Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,234Posts
    • 32,195Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 357
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Feb 19, 7:41 AM
    • 2,617 Posts
    • 19,131 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I don't have Alexa or anything either, I really don't understand about these type of things.

Or I just don't listen when they are explained.

I've had a cup of chai tea and will have a fruit and almond milk smoothie before I go out to the dentist.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Feb 19, 8:53 AM
    • 794 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    Brambling
    I'm unfamiliar with tablets.... why would you have to take one into the kitchen while cooking? What does a speaker do.... I'm very confused as all these behaviours are alien to me.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I like to listen to music or the radio when I cook and don't want to play loudly from another room, i use my tablet for this I also take the tablet into the kitchen if I'm using a online recipe but there's not a lot of work surface space for that and it can get messy

Hope the tooth ache resolves itself but may be worth checking with a dentist as they have a habit of getting worst after hours or weekends

Wednesday hope your trip to the dentist is only a check up

Farway I have crocus out in the garden not many as the squirrels dug up my bulbs and I gave up I've also I brave daffodil in bud
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Feb 19, 10:34 AM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Sounds as though we might have the same speaker Brambling as I think that is where mine came from.
    I've no need or desire to have Alexa etc. though my sister uses siri on her phone and likes it.
    PN - hope the tooth and boiler trouble get sorted out. I'm back to the dentist tomorrow, I'm not keen on going but needs must.
    Dried peas were steeped overnight and pressure cooked earlier, I'm just finishing a cuppa and then I'll get the veg chopped to so I can get the soup finished. It's a damp, grey & raw day here so a mug of soup at lunch time with my ham & coleslaw sarnie will be welcome.
    I have some pork fillet which I'll bash out to make schnitzel for dinner tonight. I'll probably have it with veg, spuds and peppercorn sauce.

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Feb 19, 11:59 AM
    • 2,617 Posts
    • 19,131 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I bought some marinated olives and a baton from Coop before the dentist and my stomach was rumbling during the appointment. I ate it with some salad when I got in.

I'm still hungry, I have some leftover tomato and sweetcorn pasta in the fridge.

I think I'm going to make curried lentil or chickpea/salsa wraps later. I don't have much food left until Thursday.

Wednesday hope your trip to the dentist is only a check up
    Originally posted by Brambling
    It was just a cleaning so not too bad.
    Japanese Proverb
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Feb 19, 2:02 PM
    • 66,133 Posts
    • 388,443 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I bought some marinated olives and a baton from Coop ....I don't have much food left until Thursday.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Could've bought a cheap loaf and some tins of beans.... they're filling

I'm still waiting for the gas man.... had the final two 4ldi hobnobs for lunch. Starving!!!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Feb 19, 2:03 PM
    • 7,136 Posts
    • 13,265 Thanks
    Farway
    I am very fond of Lidl's black cherry jam and have been known to eat it on ice cream as well as toast, bread, crackers, rice pudding.....
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    Darn, wish I'd known this. I bought the strawb one this morning, but my Ls seems a bit short on choice lately with the new one opening in town

Managed to remember carrots as well, plus gardening stuff now the seeds are in, toms, beetroot & dwarf French beans

PN hope boiler & teeth are both fixed and not a bank buster

Lunch was cheese on toast, with piccalilli

I've taken YS pack of boil in bag kipper fillets out to defrost. BBE was Nov 2017 so probably about due for using and freeing up a corner

I bought 2.5k of YS King Edwards the other day, so I'll have buttery mash with the kippers tonight

Brambling, I gave up with crocus for same reason as you, the few I've got left are are in pot which is not as easy for the squirrels. Noticed 3 daffs out in sheltered spot in my volunteer garden

I've not got Alexa or the like, I expect there is a use for them but none that I can think of unless I spent thousands on fully automated house. Alexa ! pasty, chips & beans, then wash up & make the bed

Edit update, need to get a chop out for tomorrow's dinner
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Feb 19, 2:36 PM
    • 66,133 Posts
    • 388,443 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I remembered a cheese topped roll in the freezer. I figured if I nuke/defrosted that and dabbed some marg on it, that was the sort of food that I could scoff even if the gas man arrived.... and wouldn't create much washing up (just the dish it sits in to defrost + 1 knife).... so I went for it

That was the last of a 4-pack that I think I got "free" as L1dl were giving bread away on Xmas Eve about 5.30pm.

I got the 4ldi Smoked Haddock Fishcake out of the freezer, so that's been defrosting awhile. It's like these but definitely says smoked haddock https://www.aldi.co.uk/haddock-fishcakes/p/052551234037100 - bought months ago with a red sticker on, the other one was scoffed about a month ago.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Feb 19, 3:31 PM
    • 2,617 Posts
    • 19,131 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I forgot I had a few spuds in the fridge so I made potato wedges for lunch.

I will have the leftover pasta later tonight.

Could've bought a cheap loaf and some tins of beans.... they're filling
    I do have beans at home, I just fancied the fresh bread when I walked past. I can't seem to walk past baked bread without being tempted.
    Japanese Proverb
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Feb 19, 5:17 PM
    • 66,133 Posts
    • 388,443 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    The gas man didn't come.... I sat here, kitchen cleared/accessible .... waited. Sat. Waited. Paced. Waited. Looked out the windows. Sat. Waited. Walked outside. Walked back inside. Looked out the windows. Sat. Waited.

Unfortunately .... I remembered I had a minty "aero" .... and ate the whole lot in one sitting. Doing that, I didn't even actually enjoy it.

*sighs*

Still leaving it a bit longer before I write the gas man off for today because, "you never know".... he's a local man, who is the "will pop in later" type - so he could still be popping in on his way home ....
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Feb 19, 5:27 PM
    • 27,303 Posts
    • 115,977 Thanks
    candygirl
    The gas man didn't come.... I sat here, kitchen cleared/accessible .... waited. Sat. Waited. Paced. Waited. Looked out the windows. Sat. Waited. Walked outside. Walked back inside. Looked out the windows. Sat. Waited.

Unfortunately .... I remembered I had a minty "aero" .... and ate the whole lot in one sitting. Doing that, I didn't even actually enjoy it.

*sighs*

Still leaving it a bit longer before I write the gas man off for today because, "you never know".... he's a local man, who is the "will pop in later" type - so he could still be popping in on his way home ....
    Mine's been n finally declared my gas fire dead, after 2 weeks faffing about
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Feb 19, 6:43 PM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Commiserations CG & PN on your gas appliance woes
    Wednesday - like you I find fresh bread irrestible

Farway -My crocuses are up but no sign of any flowers yet, hopefully they'll appear soon. Seed-wise I don't think I need any this year but must get the seed box out and check soon.

Schnitzel has not been prepared as I decided earlier to tidy out a largish chest of drawers. I didn't think it would take very long but of course it took much longer than I thought would! Pork fillet will get frozen and it will be sausages instead as I have a pack in the fridge. I prepped carrot, parsnip & swede for mash earlier while I was doing the soup veg so at least that's done and it will go fine with bangers.
    Pea & ham soup was delicious and should be even better tomorrow after it has had time to "mature". I thoroughly enjoyed my ham and coleslaw sarnie, home cooked ham is so much better than even half-decent bought stuff IMHO. The original joint was on SO and cost me £6 for 1.5kg, half was cut into 4 gammon steaks and the other half left as a joint. For £3 I've got enough ham for 6 decent portions including the portion of bits I popped in the soup plus enough stock for a largeish pot of soup so pretty economical and when I think I'm £1 for 2-3 skinny slices of deli Ayrshire ham there's just no comparison. I must make more of an effort to cook a piece more often . The pot of soup works out at about £1.50 (50p ham, 50p dried peas & 50p veg) plus the cooking costs which would be 25p max including cooking the ham. There's at least 5 portions of soup @ 35p per portion that sounds ok to me as a tin of Tesco Pea & Ham costs 45p

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Feb 19, 7:24 PM
    • 794 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    Brambling
    I would have gone with the olives and crusty bread too Wednesday although bread and me aren't the best of friends anymore I can be led astray by good bread . Hopefully your coeliac test will come back negative as gluten free bread isn't the same

Bad news about the fire Candy im assuming it wasn't the part he told you to buy?

I spent 10 minutes looking for my car keys this morning only to realise after I had walked up and down the path that they were in the pocket of what I was wearing yesterday, it's not the first time and then when I got home tonight I realised that I had left my bedroom light on all day because of it

Caronc I'm glad I copied your idea for Singapore noodles tasty and spicy, LOs of course I know they wouldn't taste so good recycled but I eat late on Wednesday so I don't mind a quick ping meal. Lunch was HM celery soup made from the braised celery, onion and stock I made on Sunday and blended, it's a shame there was just one portion but definitely one I'll do again as with the oven on it was so easy
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Feb 19, 9:08 AM
    • 7,136 Posts
    • 13,265 Thanks
    Farway
    This thread is taking a Flanders & Swann turn, "gas man cometh"
    No hippopotami please

Commiserations CG & PN

I've just had reminder about car insurance, I use comparison sites like a good MSEr, but hate the bother, I've got same due with my leccy as well. At least I've got a car & leccy unlike many in this world

Last night's kippers in bag, I nuked them as per destructions, of course the bag popped, despite not needing piecing, allegedly, and kippery juices sprayed inside of nuker, nicely done as the turntable ensured no part went unsprayed

I knew I should've boiled in bag in a pan, that always works, I should've learnt by now

But the mashed king Edward's were superb, as were the grilled wrinkly toms

Breakfast was slightly kipper whiffy porridge, nuked in my kippery kitchen & eaten in attached kipper flavoured dining room

Not a fish prospective house sellers

Lunch, very likely a fried egg sarnie for convenience, nothing wrong with cheese etc but need a change

Lamb chop out & defrosting, plan is grill that, with boiled baby spuds, carrots & broccoli, serve with butter & mint sauce
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Feb 19, 9:34 AM
    • 66,133 Posts
    • 388,443 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....after 2 weeks faffing about ....
    Originally posted by candygirl
    That's the worst bit isn't it. All we want is somebody to set a time, come at that time, know what they're doing and come to a single conclusion and announce the findings, findings which are 100% accurate. No faffing!

I spent 10 minutes looking for my car keys this morning only to realise after I had walked up and down the path that they were in the pocket of what I was wearing yesterday, it's not the first time and then when I got home tonight I realised that I had left my bedroom light on all day because of it
    I hate that - things you overlook because you're so busy "trying to get it right/find something else".

I spend ages getting the house cleared/clean/tidy for a viewing, lots of little tweaks and movings about of things .... upon returning after one viewing I suddenly realised I'd omitted to hide my fag butt pot from right beside the front door!!! Sooooo angry at myself

.... of course the bag popped, despite not needing piecing, allegedly, and kippery juices sprayed inside of nuker, nicely done as the turntable ensured no part went unsprayed...

Breakfast was slightly kipper whiffy porridge, nuked in my kippery kitchen & eaten in attached kipper flavoured dining room
    Originally posted by Farway
    Bummer... once you've got a bit of a stink in the house ... it can annoy you for 1-3 days until it's gone.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-02-2019 at 9:38 AM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Feb 19, 9:42 AM
    • 66,133 Posts
    • 388,443 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    The gas man cometh.

Really? Well, he will allegedly arrive... later. Didn't dare try to pin him down more than the fact he will be arriving at some point.

Can't leave the house until he's been/gone. It's not that I need to leave the house, it's the fact that I can't do it that puts me on edge. There are magical and mythical things my brain dreams up that I could be doing if only I could leave the house

One important job is to go and buy some cotton ... proper cotton this time. The last 2-pack I grabbed at £land was like fishing line, plastic/see-through ... and a pig to sew with if you're crouching on the floor trying to hem the hanging curtains

Once I have the proper cotton I can hem the curtains quite quickly .... and they need doing as they're longer than the room height, so they've been "dragging" on the floor, which makes it so much harder to "arrange" them correctly for each viewing. Hemming them won't make them aesthetically great while sitting here, but they will make them aesthetically better once I've opened/arranged them to the sides as over-long curtain bottoms "bunch up" horridly.

While going out for cotton .... the food world is my oyster as it's next to 4ldi. OR ... I could just simply use the spuds I've got and do spud/beans/cheese... they do need to be eaten before they sprout.

Also, I'm washing my bra in a bucket .... and I'd have liked to have that rinsed and hanging to dry by now, but as the gas man''s coming I've tucked the bucket away in the downstairs loo for now, until he's gone...
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-02-2019 at 9:48 AM.
    • elona
    • By elona 13th Feb 19, 9:53 AM
    • 11,110 Posts
    • 63,204 Thanks
    elona
    After getting some diced beef and a chicken ready for Sunday last week and not needing to use them I realised they needed cooking by today. A chicken is in the oven and will be cooked by eleven and when cooled I want to chop it up and freeze it so it can be used to make a recipe another time.

The beef with onions and chestnut mushrooms is in a cast iron pot on the hob and will go in the oven when the chicken is taken out. Once cooled I want to freeze it and use it for a beef and mushroom pie.

I still have mashed potato (substitute as I cook my own usually) and green beans so might portion that up and freeze some so it can be used for a family lunch later.

Also got a substitution of a stew pack which will keep instead of a ready prepared cut up stew veg up so could use that tomorrow and make a stew with some frozen lamb.

Not had any breakfast yet as had to go to sorting office to pick up a parcel so thinking of using up the last rashers of bacon with a couple of eggs and a piece of toast as a brunch.

I think I may have killed my pressure king pro so going to arrange to get it looked at so see if it can be fixed. The six litre one is out of stock but amazon have the five litre one at a tenner cheaper than the official site so worth considering if the warranty is out of date.

Going to have a look at the prepping thread so hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Feb 19, 11:55 AM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Farway re the exploding kippers, they are such a lingering smell. I once over nuked a mug of cullen skink which went everywhere. The whiff seemed to last for ages despite cleaning the microwave with lemon & bicarb!
    I was back at the dentist earlier for x-rays. The area where the abscess was is still quite inflamed but my teeth are all sound. She thinks it will settle by itself but wants to wait until next week before replacing a filling and doing a scale & polish to avoid potentially flaring it up.

As I'm not dealing with a numb mouth today lunch will be soup and a ham & coleslaw sarnie. I'm not sure about dinner tonight, I have root veg mash spare from yesterday so might do something with that or might freeze it and make a pasta dish.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Feb 19, 12:38 PM
    • 66,133 Posts
    • 388,443 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    The gas man came and went.... something's failing and it's so expensive he's gone away to get me a quote

My inner gummy bits on one side are still "sore/tender", it's not going away ... so maybe I've got some abscess thing or something to worry about. Putting it out of my head for the moment.... currently only worrying about the boiler/what to do/how much he'll say it'll be.

Food .... head's all over the place really, can't think straight with these other things filling my head. I fancy a sausage roll though. I might change sausage rolls.... instead of fresh/chilled in a 6-pack, I might try the 4-pack frozen ones from 4ldi as I've heard they're good/OK... but they do take longer to cook than one I simply re-heat.... decisions, decisions. Not good at those, so maybe I'll just buy chilled today.

Who knows.... not me.

While out ... I have to get cotton .... bags of chocolates are sold in that shop too, so I feel a bag of chocolates will come home with me.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Feb 19, 1:28 PM
    • 7,136 Posts
    • 13,265 Thanks
    Farway
    Oh dear PN, boiler parts don't come cheap, my printed board went, that was gaspingly expensive, that plus labour. The replacement was upgraded version, so IMO the original design was flawed. Bit like Windows 8 I guess

Lunch egg sarnie as planned

Sun's out & nicely warm out, did spot of gardening, nothing fancy, clearing buddlia cuttings and trimming back a thorny blackberry

I've yet to prep the veg for tonight

Got waylaid in family history, currently fighting the Battle of Tel el Kibir in 1882 with my GG uncle, I've one of his letters written just after the battle. No wonder he was missing from the 1881 census
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Feb 19, 1:32 PM
    • 2,617 Posts
    • 19,131 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had cereal for breakfast and sandwiches and crisps for lunch. I felt very hungry today!

Mine's been n finally declared my gas fire dead, after 2 weeks faffing about
    Originally posted by candygirl

Wednesday - like you I find fresh bread irrestible
    Originally posted by caronc
    Mmm, the smell of bread is gorgeous as well as the smell of chips and vinegar. I do love my carbs!

I would have gone with the olives and crusty bread too Wednesday although bread and me aren't the best of friends anymore I can be led astray by good bread . Hopefully your coeliac test will come back negative as gluten free bread isn't the same
    Actually I might call up and see if the results are in. ETA, not back yet!
    Japanese Proverb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,375Posts Today

5,089Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin