PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    others who decide what they'll have for supper on a whim when shopping at the local convenience store each day. Obviously, such a diet is likely to combine both low quality and greater expense than cooking from scratch

I'll just not start on the shame you feel as the Mother of one such...

Says she sending him home with a lidded soup mug (full of hm stew if I can get the timings to cooperate) or just "give him a lift back" from the supermarket with things you need to do slightly more than unwrap & heat. (Eggs flour & milk spring to mind, as he Likes pancakes but appears to have developed a distressing habit of cba.) Although a block of noodles might happen to fall into his bag too.

My parents & grandmothers did not stockpile, they stored.
    In pantries, where possible and in the space under seats (etc!) where the room had not been included in the house. Mind, I was raised by an eccentric who didn't regard a wholesaler as being exclusively someone else's wicket, but led us daughters in as pack-animals while he pondered what was available & did the maths.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :p You can brung 'em up proper and still have an iffy outcome, at least for a while in young adulthood. Hopefully the excellent examples from childhood will be recalled. Especially after RL has smacked him upside the head a few times. Nothing like some ghastly offspring of the Beast From the East (the Pest from the West, perhaps?) to teach a few lessons.

Was reading a blogpost recently and an experiencd hiker lady was descending with her group from a majorish American mountain while seeing an ascending group of young adults heading up with one young woman in particular ridicously overladen. So much stuff on her back that she was unlikely to be able to make the hike and definately destined to have a miserable time.

The hiker was trying to decide whether the young lady should be given some advice while she was still close enough to the carpark to offload some of the excess. An old hand in the older-people group counselled 'the mountain will teach her'.

It's a good metaphor for RL, isn't it?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Was reading a blogpost recently and an experiencd hiker lady was descending with her group from a majorish American mountain while seeing an ascending group of young adults heading up with one young woman in particular ridicously overladen. So much stuff on her back that she was unlikely to be able to make the hike and definately destined to have a miserable time.

The hiker was trying to decide whether the young lady should be given some advice while she was still close enough to the carpark to offload some of the excess. An old hand in the older-people group counselled 'the mountain will teach her'.

It's a good metaphor for RL, isn't it?
    I really, really like that :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I really, really like that :)
    :) Have the full blogpost: https://nosidebar.com/the-mountain-will-teach-her/
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    <Eyes work bag pensively>

Looks across at son likewise, and agrees.
    Yes, the mountain would teach her, just as my mountains had taught me. In my own way, in my own time, and at my own pace.

Deep calming breath.
    Many thanks!
  • Someone gave me a sapling holly tree just after Christmas, we planted it in the garden today in a nice sunny corner beside a shed. In order to dig the hole to put it in I had to weed that patch of garden and those weeds have been carefully hand harvested given a good soak and many rinses in clean water and are in some water in a jug waiting for my supper because they are some really verdant and succulent rosettes of Hairy Bitter Cress and totally delicious in either an egg and cress or a cheese and cress sandwich.....yummy yummy yummy!!!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think part of the problem is that the word "stockpiling" has come to have slightly unpleasant connotations of somehow undeservedly having more than one's fair share. A bit like "handout", or "pocketing", or even worse, "trousering", horrible made-up word!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    I think part of the problem is that the word "stockpiling" has come to have slightly unpleasant connotations of somehow undeservedly having more than one's fair share. A bit like "handout", or "pocketing", or even worse, "trousering", horrible made-up word!

It sounds in the same moral spectrum as "blackmarketeering" somehow.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It sounds in the same moral spectrum as "blackmarketeering" somehow.

That's it exactly!

ETA What a bonus, Lyn! Enjoy those sandwiches :)
  • GreyQueen
    :p Well, among other places I went into a Liddly and added 4 jars of olives and 4 cans of sardines to my stash. There were plenty left for anyone else who wanted some of the same, and another delivery lorry will be along tomorrow, and the day after and the day after....... and long may that happy situation continue.

In other parts of the store, other citizens were spending their shillings on whatever caught their fancy; cheese, gin, pizzas, shampoo, coleslaw, chocolate spread, crisps, magazines...

They could have been buying some cans to tuck away in a cupboard or box against a rainy day or a rainy month. Perhaps they've already got that covered, perhaps they don't know or care. But if any one of those who have the opportunity to forgo a pkt of crisps and buy two tins of sardines and who chooses not to were to ever accuse me of stockpiling, they would get very short shrift indeedy.:rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills