Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,553Posts
    • 8,416Thanks
    MandM90
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)
    • 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;) 28th Nov 18 at 1:34 PM
    Thanks to fuddle for helping to keep your lovely thread safe from the spam gremlins by starting a new one. I've unstuck the old one, link below...

This will be the PREPPING thread inspired by this long running thread

and the second one which can be found here

Votes took place here on what this thread is designed primarily for outcome was as follows....

54% One thread please politics or not - all prep chat welcome
    11.29% Two threads - one Brexit based politics welcome, one general life based, preferred no politics
    19.35% One thread, no politics please, this is OS
    14.52% I don't honestly mind

So with these differing opinions, please bear this in mind and enjoy the thread Be respectful and enjoy the community. I really hope everyone's happy with the outcome. I tried to be as fair as I could.

Let's not forget the intermittent prepping thread

Guidelines

* All posters are welcome. This thread doesn't "belong" to anyone (not even me )

* Please be nice to all moneysavers

* Let's all draw a line in the sand and move on from previous threads and disagreements etc

* Would love to see new people joining in here and existing posters who have gone quiet for whatever reason

EVERYONE IS WELCOME

Enjoy the new thread Ladels and Jellyspoons. I've made this a sticky to ensure it gets a great start and lots of contribution.

ZIP

From the previous thread, let's not forget how this started - from vanoonoo

I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 28th Nov 18, 2:06 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    Doveling
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:06 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:06 PM
    What spam gremlins?
    How rude. Didn't we vote last time?
    Definitely needs to be a sticky to help others.
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 28th Nov 18, 2:07 PM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,055 Thanks
    fuddle
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:07 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:07 PM
    Thank you M&M90

No need to make a fuss again doveling. We have a new thread like every other thread on here that gets big.

As we were then...
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 28th Nov 18, 2:17 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    Doveling
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:17 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:17 PM
    Not making a fuss - do not patronise me!

Taking it upon yourself without any askance or input is just plain rude.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 28th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    • 9,870 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    -taff
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:32 PM
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 28th Nov 18, 2:34 PM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,055 Thanks
    fuddle
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:34 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:34 PM
    All I did was contact a board guide about the subject. The board guide agreed and here we have a new thread. I'm not rude, what I did was not rude and I don't have to ask anyone's permission as a user of an open forum. I am proactive. Shoot me.
    Be like a tree.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 28th Nov 18, 2:42 PM
    • 13,188 Posts
    • 181,502 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:42 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:42 PM
    Thanks to both Fuddle and M&M for giving us a new thread, if anyone wants to apportion blame then give it to me as I suggested a new thread in the first place on the experience that quite a few other threads had been auto deleted by the Gremlins at around 10,000 posts which is where we were on the old one. Stickied or not it's the same argument that was used on the older thread that it has become just too long for new people to wade through for the information in it.

A new beginning …..and we'll all carry on prepping for our different reasons and in our different ways.....
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 28th Nov 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 8,416 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:43 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:43 PM
    What spam gremlins?
    How rude. Didn't we vote last time?
    Definitely needs to be a sticky to help others.
    Originally posted by Doveling
    We've lost a few long running threads in the past because of people (presumably accidentally) hitting the 'spam' buttons, which causes them to be irretrievably deleted. All of the previous threads are still in existance and can be found via the links in the first post
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 28th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    • 13,188 Posts
    • 181,502 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    It seems you're never too old to learn and am grateful for the internet for having film footage of useful things to know. We have the new stove in but it's a dedicated wood hearth i.e flat and not the slatted multi fuel hearth we had in the Clearview stove we had in Hampshire. We've been having difficulties getting the fire away from the paper and kindling stage so I looked on the internet and found we laying the initial paper and kindling wrongly in a grid with pieces of kindling on top of each other on top of the scrunched paper. For a wood hearth you need to make a pile of ash 2cm deep, scrunch up some newspaper but not tightly, add a few pieces of cardboard and then build a 'wigwam' of kindling wood around and over that, we got a nice bright fire away with one match and no fuss and within 5 minutes were able to put second stage sized wood on and get it alight immediately. Old dog.....new tricks gratefully learned!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 28-11-2018 at 3:00 PM.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 28th Nov 18, 3:24 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    Doveling
    -taff - thank you so much for pointing out that I had written askance instead of asking. That was really useful. Just not sure to whom.

I obviously have no objection to a new thread because of length. I remember who did last time.
    However, there are ways of going about things without getting people's backs up.

MandM90 - could the thread be stickied please, as Zippy so kindly did before.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 28th Nov 18, 3:27 PM
    • 9,870 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    -taff
    There's the top down method of lighting too.
    As you say, wood burs on embers, it doesn't need air from the bottom, as long as there's some kind of air going in, it'll burn. I've keep the door vent closed on mine and open the airwash one until it's good and red, then clode that one too and just burn one piece at a time on top of the embers.

I also, because I'm fed up of almost burning myself, don't bother with a lot of paper and a long match or firelighter thingy I found a blow torch I haven't used for a while [ it's fine to use just in case someone wants to scaremoneger] and I use that to light the kindling. I'll go back to matches or something when it's empty, but it's great for now.

-taff - thank you so much for pointing out that I had written askance instead of asking. That was really useful. Just not sure to whom.
    Originally posted by Doveling

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 28th Nov 18, 3:43 PM
    • 5,501 Posts
    • 80,711 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Awww thanks for the new thread, I'd got a bit out of habit with the old one and then (ridiculously) felt like an intruder when I posted. Hopefully more will come out of the woodwork onto the shiny new one - come out, come out, wherever you are...

Onwards with the prepping - which, for me, seems to consist of running things down, so i can build them up again..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 28th Nov 18, 3:46 PM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,055 Thanks
    fuddle
    Dear zippy skickied the thread previously because she closed down 2 prepping threads that was born out of argument and disagreement and she wanted people to know where it was. I don't think it was meant to be skickied for two years but it's not important.

What makes prepping so important that it needs to be stickied Doveling?

To be honest I don't understand why the fuss. We have a new thread. We can all use it and if M&M90 thinks it should be stickied then so be it.
    Be like a tree.
    • elona
    • By elona 28th Nov 18, 3:52 PM
    • 11,110 Posts
    • 63,204 Thanks
    elona
    fuddle and M&M90

Thanks for being proactive about the thread. I would hate for it to disappear like some of the others.

Not sure if it counts as prepping but I finally got round to starting to shorten one of the floor length living room curtains - only been meaning to do that for about a year!!!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 28th Nov 18, 3:55 PM
    • 12,486 Posts
    • 240,460 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Yayyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy New Thread Day, preptastic ones.

Re fires, I've no experience of woodstoves but considerable experience of bonfiring and have left a nice deep bed of ash (about 4 inches deep) on my allotment bonfire spot to help the next bonfire get away. Plenty of time in spring to rake out the ash pile and turn it under.

I have plans to grow a large amount of taters to feed all the family. Hope the rains come at optimal times in 2019.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 28th Nov 18, 4:13 PM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,055 Thanks
    fuddle
    Sadly GQ the brainy people think we're on course for hot summers until 2022. I can't provide a link though I heard that on a debate. I'm wondering whether to bother with tatos at all because no amount of watering will make 'em grow if they' re too hot and I'm not experienced enough to suss out the signs, frustratingly.

Cards on the table re:flour. How many in store is sensible in terms of the creepy crawly risk? I have one in use and one in back up. Can I push that further adding more bags?
    Be like a tree.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 28th Nov 18, 4:38 PM
    • 31,276 Posts
    • 184,068 Thanks
    Karmacat
    In my constant efforts to clear the garden, I dug up a *lot* of garlic bulbs I'd planted sort of randomly - I used plant markers from Wilko that were like thin lolly sticks, but they disintegrated! - and I dug up the garlic a few weeks ago. While I was away recently helping a family member, they sprouted, even while sitting on my patio table so today, I've planted lots of them - in containers, in nice fresh soil from the garden centre, which will be flung somewhere useful when I've finished with it. I'm going to have a lot of garlic next year
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 28th Nov 18, 4:39 PM
    • 12,486 Posts
    • 240,460 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I think if you freeze flour for a few days it kills the bug babies but all flours have a finite lifespan, especially wholemeal. It's to do with the oils in it turning rancid.

Hardcore US preppers seem to favour storing wheat berries and grinding them into flour at need. Properly sealed, what they describe over there as red wheat can last for 30 years.

Re taters, I didn't water this year's crop at all but they were planted in soil with a lot of spent barley grains from the organic brewpub and seemed to hold enough moisture to keep growing. They were respectable if not effing (for newcomers, my allotment is in sight of the road and some passers-by witnessing one year's harvest commented to each other would you look at the size of those effing things!) Hence effing potatoes = very large potatoes.

I have deliberately acquired a second half-size plot alongside the full-size one - on a site with a glut of untenanted plots or this would not have been allowed - specifically to aid potato growing and crop rotation. Planning on sowing 10-12 kg seed spuds next year.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• maryb
    • By maryb 28th Nov 18, 4:52 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 49,481 Thanks
    maryb
    OOH shiny new thread. Thank you.
    It's good to make sure it can't disappear inadvertently, though I'd love it if the IT peeps at MSE Towers could retrieve old threads. Jackie O had a thread about making do which got gremlinned and the replacement thread lost some momentum

Fuddle I think you'd be fine with storing more flour if you stick it in the freezer first. That kills off anything that's in the flour when you buy it. I stockpile about 8 bags at a time because that's the amount that fits in a plastic crate with a lid and it also happens to last about the right length of time between discounts on the brand I prefer. I keep it in a sealed crate because we had a visit from Mr M Mouse once who nibbled the corner of every packet I had on open shelves in my store cupboard. You would not believe the damage one little mouse can cause!!! But mice don't seem to be able to gnaw through plastic crates (Unlike cousin Roland outside which periodically gnaws through the food recycling bin - they say that, in London, you are never very far from a rat, but thank Heaven they stay outside)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 28th Nov 18, 5:28 PM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,055 Thanks
    fuddle
    Thanks maryb. How long shod the bags be frozen for?
    Be like a tree.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,439Posts Today

5,287Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin