Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Nov 18, 10:04 PM
    • 27,952Posts
    • 59,513Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    JML Handy Heater
    • 3rd Nov 18, 10:04 PM
    JML Handy Heater 3rd Nov 18 at 10:04 PM
    Anyone tried it? Online reviews are v mixed, so confusing!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Page 1
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jan 19, 12:27 AM
    • 27,952 Posts
    • 59,513 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 21st Jan 19, 12:27 AM
    • 21st Jan 19, 12:27 AM
    I actually have one now, but still haven't tried it. Why not? Because the heater hangs down from the plug socket, meaning that you have to have a certain drop between the socket and the floor in your ryder to operate it (it doesn't seem go like extension leads, presumably because they lay flat on the floor). So although i have one, I won't be using it anytime soon.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 21st Jan 19, 6:06 AM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 21st Jan 19, 6:06 AM
    • 21st Jan 19, 6:06 AM
    It's a low powered 500 watt heater. It will probably heat your ankles if you sit close to it.

Which is better? 500W heater where you are limited in where it can be located for 40. It may not even be enough to counter the heat loss.
    Or
    A 2KW heater for 10 that you can move about?

Both will use the same amount of electricity to raise the temperature by one degree (assuming no draughts)
    • Techno
    • By Techno 21st Jan 19, 8:02 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Techno
    • 21st Jan 19, 8:02 AM
    • 21st Jan 19, 8:02 AM
    We bought one to add a little extra heat in the motorhome as you are limited to the number of amps you can draw when on hookup. It was OK but do need enough clearance and I wouldn't get one for the house.
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 22nd Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 27,952 Posts
    • 59,513 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 22nd Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 22nd Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    It's a low powered 500 watt heater. It will probably heat your ankles if you sit close to it.

Which is better? 500W heater where you are limited in where it can be located for 40. It may not even be enough to counter the heat loss.
    Or
    A 2KW heater for 10 that you can move about?

Both will use the same amount of electricity to raise the temperature by one degree (assuming no draughts)
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    I am lucky enough to wfh once a week, as is my brother in his own home. We both really wanted something small and efficient so we could sit in our respective studies with the door closed and not feel the chill, so he bought 2 @ BOGOHP, which worked out at GBP 30 a piece (my keyboard has become Americanised for some reason).

He'd completely renovated his home (hence modern high powerpoints, complete with USB chargers) and found the Handy Heater to work well for him. 60p for heating the room for the whole working day is an acceptable price to pay. a 2KW heater would cost closer to GBP 2.50. So I could pay GBP 5 vs GBP 20+ over 8 weeks. I keep stuff for years, and with further usage the extra cost could easily be recouped by 2020.

All this is academic of course, until I get new sockets in!

• coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 22nd Jan 19, 12:32 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 22nd Jan 19, 12:32 PM
    • 22nd Jan 19, 12:32 PM
    They are an innovative idea and no doubt have particular applications that they fit better than anything else. My worry would be longevity: electronics in close proximity to a high density heating element, as the two don’t tend to play well together. Be interested to know how long the heaters last.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 22nd Jan 19, 5:40 PM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 22nd Jan 19, 5:40 PM
    • 22nd Jan 19, 5:40 PM
    found the Handy Heater to work well for him. 60p for heating the room for the whole working day is an acceptable price to pay. a 2KW heater would cost closer to GBP 2.50
    As I said, both the 500W & 2KW heaters will use the same amount of electricity to raise the temperature by a certain amount.

If the 500W heater uses 60p of electricity to raise/hold the temp at x degs then the 2KW will use the same unless it is grossly inefficient. It doesn't use 4 times the amount because it has 4 times the power.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 22nd Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    • 27,952 Posts
    • 59,513 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 22nd Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    • 22nd Jan 19, 8:54 PM
    As I said, both the 500W & 2KW heaters will use the same amount of electricity to raise the temperature by a certain amount.

If the 500W heater uses 60p of electricity to raise/hold the temp at x degs then the 2KW will use the same unless it is grossly inefficient. It doesn't use 4 times the amount because it has 4 times the power.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    I don't have a thermostat in my study, and guessing the electric devices have internal thermostat and cut-off mechanisms to prevent overheating but AFAIK none of them have external thermostats? The chances are I would switch any device on and keep it running. I can't imagine switching it on and off all day.

• unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 23rd Jan 19, 5:40 AM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 23rd Jan 19, 5:40 AM
    • 23rd Jan 19, 5:40 AM
    The internal thermostat works the same way as an external one by reacting to the air temperature around it. In a fan heaters case it's the temperature of the air being drawn in.

The only difference is that the fan heater will act on air temp at foot level and an external one is normally 4ft up a wall.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 23rd Jan 19, 2:20 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I don't have a thermostat in my study, and guessing the electric devices have internal thermostat and cut-off mechanisms to prevent overheating but AFAIK none of them have external thermostats? The chances are I would switch any device on and keep it running. I can't imagine switching it on and off all day.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    The mini heaters I've seen let you set a target room temperature on the digital display and the heater then aims to maintain that temperature, which is neat.

Not sure they would last too long near floor level; they might get blocked up with carpet fluff, etc.
    • McJester
    • By McJester 11th Feb 19, 3:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    McJester
    I bought one of these on a whim in Asda yesterday, and was trying it out in my home office today and I can honestly say, its pants. My office is smaill 2m x 3m and had the heater running all morning, and it made very little difference to the heat in the room.

I was hoping to use it rather than heating the entire house, but no the central heating has just had to go on. Handy Heater might be able to heat a small cupboard, but not thisroom, will be taking it back to Asda, today to get my money back. Shame as I really wanted this to work.

Cheers

Peter
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Feb 19, 7:14 AM
    • 27,952 Posts
    • 59,513 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I bought one of these on a whim in Asda yesterday, and was trying it out in my home office today and I can honestly say, its pants. My office is smaill 2m x 3m and had the heater running all morning, and it made very little difference to the heat in the room.

I was hoping to use it rather than heating the entire house, but no the central heating has just had to go on. Handy Heater might be able to heat a small cupboard, but not thisroom, will be taking it back to Asda, today to get my money back. Shame as I really wanted this to work.

Cheers

Peter
    Originally posted by McJester
    That's a shame. My study is similar in size (10'x6') with myself in one corner, but I had intended for the heater to be placed near me. As indicated previously, the plan didn't work for logistical reasons. Will get it seen to when the rest of the electrical are sorted but its not my top priority atm.

I have to say the conservatory is a Godsend when we do have sunny winter days. Yesterday it was positively balmy, long after the sun disappeared.

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Feb 19, 7:38 AM
    • 15,785 Posts
    • 22,063 Thanks
    Gloomendoom

Cheers

Peter
    Originally posted by McJester
    When I work from home in the winter, I just use a 2kW convector heater with a built in thermostat. It easily warms the room. Compared to running the 28kW central heating boiler, even on mains gas, it costs pennies.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Feb 19, 8:16 AM
    • 65,779 Posts
    • 386,234 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    If you just want to raise the temperature a bit .... half fill a slow cooker with water and plug it in... obviously putting it "somewhere VERY safe and sensible" so you don't want it on the floor where you'll trip over it when you stand up and exit the room! ..... they chuck out an amazing amount of heat, with just 200W when running on high. It'd raise the study temperature - and keep it ticking over all day without you having to wonder whether to turn a heater on, or off, or on again, or off....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

461Posts Today

5,323Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @theresa_may: I?m pleased that we are banning all GPs? charges for forms relating to mental health and debt. I?d like to thank @mmhpi fo?

• Currently 52% in favour of self service checkouts, 48% staffed checkouts. I'm not saying a word! https://t.co/T7zzztSAr5

• RT @chihuahuamammy: @MartinSLewis Just rang the Student Loans Company following your show. A refund of £395 for overpayment. Not early reti?

• Follow Martin