Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,553Posts
    • 8,416Thanks
    MandM90
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)
    • 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;) 28th Nov 18 at 1:34 PM
    Thanks to fuddle for helping to keep your lovely thread safe from the spam gremlins by starting a new one. I've unstuck the old one, link below...

This will be the PREPPING thread inspired by this long running thread

and the second one which can be found here

Votes took place here on what this thread is designed primarily for outcome was as follows....

54% One thread please politics or not - all prep chat welcome
    11.29% Two threads - one Brexit based politics welcome, one general life based, preferred no politics
    19.35% One thread, no politics please, this is OS
    14.52% I don't honestly mind

So with these differing opinions, please bear this in mind and enjoy the thread Be respectful and enjoy the community. I really hope everyone's happy with the outcome. I tried to be as fair as I could.

Let's not forget the intermittent prepping thread

Guidelines

* All posters are welcome. This thread doesn't "belong" to anyone (not even me )

* Please be nice to all moneysavers

* Let's all draw a line in the sand and move on from previous threads and disagreements etc

* Would love to see new people joining in here and existing posters who have gone quiet for whatever reason

EVERYONE IS WELCOME

Enjoy the new thread Ladels and Jellyspoons. I've made this a sticky to ensure it gets a great start and lots of contribution.

ZIP

From the previous thread, let's not forget how this started - from vanoonoo

I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 30
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 3rd Feb 19, 5:04 PM
    • 9,084 Posts
    • 30,244 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Might have been The Long Winter, but her recorded childhood had a healthy share of snow.

The Welsh farmer we know runs a line from the farmhouse to the lambing shed and his wife chuckles he can migrate along that mostly asleep, which means during lambing he does still sleep in his own bed for a few minutes a day.

8 kilos of seed spuds is a formidable amount. Best wishes for a good crop! Nosebleed hill sounds unpleasant, but sailing back down may have been the trickiest bit?
    Are we really supposed to be getting seeds to consider germination already?
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd Feb 19, 5:11 PM
    • 12,490 Posts
    • 240,506 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    It's 12 kg, the rest are with the 'rents. I bought most of my seeds for this season in early Sept 2018 in the Wilko sale for about 10p a pkt but there wasn't any rainbow chard to be had.

I won't be planting little seeds for many many weeks yet.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 3rd Feb 19, 6:40 PM
    • 5,554 Posts
    • 44,185 Thanks
    DawnW
    It's 12 kg, the rest are with the 'rents. I bought most of my seeds for this season in early Sept 2018 in the Wilko sale for about 10p a pkt but there wasn't any rainbow chard to be had.

I won't be planting little seeds for many many weeks yet.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen

Me neither. So many people are talking about sowing little seeds already, but it is far too early except for heated greenhouse stuff. They often won't be dissuaded either, and then claim that they can't grow things 'because they don't have green fingers', or there is something wrong with their gardens
    NSDs for April: 10 / 15
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd Feb 19, 7:36 PM
    • 12,490 Posts
    • 240,506 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I was once in the audience of a talk given by B0b Flowerdew. Another person asked him if you could plant parsnips in February.

You can plant them, he said drolly. They won't grow but you can plant them if you like.

My rule of thumb is that if cultivated soil is starting to be dotted with lots of teeny tiny weedlings, the soil is warm enough for seeds to germinate. Because that's exactly what you're looking at, lol.

It's a lot easier than fixating on a certain date in the calendar when weather is so variable, as well as the distance of a couple of hundred (or even far fewer) miles north or south makes a big difference.

Mostly (and I'm in southern England) you're not looking at little seeds before beginning April.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 4th Feb 19, 12:32 PM
    • 9,084 Posts
    • 30,244 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Observation suggests prepping includes knowing where the sticky plasters are before chopping apples to get jam to set.
    Says she, happily tapping at a phone rather than wrestling with a keyboard.
    Now to wait for child to return from school for the heavier lifting stage.
    Dash.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 4th Feb 19, 3:45 PM
    • 12,490 Posts
    • 240,506 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    A few days ago, I poked a divot of flesh out of the side of my finger when sticking a meat skewer thru a tater before baking it.

I sometimes feel I shouldn't be allowed in kitchens with all the pointy cutty things........
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 4th Feb 19, 3:59 PM
    • 9,084 Posts
    • 30,244 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I have to say it is the Wrong Method of checking your kitchen tools are sharp.

Also the cost of sticky plasters these days is hair-raising. Says she, eschewing Elastoplast & brand names in favour of a pile of cheaper generic alternatives.

Ah, dear child is back. Right, time to go sluice in iodine & then supervise works. A well trained chap should be able to take instructions, a better trained one should have an idea of how jam is made Anyway.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Feb 19, 4:31 PM
    • 13,191 Posts
    • 181,529 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Today I took some extra housekeeping and added 2 tins of minced beef, 2 x 24 packs of beef oxo, 4 packets of Oral B toothpaste, a large jar of Options hot chocolate, 11 packets of paracetamol and 2 black cherry jellies to the stores. I also got some cuppa soups but they're to use now. Also having just put it all away 2 x onion granules and 2 x garlic granules from Sainsbugs too.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 05-02-2019 at 6:44 PM.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 7th Feb 19, 3:15 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 37,094 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    A couple of jars of Sacla sauces on SO made their way home with me today for the store cupboard. Looking at the contents of said cupboard, I think I need to move on some of the things that we don't use any more to make room for things that we do & that may be in short supply for a while. Don't know whether I will ever quite manage to keep track of all the changing tastes & diets that happen in a household with more than one person living in it, between choices (one vegetarian, one pescatarian) and necessities/budget/medical advice (I'm currently on & off low-residue. OH is supposed to be going low-fat...)

It's a beautiful early-spring day down here today; bright, sunny and actually quite warm. Shame that winter's due back with a storm tomorrow!
    Angie

GC Apr 19 - 388.30/420 "Entertainments" 40/50
    Bulk-buy purse '19 42/250, pet & livestock food '19 69/400

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 9th Feb 19, 3:22 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 37,094 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I think I might stand a chance of just having discovered the oldest usable past-it's-use-by in the thread: trying to clear an obstinate blocked sinus, I hauled out a bottle of Olbas oil & "steamed" for a bit. DD2 fell about laughing when I said I didn't know how old it was but I couldn't remember having bought any for several years.

Expiry date was 10/97. It worked!
    Angie

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Feb 19, 5:13 PM
    • 31,284 Posts
    • 184,115 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's downright impressive, thriftwizard! Well done you!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Feb 19, 12:16 PM
    • 9,084 Posts
    • 30,244 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Awed, thriftwizard! Hope you are feeling better!

A few years ago, we planted the "edible hedge" which was held out for sale as a way of keeping your neighbours screened whilst providing all sorts of hope.

I've made the jam and I have to say it is delicious. Not a whiff of blood or sweat or tears, happily. Even strawberry jam afficioinado husband is taken with it (I got him to help - standard get awkward child to eat technique & teenagers claimed to have exam revision). Now I'm awaiting the fruit & veg bundle to come through ther frosts so I can extend the sorts of fruit & try veggies from seed.
    Kale & chard - what sorts for scrubby hillside, (largely neglected) and how best to coax awkward teens into ingesting?
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 12th Feb 19, 6:47 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 37,094 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Kale & chard - nearly all varieties are as tough as old boots when it comes to growing conditions. Red Russian kale is a favourite of ours; sometimes gets just about demolished by caterpillars overnight but will come roaring back again within a couple of weeks. Young Red Russian leaves are tender enough to be shredded into a salad, with a peppery taste, but larger leaves benefit from our go-to treatment for kale, cabbage & other leaves, which is to stir-fry them with garlic & soy sauce. A favourite even with teenage boys, if you keep going until they're almost crispy. I gather kale "crisps" (seasoned then oven-baked) are delicious too, but haven't made any yet.
    Angie

• jk0
    • By jk0 12th Feb 19, 8:13 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 26,350 Thanks
    jk0
    Pro Tip here regarding Kale which made me chuckle:

https://me.me/i/pro-tip-if-you-stir-coconut-oil-into-your-kale-19447116
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Feb 19, 8:54 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 27,014 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Chard is not very fussy, I haven't grown kale. Purple sprouting broccoli is easy and can be a good yielder.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Feb 19, 7:35 AM
    • 9,084 Posts
    • 30,244 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Red Russian sounds like, if I can grow it, they may well eat it Just For The Name. Purple sprouting broccoli the inverse and for the same illogic. Boychicks... Add enough garlic & soy & they'll certainly try it once & after that who knows?!

When do I commit seeds to rubs of soil & plan to migrate one the frosts are over, or is it a scatter on the ground & pray foodstuff? Caterpillars, not so many, slugs however - well, cold steel is the right answer but that requires diligence & I'm somewhat remiss.

Absolutely adore the coconut oil tip, jk0. (My sons were baffled when I bought a tub years ago, and still more when it remained in the bathroom as a hair treat. Discovering marks where I had scooped out the fun with fingers, culinary enthusiast retreated & I believe has yet to experiment with the joys as there is no way I am paying for a Second Tub.)
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Feb 19, 8:03 AM
    • 6,038 Posts
    • 65,642 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thanks for the tip jk0
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Feb 19, 3:45 PM
    • 12,490 Posts
    • 240,506 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Tell the boychicks it's called PSB. Doesn't that sound exciting and modern and almost technical.

I'm a fan of chard and highly recommend growing Rainbow Lights for giggles, they really are colourful, especially if you can somehow contrive a planting position which enables them to be backlit by the setting sun - gobsmackingly pretty and not at all worthy-looking like boring old green veg.

I let some of them set seed (OK, I went away for a fortnight, it was dry, they bolted) and they scattered seed all over my allotment. They default to silver chard and ruby chard btw. Super easy and you can dine off them 365 days a year.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Feb 19, 3:56 PM
    • 31,284 Posts
    • 184,115 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I cleared almost *four* square feet in the garden today, not my usual two I got a bucket of dead grass, and another bucket of couch grass roots I almost trashed my main lemon balm plant, as well as a couple of small stands of wild garlic but I patted down the clods and filled things in with some fresh topsoil. Hopefully, all the good stuff will survive. This is edging on an area that I've been using to stand on as I dig, which is almost bare. When I've dug *that* area, and let it sit for a bit, I'll be planting a fruit bush there. It might need to stay in a container this year, as I think the fence will need to be replaced Real Soon Now.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 13th Feb 19, 4:01 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 3,298 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I'm not a prepper but I came back in a small van from my Italian skiing holiday with 32 bottles of wine, 1 of spirits, 3 of different olive oils, 4 kilos of Carnaroli rice,a pack each of Ermes and Venere rice, some Italian flour, polenta, chestnut flour, dried porcini mushrooms, salami and kilos of cheese.. My friend didn't have quite as much and we realised that with her van (as opposed to my car) we could have got another layer of wine boxes in there!

Today I planted up some different toms, basil and parsley and I've just dissected one of my dried peperoncini from last year for seeds.

Do I qualify as an honorary prepper?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,428Posts Today

5,431Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin