Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 22nd Dec 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1,284Posts
    • 7,445Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Frugal in retirement
    • 22nd Dec 18, 9:43 AM
    Frugal in retirement 22nd Dec 18 at 9:43 AM
    Hi guys
    OH took early retirement two years ago. I still work part time because I find I need a little structure and enjoy the extra money.
    Weíre never going to be rich but we have a nice little flat ( it needs a few tweaks, the bathroom and kitchen both need revamping) but are ok at the moment and is where we want to be and old age proof for later in life.
    We have quite a bucket list that keeps growing and weíll never get through it all but are aiming to try our best.
    But itís ok bringing in the extra money but I feel we need to squeeze the most out of what we already have and make every penny count.
    So this thread is where I want to pop by and update on my progress and keep me on track.
    Xmas is all bought now (apart from my nephews kids who I will give money when we visit) so no more spending.
    Once Xmas is over I will report in regularly.
    Anyone who wants to keep me company please feel free to join in
    Cuddles
Page 1
    • rachel6188
    • By rachel6188 22nd Dec 18, 10:14 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    rachel6188
    • 22nd Dec 18, 10:14 AM
    • 22nd Dec 18, 10:14 AM
    Hi,
    I'm only 30 but I am wanting to start being more careful with what we are spending and the new year is I think when I'm going to start so I will join you on your journey if that is OK. I hope that you have a lovely Christmas xxx
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 22nd Dec 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 7,445 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    • 22nd Dec 18, 10:17 AM
    • 22nd Dec 18, 10:17 AM
    That would be lovely Rachel the more the merrier. Happy Christmas to you too 😃🎄😃
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd Dec 18, 11:05 AM
    • 11,348 Posts
    • 77,726 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    • 22nd Dec 18, 11:05 AM
    • 22nd Dec 18, 11:05 AM
    Well I'm retired, live simply fairly frugally but I know I can do better.

I am also determined to enjoy a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget. (see the thread I started).

However, I have decided I also want to make some further cutbacks next year so I can boost my savings (without it impacting on my fun of course). So I'll join you if I may.

I want to save at least an additional £2k next year. I look forward to rolling up my sleeves and getting cracking in the new year.

In the meantime, Happy Christmas.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 22nd Dec 18, 11:57 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 10,196 Thanks
    grunnie
    • 22nd Dec 18, 11:57 AM
    • 22nd Dec 18, 11:57 AM
    I have been retired for coming up to 15 years now and mortgage is paid off, kids all grown up and left home and my money gets spent on what I want it to be spent on. Heating bills council tax food haha. Have to say there is a freedom in retirement that I never had when I was working or when I was young. I am enjoying that freedom and peace and a contentment.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 22nd Dec 18, 6:23 PM
    • 6,085 Posts
    • 44,880 Thanks
    joedenise
    • 22nd Dec 18, 6:23 PM
    • 22nd Dec 18, 6:23 PM
    I feel like Grunnie. Enjoying retirement of 8 years now, 2 of which were off sick so only benefits for that time.

We try to enjoy our retirement on a pension but also trying to update our bungalow whilst on a pension. We're nearly there - bathroom updated, kitchen being done early next year. Living room will hopefully be done later next year. Will just leave our bedroom to sort out properly but that will just be painting and new carpet as happy with bed and wardrobes/chest of drawers/bedside cabinets. which hopefully we'll sort the following year.

Denise
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Dec 18, 8:12 PM
    • 16,654 Posts
    • 142,779 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 22nd Dec 18, 8:12 PM
    • 22nd Dec 18, 8:12 PM
    I retired in 1995 and have never had so much to do since .Sadly I lost my OH in 2003 but have made a not so much a new life, and a slightly different one than I expected to. I belong to the W.I, the U3A a book club, a history club various local walking groups (think more gentle stroll as I need to use my stick to get about now more .) I also swim and have helped look after all of my seven grandchildren over the past 15 years.Down to the last two now although they are 17 & 14 so only need the occasional feeding with cake and biscuits etc I am a prolific knitter and knit for a couple of charities. I have a big circle of friends and both my DDs live close by. By living within my means and budgeting I have a family fortnights holiday in August and a week in a caravan with my tribe in April I also usually manage to get away for a week with my oldest friend in the spring.

