Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 16,658Posts
    • 142,813Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 9:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 74
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 8th Feb 19, 11:07 AM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    Living proof
    Happy Birthday Jackie, have a lovely frugal day!

Congratulations Mto2CBs and I hope your culinary week improves.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Feb 19, 4:11 PM
    • 16,658 Posts
    • 142,813 Thanks
    JackieO
    hi chums lovely day yesterday topped off by a lovely bouquet of flowers from my DGS jack when I eventually got home about 9.00 last night that my neighbour had taken in for me Bless him he is a kind, thoughtful and penniless student and really he is daft, as I know he will struggle to get through term. His sister Katie is driving up to see him next week so she will be taking a box of bits that we have all of us put together for him plus she will take a cool bag of frozen stuff to go into his freezer shelf A lovely lad whom I am so proud to call my grandson as he has a heart as big as Texas, on his car he put ,'for you Nan as without your help I would never have got here ' He had little confidence for a long while whilst going through his GCSE's and 'A' levels but I would sit for hours helping him with his revision (I know a great deal about some very odd subjects now ) and I am pleased he made it he is the second of four boys and the one above him and the one younger are very bright and find revision a doddle while out gentle Jack struggled for a bit .But his tutor said he could do it and I wanted him to have the chance .So off he went to Uni last September and has gone from strength to strength

Tomorrow I shall be doing my first shop of the month and I am hoping to get it around £20 odd if I can as I am still eating from the freezer and store cupboard.

tonight I think I may have some pasta bolognese from the freezer which I had portioned up so that will be a bit more wriggle room at least

Onwards and upwards

JackieO xx
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 8th Feb 19, 7:52 PM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 10,431 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Happy birthday Jackie O (for yesterday).
    Hubby has been cat sitting so I have been living the past few weeks between two houses. Have managed to keep wasted down to virtually zero.
    Had a very easy dinner - fish goujons, chips and baked beans. No defrosting was required, which is what we needed today.
    £2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82 £50
    2019 - A clutter free life (40)
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 9th Feb 19, 1:30 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 14,897 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Soaked pantry navy beans overnight and cooked them all day in the Crock Pot. Tomorrow, they will be added to minestrone with various ‘need to be used up’ veggies from my crisper. They are cooling in the fridge now.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Feb 19, 7:18 AM
    • 5,501 Posts
    • 80,711 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Many happy returns JackieO

<<warning Klaxon>> there's space in my freezers

All this week I've been meaning to go shopping but every time i consider it, I end up deciding i don't need to. i did get a couple of bits yesterday but a full shop has been unnecessary. I think I'm learning. Will have to go tomorrow, I think.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 9th Feb 19, 9:21 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 7,637 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Many happy returns JackieO

<<warning Klaxon>> there's space in my freezers

All this week I've been meaning to go shopping but every time i consider it, I end up deciding i don't need to. i did get a couple of bits yesterday but a full shop has been unnecessary. I think I'm learning. Will have to go tomorrow, I think.
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    I can see a few gaps too, want to keep NOT putting anything in until March at least, and a few weeks in to March as well.
    2018 £2285/£2149
    2019 £2000=£1445-£13=£1432-£31=£1401-£32=£1369-£4=£1365=£18=£1347
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Feb 19, 10:16 AM
    • 16,658 Posts
    • 142,813 Thanks
    JackieO
    food shopping got this morning I was up with the birds so I thought I would get there early and its now all packed away Only spent £18.90 and more or less stuck to things on a need only basis no more food shopping for me for at least 10-12 days and I have stocked up on fruit and veg as well

frugally onwards chums and using up more bits from the freezer I will clear this darned thing no matter what so I can defrost it

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 9th Feb 19, 5:22 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 8,346 Thanks
    YorksLass
    This morning I had the breadmaker out to make this week's bread quota, although there were some crusts and oddments in the bread bin. Nothing wasted though, as I used these to make up some sage & onion stuffing mix for tomorrow's dinner which will be roast chicken with all the trimmings. Yes, it's rubber chicken week.

Shopping done yesterday and did spend slightly more than intended (£28.40) but I won't need anything else for another week, so not too bad - especially when I know that £12 of that was for 500g butter, a very large block of mature Cheddar cheese that will do us for at least 2 weeks, a chicken, a sizeable ys piece of Wensleydale with cranberries and 4pts milk.

That said, I will be out and about on Tuesday to collect a box of tablets that's owed by the chemist who didn't have the full amount last week and then I shall catch the bus into town for the next batch of birthday cards from my lovely market trader; x4 DGCs, DDiL and a cousin. I'll take my other purse that I use for my treat money in case I see anything I need/fancy. (I know I have to walk past a stall that sells wool .) Then on Thursday it will be the first haircut of the year - not been since a couple of weeks before Xmas so it's much needed to keep it in shape.

Hm fakeaway prawn curry and rice tonight that I'll be looking forward to. It's just as good as a real takeaway but costs far, far less.

I haven't done a meal plan for the coming week yet but I have a pretty good idea of what it will look like anyway. What I really want to do is to somehow incorporate all the little odds and ends from the freezer into the plan. Oh, I do like a challenge.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Mar: £0/£132 and 0/28 NSDs
    2019 to date: £57.81 under budget (2018: £172.45 under budget)

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Feb 19, 5:51 PM
    • 6,087 Posts
    • 44,902 Thanks
    joedenise
    I made a chicken dhansak curry & rice tonight using some chicken thighs from the freezer; think there's only another couple of packs left in there now. Will have to buy a chicken, probably in a couple of weeks time as it's about time we had a rubber chicken week! Makes it such a good value week of meals and uses up bits and pieces from the cupboards.

Denise
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 9th Feb 19, 7:44 PM
    • 797 Posts
    • 4,428 Thanks
    Brambling
    Slight 'blond' moment this morning during my freezer rummage for a small gammon joint I took out a larger pork joint, it had started to defrost by the time I realised, so although it freed up a bigger space in the freezer I will be eating it for days and my planned pea and ham soup will need to be rethought for lunches. It won't be wasted but my menu plan will need to be revised
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 10th Feb 19, 6:27 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Massive gain for us this week. We got a £60 gift card for john lewis/waitrose from OH's work as a wedding present. As we have everything we need that we could buy in john lewis we thought it would be put to better use at waitrose. Thought I would have a look online to make a shopping list to go to the nearest store. They had an offer code for £20 off a £80 spend for new customers so have made a massive order of over £80 which has set us back a whopping £3.12!!! Won't need to go shopping for groceries for the foreseeable future!
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 10th Feb 19, 9:22 PM
    • 797 Posts
    • 4,428 Thanks
    Brambling
    I decided to ring the changes today with the veg for my roast pork dinner and take the opportunity to use up the odds and ends in the fridge, I live alone but like to keep a good selection of fresh vegetables in and root vegetables have a good live span.

I made a root veg mash from swede, carrot, turnip, parsnip and celeriac and plenty of black pepper. Using some lurking lettuce and spring onions I made braised peas and lettuce. And finally to use some bendy celery I oven braised it with stock, onion, garlic and thyme, I took a small portion of celery to eat with my dinner the rest I blended to make soup which I'll have for lunch Tuesday.

There's enough LOs to have another roast dinner tomorrow
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th Feb 19, 5:07 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 8,346 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Yesterday's roast chicken dinner was very tasty and I used my new air fryer to make roast potatoes. Definitely a success and ridiculously easy.

Pudding was the last bit of strawberry ice cream from the freezer, melted and mixed with some plain yogurt and defrosted mixed summer berries folded through. Enough for 2 puddings.

Today I've stripped the chicken and have enough nice slices for a chicken salad and also chunks for a chicken & mushroom pasta bake. The carcass has been boiled for stock that will be turned into 4 portions of chicken noodle soup.

Today we're having liver, bacon & onion casserole. I've made a double quantity so that's half for tonight with mash and spring greens, and the other half will be frozen for a hm ready meal.

Operation "Freezer Odds & Ends" underway:
    Strawberry ice cream
    Mixed summer berries
    Bacon bits from a pack of cooking bacon
    Two tomato puree cubes (added to casserole)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

• milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 12th Feb 19, 5:34 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 14,897 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    YL,
    Love the softened ice cream yogurt and berry dessert idea!! Thanks!

I’m working on clearing out my fridge freezer. Interesting finds going on as I make my way through the bits of this and that I’ve saved. I had frozen the watery juice from a can of mushrooms and used it in minestrone.
    Frozen egg whites, saved from making carbonara with the yolks, went into eggs scrambled with cheese and Mexican chorizo this morning. I made so much, I had to share a few bites with Gypsy dog.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 12-02-2019 at 5:43 AM.
    [Regina Brett]
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Feb 19, 6:15 AM
    • 5,501 Posts
    • 80,711 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Making it my mission to have one thing from the cupboards and one thing from the freezer every day, even if it's just a portion of veg or a herbal tea bag..

Yorks lass, I had a smoothie for my lunch yesterday with some frozen smoothie mix DD bought ages ago and hasn't opened.

I confess I threw a way a box of green tea bags yesterday. They were out of date and unopened. I don't like green tea, and I think DD, who does, has moved on to other things...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 12th Feb 19, 6:02 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 8,346 Thanks
    YorksLass
    milasavesmoney: Gypsy dog sounds like a lucky pup!

VJsmum: Ooo, smoothie - you've given me an idea for 2 frozen bananas that are lurking in the freezer.

Used the chicken stock today for soup (it turned out as chicken & veg rather than noodle); there must have been more than I thought as I've got 6 portions, not 4.

Today's evictions from the freezer were 2 ys wholemeal muffins, split and toasted, with poached egg on one half and beans on the other for brekkie. Two ys squares of balsamic red onion & cheese foccacia also getting the heave-ho to use with tonight's chicken & mushroom pasta to mop up the sauce.

However, not all success though, as a green pepper has been chopped and frozen (still, no waste) and I found some minced garlic in there too. Don't even remember that going in!

• YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 13th Feb 19, 5:08 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 8,346 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I'm definitely on a roll with the freezer turf-outs!

This morning it was 2 ys potato cakes that we had with bacon, tomatoes and a few lo baked beans for breakfast.

Lunchtime saw the demise of crumpets, topped with cheese.

Tonight we're having chicken salad and I've dragged out x4 potato croquettes to add as a "side" so that's another bag emptied.

So far it's all been little bits & bobs (most of them bought ys) so not a lot of room created, but at least it's getting easier to find things!

• milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 14th Feb 19, 2:00 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 14,897 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    I found frozen biscuits (American) with some chunks of ice on them at the bottom of the freezer drawer.
    I rinsed them and baked them in a hot preheated over. They turned out just fine.
    [Regina Brett]
    • Datchet
    • By Datchet 14th Feb 19, 6:24 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Datchet
    Hello folks! I carry a ziplock plastic bag everywhere these days. Yesterday I shocked colleagues in London by taking leftover 'free' sandwiches after the meeting buffet! There's lunch today sorted.
    Also I shocked the buffet carriage staff on LNER by asking for a water refill. They did it but looked incredulous...
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 14th Feb 19, 3:30 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Hello folks! I carry a ziplock plastic bag everywhere these days. Yesterday I shocked colleagues in London by taking leftover 'free' sandwiches after the meeting buffet! There's lunch today sorted.
    Also I shocked the buffet carriage staff on LNER by asking for a water refill. They did it but looked incredulous...
    Originally posted by Datchet
    My husband did this at work a couple of weeks ago and was tucking into one of them when he found a nice long hair so be careful made my feel ill when he told me.
    As a valentines treat I've made DH some homemade fudge with a tin of condensed milk I found in the cupboard. It's about 3 year out of date but he'll never know it's come out quite crumbly but I will keep the crumbs in a tub and they can be used on top of ice cream.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,350Posts Today

5,081Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin