got a dozen big skirts, half a dozen pairs of trousers, 30 or so tops in different colours, 20 or so camisoles in different colours, a dozen or more jumpers and cardigans in different colours, and let's just leave my Imelda Marcos shoe collection out of it
    How many coupons did I spend last year? Ahem, more than mine and his combined!

I need more of the clothes that go with more than one thing, that work harder - I have lazy clothes, that's what it is

Although also - modern women's clothes don't last properly. I bought Sainsbury's pyjamas from their men's dept in November and the trousers still haven't worn thin on the inner thighs, let alone worn through. I hadn't realised til I found myself marvelling, that I have simply become accustomed to buying women's PJ-bottoms and expecting them to last only 2-3 months.

So not only do I want my clothes to be more versatile in use, I damn well want them to be decent quality and last!!!!
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 10th Feb 19, 6:47 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    vintagegal
    Hello

Everything you have all posted today - so true! Quality is poor, we think we need much more than we really do, we dont treasure things and we think we need a new outfit for every occasion. One thing I hope to get from this challenge is being happy to buy less but better. As well as appreciating all that I have already.

Today I went to fix my pinafore dress. I am so silly. It actually has two sets of buttons, and if I cross the straps at the back it actually fits me without needing any alterations...will wear it to work one day this week.

How are you adding photos to your posts?

Vintagegal x
    Fashion on the Ration 2019 used 16 / 66
    • diminua
    • By diminua 10th Feb 19, 8:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    diminua
    Can I Join Please?
    Hi,
    I'd like to join if that's OK. I normally kid myself I don't buy that many clothes, but quite a lot of what I have was bought in the last year, and I know it's largely because what I have doesn't last.

Part of that is because I'm not great at looking after clothes. If I have missing buttons or hems coming down I think 'I'll sort that later' - but don't.
    So this evening I was inspired to (finally) fix the hem on my grey trousers, sew some missing buttons on my raincoat, and shift some buttons over on my winter coat (it's meant to have 4 functioning buttons and 3 that do nothing except make it more symmetrical. Since I'm missing quite a few I took off all the ones that are just decorative and moved them over so I can do it up - the buttons weren't sewn on that well and unpicked easily with no mark on the fabric).
    All three jobs took less than an hour to do and the garments look much better now. However I don't think the trousers (St Michael's finest nylon) will last to next December, which is another issue - clothes that don't last or lose buttons because they weren't well made to start with. I'm hoping this challenge will make me consider not just how something will look for a month or two, but whether it has durability (and also check if buttons are tacked on badly, and if they are reinforce them with a few pre-emptive stitches before they're lost forever).

So far this year I've bought a rust coloured jumper (cotton/acrylic) so that's 5 out of my 66 coupons.

Thanks,

Diminua
    Last edited by diminua; 10-02-2019 at 8:55 PM.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 10th Feb 19, 8:37 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    When I type my post, there's a row of buttons above the box, to do bold or italic or underline, etc., and one of them is a little picture of mountains and the sun, and it's "image" - I can't upload an image but if it's already online somewhere, I can go to that website and right-click/ cmd-click and one of the options I get is "copy image address" - then back to here and I just click the "image" picture and paste in the image address and then it comes up.

Well done on the straps!

I think my irritation at the quality of clothing was around before, as a general sort of thing but doing this challenge last year and this has really sharpened it up.

I used to just fel a bit miffed if I bought something and it didn't last - so I'd buy two, or three, knowing it wouldn't last, and then try to make each one last anyway...

But now if I buy something and it doesn't last I feel cheated - oi you, those were MY COUPONS you conned me out of!!!!!
    I feel outraged and indignant and cross when some item of clothing lasts weeks, not even months.

So it's really changed how I view the throwaway cheap shoddy stuff - it's gone from inconvenient to a real sense of howling outrage and personal indignation!

How stupid do they think we are?!?!

Oh.

Really?

THAT stupid?

Woah. Well, yeah, based on the national evidence, I guess we are that dumb... just a couple of weeks ago I bought two items sold as "tops" which are literally too thin to wear as tops. And no, they weren't meant to be enticingly transparent, either, just really cheap shoddy mega-thin jersey-knit t-shirt fabric...
    So even though I know cheap stuff is rubbish, I still fall for it when it's reduced...

I'm getting there though!!!

(Currently learning to crochet filet-lace insertions so I can make some really pretty camisoles to wear under little blouses and cardigans so I can eventually stop wearing the wretched long-sleeve jersey-knit tops!)
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 10th Feb 19, 9:02 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Not sure if this works, and the kindle camera is awful but this is my hat https://pin.it/wkj6axq277madl
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    The hat is lovely! Looks a lot like crochet.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 10th Feb 19, 9:26 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Hi,
    I'd like to join if that's OK. I normally kid myself I don't buy that many clothes, but quite a lot of what I have was bought in the last year, and I know it's largely because what I have doesn't last.

Part of that is because I'm not great at looking after clothes. If I have missing buttons or hems coming down I think 'I'll sort that later' - but don't.
    So this evening I was inspired to (finally) fix the hem on my grey trousers, sew some missing buttons on my raincoat, and shift some buttons over on my winter coat (it's meant to have 4 functioning buttons and 3 that do nothing except make it more symmetrical. Since I'm missing quite a few I took off all the ones that are just decorative and moved them over so I can do it up - the buttons weren't sewn on that well and unpicked easily with no mark on the fabric).
    All three jobs took less than an hour to do and the garments look much better now. However I don't think the trousers (St Michael's finest nylon) will last to next December, which is another issue - clothes that don't last or lose buttons because they weren't well made to start with. I'm hoping this challenge will make me consider not just how something will look for a month or two, but whether it has durability (and also check if buttons are tacked on badly, and if they are reinforce them with a few pre-emptive stitches before they're lost forever).

So far this year I've bought a rust coloured jumper (cotton/acrylic) so that's 5 out of my 66 coupons.

Thanks,

Diminua
    Originally posted by diminua
    Welcome Diminua. Yes of course you can join.

I totally agree that the quality of much of the clothing sold is terrible. Its the t-shirt seams that unravel after a couple of months of wear, and the fabrics that seem to dissolve in the wash. Im fussy about fabric anyway; I hate anything that feels too plasticky - polyester anyone? - it makes my skin creep. I like natural fibres: wool, cotton and silk.

Like you, the biggest enemy to my wardrobe is my own laziness. I have the skills to sew hems, buttons, etc, to re-stitch seams, to replace linings and zips and to make minor adjustments (although I could really do with a dress-form). Im a good seamstress - I grew up in a house where sewing was normal. My mother was a trained dressmaker and my great-uncle was a tailor (he died before I was born but, when I was a teenager, I made a dress out of some flannel hed passed to my mum). I just dont have the oomph.

- Pip

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 10th Feb 19, 9:57 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Even I cant resist a bargain
    I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    Make that 36 coupons. Regardless of how many pairs of jeans I have - at least 7 - I couldn’t resist this morning’s email from M&S, promoting 15 skinny jeans and a 5 money-off voucher. I’ve just ordered a pair of indigo coloured skinny jeans from their website, for 10. That’s 6 coupons spent.

What can I say? I like skinny jeans and literally had my favourite pair dissolve on my thighs last year*. They had really good front pockets, which would take my phone and other things too. I have two other pairs: the Levis that I’m wearing tonight - which can just about fit my iPhone in their front pockets - and another pair which can barely fit a tissue, so get worn under sufferance.

Can I rant about phones and pockets? No. Please stop me..... **

- Pip (I’m no paragon of virtue.)

*. Purchased August 2015 from MrT’s in Dunfermline for 25 and worn to death. I got my money’s worth out of them. I’ve kicked myself that I didn’t buy two pairs.

**. Dear Mr Apple, please don’t make the iPhone any bigger. Please make a smaller model or reinstate the SE. One of the reasons I went for an iPhone SE is because it fit into my pocket, unlike any of the larger models.
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 10-02-2019 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Correcting the points

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 11th Feb 19, 7:57 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 25,321 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I think finding a well-fitting pair of jeans is so hard ... but I was really surprised at how many pairs I found in my charity-shop round last year. However, it takes time, persistence and luck. I usually have two pairs of jeans, and wear them to death.

It's so true that we have sacrificed quality for price. Even M &S t-shirts are thin these days, they used to be good quality cotton. However now I've found that making t-shirts is so easy I'm going to be making my own this year - not that I need any, probably about 15 at the last count, plus other tops!
    Like you, Pip, I can't face unpicking seams and moving waistbands - due to recent weight-loss my black work trousers are now too big, I'm managing with a belt at the moment but at some point I'm going to have to get new ones - or tackle taking these in. They're not mega-expensive so it might be a good opportunity to see if I can do it, no loss if they go wrong.

One of my favourite books is Rosamond Lehmann's 'Invitation To The Waltz'. Set in the late 1920s, it starts with the main character waking up on her 16th birthday and deciding which of her two jumpers to wear that day - the red or the fawn? Yep - she has TWO jumpers. It explains why those lovely old-fashioned wardrobes from those days now seem so small!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 11th Feb 19, 12:14 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    vintagegal
    Thanks for the book recommendation PollyWollyDoodle, I have just splashed out on a 2nd hand copy for 2.20 inc postage!!
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 11th Feb 19, 1:03 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 25,321 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Ooh I hope you love it as much as I do!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 11th Feb 19, 4:25 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    vintagegal
    I am always interested in a good book!
    I forgot to mention earlier that I KNITTED A HAT!!!

It is massive

But I did decreasing and sewing up so that's an achievement I think
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 12th Feb 19, 12:30 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    vintagegal
    I'm wearing my coupon free Grensons today, still loving them.

They've garnered some snarky comments - they are a black and white brogue - all from men who think they look like 'golf' shoes or 'gangster' shoes.

I am a bit miffed that people think they can say things like this to your face. Usually I can rise above these remarks but today I feel irritated.

Clothes are our form of self expression and no one has a right to belittle our choices.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Feb 19, 1:20 PM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 25,321 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Absolutely right, and you're right to be irritated. Nobody else's business.
    • Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    • By Crafty Lisa Hampshire 12th Feb 19, 2:04 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    This isn't so much an update on me but I thought I would share this with you guys. I met up with a friend on Sunday for a cuppa in town and was talking to her about the virtue of charity shops and the successes I have had in them recently (I have only recently been converted). She said that when she used to trawl through the shops with her son for his vinyl records she was never very successful. When we went our separate ways she passed a charity shop on the way to the bus stop and popped in to see. She texted me later to say she had purchased two lovely jumpers and two lovely scarves. We have agreed that we should spend one day on a "shopping" spree but just go to charity shops. I think I have converted her.
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 12th Feb 19, 2:12 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    vintagegal
    How lovely crafty_lisa_hampshire, I need a charity shop friend too!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 12th Feb 19, 7:00 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    The jeans are lovely
    Perfect fit. Just the right length and with decent front pockets. I am tempted to buy another two pairs for posterity before they go out of stock: one in black and another in the denim blue. I have the money - at 15/pair they’re very affordable plus there’s more than 30 in my clothing account and I even have another money-off voucher.... It’s just the coupon cost that’s holding me back! 12 more coupons spent would leave me with 24 for the rest of the year....

Can I break my self-imposed constraint? The one where I took the suit that I bought in December and included it in 2019’s coupon spend? Can I put that suit back into last year? That would give me an extra 25 coupons with which to get through 2019.

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!

- Pip

PS: these are the ones I bought: https://www.marksandspencer.com/mid-rise-skinny-leg-jeans/p/p22469385?prevPage=plp

PPS: Sod it. I’ve bought the extra 2 pairs.
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 12-02-2019 at 7:20 PM.

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 12th Feb 19, 7:05 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I'm wearing my coupon free Grensons today, still loving them.

They've garnered some snarky comments - they are a black and white brogue - all from men who think they look like 'golf' shoes or 'gangster' shoes.

I am a bit miffed that people think they can say things like this to your face. Usually I can rise above these remarks but today I feel irritated.

Clothes are our form of self expression and no one has a right to belittle our choices.
    Originally posted by vintagegal
    How annoying! I bet theyd look lovely with tweed, Prince Of Wales check trousers; very smart, very 1930s and not gangster-ish at all.

Congratulations on the hat! Wear it with pride.

- Pip

• diminua
    • By diminua 12th Feb 19, 8:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    diminua
    Thanks for the welcome PipneyJane. I do have 2 more coupons to declare - on gloves. They were the right size (I take a 3, so large children's gloves) and grey and much warmer and more versatile than my old pink ones, and half price at 6. So I had to, really.

Reading the Julie Summers Fashion on the Ration book (thanks are due to vintagegal, who recommended it a few pages back I think) - it seems women were wearing boys shoes to use fewer coupons/because they were practical. I wonder if someone my size (well, my height but slimmer) could have got away with wearing a child's mac or jacket, with a whole 3 coupons saved. Or would the shopkeeper have to say 'If it's for you madam, then I'm afraid...'

59 coupons left
    Last edited by diminua; 12-02-2019 at 8:50 PM. Reason: forgot to add coupons left!
    • vintagegal
    • By vintagegal 12th Feb 19, 9:02 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    vintagegal
    Pipneyjane, the jeans sound like a good buy as you will wear them a lot, and thats the basis for this challenge. Id say you could have the suit coupons back too!
    Glad youre enjoying the book Diminua, I bet people did find ways to stretch the coupons. I have small feet so would definitely have tried to get kids shoes!
    Time for the sewing bee!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

2,378Users online

Martin's Twitter