I enjoy my life to the full as much as I can, I do what I can, and what I can't (gardening ) I pay someone else to do it.
    I like renovating old junk furniture etc and both my DDs have been able to use it over the years ,especially my youngest DD who has had five children .I am now a great granny and am looking forward to Erin getting big enough to have dolls that I can make outfits for I still have my DGD's dolls cot in the cupboard under the stairs which will be renovated in due time for her little girl.

I am always on the lookout for new ideas and will happily join in if I may
    Happy Christmas to each and every one of you

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2019 January £ 41.45 in total spent this month Feb £38.95 spentMarch food spend so far £24.90
    • mrs motivated
    • By mrs motivated 22nd Dec 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    mrs motivated
    • 22nd Dec 18, 9:33 PM
    • 22nd Dec 18, 9:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

I would like to join in too, I am planning to retire in 6 to 8 years, depending how the plan works out. There are a few things I would like to do to my bungalow, new bathroom and ensuite, extend a redo the kitchen....so saving and spending if you see what I Mean.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone gets on with this and picking up some frugal tips.

Merry Christmas everyone. X
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Accessible EF #152 £1000/£1000

Vets EF £2000/£2000
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 23rd Dec 18, 6:33 AM
    • 2,668 Posts
    • 25,947 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    • 23rd Dec 18, 6:33 AM
    • 23rd Dec 18, 6:33 AM
    I will follow you, if I may. I will be finishing work in January and am happy to take on the ideas of others. I might chip in, if I think I've got the hang of things but do feel free to correct me if I have the wrong end of things
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (£59,998) - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 £26,242.80 after Mar
    Save £12k in 2019 - #68 target is £7k £3,669.04 after Mar
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is £3k - 23.57% spent so far, after starting April shops
    My DFD is here
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 23rd Dec 18, 7:32 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 1,043 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    I am hoping that you don't mind me joining in as well. I have been retired for 8 years now. We live simply rather than frugally - we both worked for the NHS and have decent pensions. However, old habits die hard, we have always been committed to living simply (NHS salaries aren't that good!). We are now grateful that we can use our income to help our children and grandchildren, by paying for swimming lessons and make a regular contribution to their school.
    We built our own house on retirement - and had to keep that to a strict budget (no Grand Designs!) which means we are very comfortable.
    It is a huge help being able to take advantage of 'off peak'. My regular swimming costs me £15 a month.
    We live in in area with good markets and local producers, and make good use of those.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 23rd Dec 18, 8:09 AM
    • 25,904 Posts
    • 68,513 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Hi, cuddlymarm. I've been retired for 11years now and can't believe how easy it is - partly thanks to this site! I'm s big fan of vouchers and of Quidco, sales etc.

We go to cinema on the meerkats, then eat on them, too. It used to be using our Tesco vouchers to buy restaurant vouchers. As you can see, I'm a cheap date!

We love travelling, so that's always a focus of saving and spending. Otherwise, most of our leisure time is with U3A and its many activities, so interesting but not costly.
    Last edited by pollypenny; 24-12-2018 at 7:40 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 23rd Dec 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 7,445 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi guys
    Welcome all of you.
    Once Xmas is over I will be doing more batch cooking. Thereís no room in the freezer at the moment.
    I aim not to buy any makeup, moistures etc until Iíve used up what Iíve got. Iím still working my way through last Christmas gifts and then Iíll start on my birthday stash. Nothing will be thrown away until it is well and truly empty.
    Any saving will go to wipe out my credit card debt and then to pay off next years holiday.
    Weíve loads of clothes so nothing will be bought until weíve worn out most of them. Or if they are too big because we are both doing SW and then they will go to the charity shop.
    We live simply anyway but have let things slip recently. Christmas has been more expensive than I would have liked but next year is going to be less so. Weíve cut down on the food this year, next year weíll cut down on all the extra stocking filler bits. Itís very difficult though because old habits die hard.
    Anyway I better get on
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 23rd Dec 18, 10:31 AM
    • 25,904 Posts
    • 68,513 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I'm using up all my odd bits of moistures etc at the moment. I love Clinique and usually buy it in Philadelphia airport on the way home from busting son and family in the USA. But nit been since March so run out last week

I have three of the taster creams left from the Marks treat last year, so one of those at night and an Avon day cream. I must have bought that ages ago when supporting a local woman who'd split with her husband.

OH and I lost a lot weight two years ago, so stocked the charity shops. I'm wearing fine cords at the moment which are pulled in at the waist so much that they look gathered!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • janb5
    • By janb5 23rd Dec 18, 10:43 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 6,876 Thanks
    janb5
    I have been retired for six years and just like buildersdaughter am ex NHS . I am due to get my State pension in July so have augmented my pension by selling on Ebay,making cakes for my son`s work and also being a host for theatre professionals.

I love being retired and but definitely feel I have taken `my eye off the ball` with my monthly spending so need to monitor it more closely. I have had a lot of unanticipated costs recently such as the CH etc and definitely ran out of money.

The positives are that I live very near to the town centre and to public transport, have lots of friends and am never bored. It is hard being single not only because I miss being in a relationship and also it is more expensive!
    • frizz2
    • By frizz2 23rd Dec 18, 9:43 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    frizz2
    Hi Everyone,
    This sounds like a great idea. I will join too if that is okay. I am retiring in July next year, and am planning how to make my money go further then. I would appreciate hearing all the ideas you all have. I love sewing and knitting and I am trying to use up my stash of things before buying anymore. Look forward to sharing ideas!
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 23rd Dec 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 13,680 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone, just lost my post as the internet went down before I finished it!! Anyway I would like to follow. Retired a few years ago, only have state pension as had low paid jobs and being a single parent couldn't afford a private one, but I managed to buy my own house that was paid off before I retired and I manage pretty well (theres still only me) but I would like to do more things eg travel a bit more in this country and perhaps abroad if there was a chance, so I will follow and see if I can pick up a few tips.
    Nannyg
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    • davidsdesire
    • By davidsdesire 24th Dec 18, 12:57 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    davidsdesire
    i'd like to join as well. My dh will semi-retire this year (or so he says...i'll believe it when I see it) and I must learn to live on less. HE is ok with us spending from our retirement savings but I am not.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 24th Dec 18, 7:52 AM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 7,445 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Good morning guys
    Hope you are all happy and ready for tomorrowís festivities.
    I resisted the urge to buy more mince pies yesterday, weíve still two boxes left and lots of other yummy stuff. Also we are going to youngest sons for Xmas and Boxing Day this afternoon when I finish work and he will also have bought some. So I didnít spend a penny yesterday and thatís my aim for the rest of the week.
    Yesterday was soooo busy at work. You would think the shops were shut for weeks rather than a few hours 😱😱 and itís probably going to be as bad today. But after that Iím off and ready to eat, drink and laze about 😃🎄😃
    Well I better go get ready
    Have a wonderful day tomorrow guys
    Merry Christmas
    Cuddles
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 24th Dec 18, 9:35 AM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 40,135 Thanks
    Caterina
    January will see me and DH attempt to live on one state pension and two tiny occupational pensions. The second state pension, mine, is still more than 5 years away.

So I'm really interested in how this thread will develop!

Meanwhile, merry Christmas and peaceful New Year to all.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 24th Dec 18, 10:09 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 5,747 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi, I'd like to join as well. I retired with very little notice 3 years ago aged 60. I have two small pensions and supplement this from my savings till I get my state pension in October 2021. With the support of MSE I paid off my mortgage (ex LA house) 8 years early which then allowed me to future proof my home and have savings.

I divorced when my children were only small so I have complete control and responsibility for all spending and savings. Although my spending budget made in 2015 is going to plan I still feel really uncomfortable dipping into my savings each month.

This year has been a tough year for me and I feel I have lost my way a bit. My interests are sewing, knitting, quilting, baking, cooking, walking, going to the cinema and travelling. I love being retired and having the time to spend on all my activities.

My goal for next year is to get my mojo back while spending less xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,359Posts Today

4,984Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin