Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 28th Nov 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,542Posts
    • 8,346Thanks
    MandM90
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:34 PM
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;) 28th Nov 18 at 2:34 PM
    Thanks to fuddle for helping to keep your lovely thread safe from the spam gremlins by starting a new one. I've unstuck the old one, link below...

This will be the PREPPING thread inspired by this long running thread

and the second one which can be found here

Votes took place here on what this thread is designed primarily for outcome was as follows....

54% One thread please politics or not - all prep chat welcome
    11.29% Two threads - one Brexit based politics welcome, one general life based, preferred no politics
    19.35% One thread, no politics please, this is OS
    14.52% I don't honestly mind

So with these differing opinions, please bear this in mind and enjoy the thread Be respectful and enjoy the community. I really hope everyone's happy with the outcome. I tried to be as fair as I could.

Let's not forget the intermittent prepping thread

Guidelines

* All posters are welcome. This thread doesn't "belong" to anyone (not even me )

* Please be nice to all moneysavers

* Let's all draw a line in the sand and move on from previous threads and disagreements etc

* Would love to see new people joining in here and existing posters who have gone quiet for whatever reason

EVERYONE IS WELCOME

Enjoy the new thread Ladels and Jellyspoons. I've made this a sticky to ensure it gets a great start and lots of contribution.

ZIP

From the previous thread, let's not forget how this started - from vanoonoo

I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • machasraven
    • By machasraven 28th Nov 18, 6:41 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    machasraven
    Another delurker here Hello everyone

The main addition to my store cupboard this year is chutney, I figure that it will bring a bit of spice to any meal and also had a glut of stuff this year. I have rhubarb, beetroot, plum, apple, pear, tomato, green tomato and onion( guaranteed there is something else hidden on the shelves).

Wine I have peapod and mint, apple and blackcurrant, plum, peach, beetroot (not sure about this but giving it a good lie down before trying) rhubarb and apple and pear.
    I am going to boost up my tins now as well.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 28th Nov 18, 6:54 PM
    • 15,385 Posts
    • 149,809 Thanks
    mardatha
    Fuddle I keep 3 bags of flour in the freezer and 1 in the cupboard (in a tin).
    • singlestep
    • By singlestep 28th Nov 18, 6:57 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    singlestep
    Thanks for the new thread

I am also de-lurking. I always read with interest, although actually assimilating info isn't necessarily following! I have just discovered tins from 2014 in my cupboard while rooting around for a food bank drive at work. A few things to add to what I bought, mainly tinned fruit I can no longer eat.

Perhaps it's a symptom of getting older or perhaps it's the relatively mild weather but I am rather feeling the cold this year. The main culprit is an external door my dining table is near. I've taken previous notes on possible solutions. Thanks, everybody.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 28th Nov 18, 7:04 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 8,731 Thanks
    Cappella
    Flour needs to be frozen for at least 48 hours to kill the nasties. Hope that's helpful.

I didn't know we had a new thread. Found it by accident. Nice but rather confused now. Feel rather surplus to requirements. Ah well. These things happen - and these days life is usually confusing
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 28th Nov 18, 7:18 PM
    • 8,772 Posts
    • 28,303 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Miword, a New Thread - thank you to all involved. Plumps a cushion & snuggles down in comfort.

I need to take my tins cupboard in hand, not least as it would appear the shelf was being led up by four tins & no-one tried to move them - until someone did & cascade... Ooops. Still, I've found tins of beans I didn't remember buying (borlotti beans - all suggestions gratefully received) & need to chuck the blown & dented tins.

A colleague has disparaged the Costco sourced chopped tomato tins as "utterly tasteless". Not knowing what iniquities chopped tomato can get up to I smiled vaguely & have sloped over here to check: has anyone else subjected their tinned tomatoes to a blind taste test & if so what did they find & does it vary? Or am I dithering needlessly & that with the usual accompaniment of balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, Lea & Perrins, garlic etc no-one tastes the tomato Anyway?

Oh yes & I was much intrigued to learn there is No Such Stuff as insulating tape, just marking tape, if your electric cable is showing its insides, It Isn't Safe & at work that is an offence that H&S prosecutes the guilty until proven innocent. At home, you are allowed to die of ignorance, but at work - speak out?! As the fix is apparently simple, "anything that cannot be removed without destruction" like heat shrink tubing. Which can be invisible or distinctly coloured to taste.

Oh & eyeing what is going on in Sydney - wicked flooding - if you can't swim, please consider learning. Yes, we're supposed to be having really hot summers, but why take a chance? You don't need to be expert to survive.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 28-11-2018 at 7:36 PM. Reason: Sydney news
    • Brambleberry
    • By Brambleberry 28th Nov 18, 7:34 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    Brambleberry
    A colleague has disparaged the Costco sourced chopped tomato tins as "utterly tasteless". Not knowing what iniquities chopped tomato can get up to I smiled vaguely & have sloped over here to check: has anyone else subjected their tinned tomatoes to a blind taste test & if so what did they find & does it vary? Or am I dithering needlessly & that with the usual accompaniment of balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, Lea & Perrins, garlic etc no-one tastes the tomato Anyway?
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Just used two tins of the Costco ones in dinner this evening, they looked nice, and had a bit more flesh/thicker juice, but needed all the usual boosts to get them going and a bit more...I even resorted to a smidge of pesto in desperation! (Shhh!-DP not keen on pesto, don't tell him!)
    Mortgage Free Oct 2018
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 28th Nov 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 36,412 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I do't mind which prepping thread I post on, as long as it contains you lovely like-minded souls!
    Angie

GC Feb 19 - 242.30/380 "Entertainments" 53/50
    Bulk-buy purse '19 250, pet & livestock food '19 58/400

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • -taff
    • By -taff 28th Nov 18, 7:49 PM
    • 9,319 Posts
    • 10,566 Thanks
    -taff
    Borlotti beans very nice in a hearty veg soup of onions, celery, carrots, kale [optional], leeks and potatoes. Adds a bit of protein. Sprinkle with nice [not dried] parmesan before eating.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 28th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    • 6,670 Posts
    • 102,024 Thanks
    fuddle
    Yey to the lurkers dekurking.

Thank you for the flour info. I'll be on to it in the next few days.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 28th Nov 18, 9:02 PM
    • 12,383 Posts
    • 238,544 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Yey to the lurkers dekurking.

Thank you for the flour info. I'll be on to it in the next few days.
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Hear, hear!!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• jk0
    • By jk0 28th Nov 18, 9:37 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 26,097 Thanks
    jk0
    Outfox the Market just raised it's price for 4th time!
    If anyone here is not on a fixed tariff, or with OFTM, can I draw your attention to this thread in the Energy forum:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5930713

I took on my mother's energy bills back in the summer, and switched her to Outfox the Market. They have put the price up 3 times since then, and now my mother's bill would be 35% more than they said in June.

I just went on uSwitch, and found an exclusive 2 year fix with ESB at 72 per year more than I'm presently paying.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 28th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 25,951 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Ooh, nice new thread! I did wonder if the previous one might be at risk of auto deletion or auto da fe.

Bolt ti beans can go into a cassoulet or a bean salad. If a tin of tomatoes seems a bit insipid you can always bung in a splat of puree.

I've just realised that I've put a big bag of flour in tge beetle cupboard, there are no beetles at present but they are naughty and might come back. No room in the flour cupboard and I don't want it go go back in the stored things place because I'm not feeling organised and will get in a muddle.

I seem to have overdone it with the tea light store but NOT on the scale of the OH'S bogmageddon stash, we still have over 100 loo rolls.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 28th Nov 18, 10:48 PM
    • 9,307 Posts
    • 59,845 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Happy new thread, preppers!
    One life - your life - live it!
    • Lance De Boils
    • By Lance De Boils 28th Nov 18, 11:14 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    Lance De Boils
    I think if you freeze flour for a few days it kills the bug babies but all flours have a finite lifespan, especially wholemeal. It's to do with the oils in it turning rancid.

Hardcore US preppers seem to favour storing wheat berries and grinding them into flour at need. Properly sealed, what they describe over there as red wheat can last for 30 years.

Re taters, I didn't water this year's crop at all but they were planted in soil with a lot of spent barley grains from the organic brewpub and seemed to hold enough moisture to keep growing. They were respectable if not effing (for newcomers, my allotment is in sight of the road and some passers-by witnessing one year's harvest commented to each other would you look at the size of those effing things!) Hence effing potatoes = very large potatoes.

I have deliberately acquired a second half-size plot alongside the full-size one - on a site with a glut of untenanted plots or this would not have been allowed - specifically to aid potato growing and crop rotation. Planning on sowing 10-12 kg seed spuds next year.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    A friend of mine had a scabby old rose plant that didn't do much. She'd read that if you plant a potato with rose bush it helps the roses grow. Anyway, the rose didn't grow so she dug it up and found lots of effing potatoes that grew from the one that she planted.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 29th Nov 18, 6:10 AM
    • 12,383 Posts
    • 238,544 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Love it! Sometimes self-sown or otherwise unintended potatoes produce the heaviest crop, it's a delightful astonishment to find several meals' worth of carbohydrate where you weren't expecting to find any at all!

In 2017, I had a spud plant grow from a small spud which must have been left behind when the previous year's crop was harvested. It was in bit of ground which had had a bonfire on it the previous autumn, and was only competing for nutrients with the runner beans that were growing in the same space.

The tater tops were monstrous big, sprawling over at least a square metre, so I had high hopes for the harvest. Wasn't disappointed as this single plant produced 3/4 bucket full. Happy memories - and plenty of them were effing.

The most effingest single tater I ever grew weighed 1.3 kg and fed four adults.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 29th Nov 18, 7:08 AM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 25,951 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    I've mostly found that the rogue potatoes (the ones you didn't deliberately plant) give a truly effing yield.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 29th Nov 18, 8:17 AM
    • 4,096 Posts
    • 65,514 Thanks
    silvasava
    Another one coming out of lurkdom I haven't ground space for taters so I've tried growing them in tubs for the last few years TBH I've never managed a decent crop despite all the care and coddling so will give it a miss next year
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 29th Nov 18, 8:32 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 6,988 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Happy New Thread Day, my friends.

Apologies but I will be mostly lurking. (No change there then.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 29th Nov 18, 8:42 AM
    • 8,772 Posts
    • 28,303 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I seem to have overdone it with the tea light store but NOT on the scale of the OH'S bogmageddon stash, we still have over 100 loo rolls.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    Recent experience suggests that in the advent of any upset tummy bug, the loo roll stash dwindles almost as fast as affection for the person held responsible. Stay prepared & avoid unwanted shopping trips!

Anyway, can you honestly have too many tealights etc - so long as you are not actually tripping over stores, and routes out are clear in the event of fire?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 29th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 13,003 Posts
    • 179,569 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Nice to log in this morning and find so many people who normally read joining in, hi everyone, thank you for being here and saying so as it makes the thread and it's contents valid, please stay with us even if it's in the wings, it's good to have you along for the ride.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,593Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter