Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 7:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from tinting your hair with cabbage to a heap of uses for rhubarb leaves.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven’t already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 16-11-2017 at 1:46 PM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 2
  • babybug
    OK, not sure if I posted this on the old thread, but it would have been a long time ago so maybe someone else can get the benefit ...

I adore Dr Pepper, but can't usually afford it. I discovered that if you add almond extract to a bottle of (cheap) cola, you get the same taste
    Nobody I'd rather be
  • Puzzledbubbles
    Well, i read lots on the old thread, but this time i have a tip to share

We have a dripping tap in the kitchen (which is on the list of things to be fixed) but at the moment is not possible, so we have the indoor watering can underneath the tap it catches all of the drips and means that we have a constant reminder to use the water
    • sparrer
    • By sparrer 27th Apr 10, 1:49 PM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 53,686 Thanks
    sparrer
    Well, i read lots on the old thread, but this time i have a tip to share

We have a dripping tap in the kitchen (which is on the list of things to be fixed) but at the moment is not possible, so we have the indoor watering can underneath the tap it catches all of the drips and means that we have a constant reminder to use the water
    Originally posted by Puzzledbubbles
    Thank you ...I've just taken the dishcloth out of the sink, where it was stopping the Chinese water torture noise, and put the watering can under the dripping tap til I can afford to get a plumber to repair it. It's so simple it never occurred to me
  • The Thrilla
    Many of us suffer from bachelor(ette) syndrome and have an empty fridge. Unfortunately, empty fridges use more electricity. You open the fridge to get the milk out for a cup of tea, and that raises the temperature of the air inside, so the motor starts up again until the thermostat switches it off. The solution is to reduce the amount of air in the fridge. That is easy. You replace the air with something that takes longer to heat up. What I did was gather together all the empty bottles I could, fill them up with water, and put them in the fridge. I also bought a load of cut-price bread from the supermarket and bulked out the freezer with it. I was delighted with the results. The electricity company was not.

Another thing I have started doing is to take these plastic net bags that vegetable and fruit come in, cut off the labels and the metal bits, tie a knot or two in what's left, and you have a small scouring pad to wash the dishes with.

Rigor mortis is setting into my fists.
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 29th Apr 10, 9:45 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 23,816 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    If I ladder a pair of tights I cut up the legs into bands to use in my hair or for tying back plants in the garden. The waistband I cut off and use as an alice band for keeping my fringe out of my face whilst cleansing it. The rest I shred and use to help plump up cushions or save for filling for a draft excluder.
    CC2 = 8687.86 (10000 )CC1 = 0 (9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =5.80 vs spent 1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • pws52
    • By pws52 30th Apr 10, 5:54 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    pws52
    I am a loose leaf tea user and I have found that if I mix a packet of Yorkshire Tea with a packet of supermarket own brand the taste is fine and I save a bit of money.

I have also downsized my tea pot...my old pot held 4 mugs of tea which used 3 teaspoons of my mix. I now have a smaller tea pot which hold 2 mugsful and uses 1.5 teaspoons of tea...but I still boil enough water for 4 mugs and when I have poured out 2 mugs I top up the pot with the remaining water from the kettle thus reducing my tealeaf usage by 50%!
    • Ladyhawk
    • By Ladyhawk 30th Apr 10, 6:13 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 13,467 Thanks
    Ladyhawk
    I only go to she hopping centre in town on Sundays... so I can park in the street for free. It also stops me from popping in to browse on other days.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 30th Apr 10, 6:26 PM
    • 9,463 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    As the picnic season is almost upon us ( ! ) freeze cartons of drink to use in cool boxes or bags instead of buying blocks. You then have a lovely cold drink to go with the picnic. Could use for packed lunches as well.
    Originally posted by kerleytops

I do this, but I don't use the cartons. I buy a four-pack of cheap water which I drink. Then I was in the bottles in very hot water. I'll re-use each bottle 4 times (with Hi-Juice) before they go into the plastic recycle bin. That way I'm not just binning something.
    I was away on holiday recently and it upset me a bit that I couldn't re-use my bottles and had to bin them .

Another sneaky thing I do is do the salad sandwiches for work without the ham/chicken on. That way I not only save money but I save calories too

Oh, if you have cheese sarnies, shave the cheese with the veg peeler, it goes much further.
    Barney is my border collie.
  • exlibris
    If I ladder a pair of tights I cut up the legs into bands to use in my hair or for tying back plants in the garden. The waistband I cut off and use as an alice band for keeping my fringe out of my face whilst cleansing it. The rest I shred and use to help plump up cushions or save for filling for a draft excluder.
    Originally posted by unixgirluk
    Before they get too bad, I save them and wear them under trousers!
    • Jacey53
    • By Jacey53 1st May 10, 8:39 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Jacey53
    I make up a month's sandwiches for work at the start of every month and freeze them (basic ham or similar). I rinse and re-use the plastic sandwich bags. I also make up a salad and a fruit salad on Sunday evening for the week ahead. This means that i just grab and go in the morning - so i save on expensive work lunches even if i'm up late. (ps - sometimes my fruit salad is just a combination of a few tinned fruits - pears/peaches etc bought when they are on offer).
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 1st May 10, 10:06 AM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 4,648 Thanks
    northwest1965
    I make up a month's sandwiches for work at the start of every month and freeze them (basic ham or similar)..
    Originally posted by Jacey53
    I've never done this Jacey, do they ever become soggy when defrosted?
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 1st May 10, 11:42 AM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 7,324 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    this may help someone else
    this year i started to use the launderette to dry my washing as i was having condensation problems
    i do 2 loads of washing then take it to dry. it cost aprox 1.60 to dry 2 loads
    as soon as the weather improved i stopped,
    i have saved an old honey jar and put it upstairs and each week i have been putting 3 or 4 20p's in it
    this should spread the cost
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 1st May 10, 1:26 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 23,816 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    this may help someone else
    this year i started to use the launderette to dry my washing as i was having condensation problems
    i do 2 loads of washing then take it to dry. it cost aprox 1.60 to dry 2 loads
    as soon as the weather improved i stopped,
    i have saved an old honey jar and put it upstairs and each week i have been putting 3 or 4 20p's in it
    this should spread the cost
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    To help with the condensation problem, save butter or marg tubs and buy Value/Basics salt and half fill. Then put the lid on and pierce holes in it. This will attract moisture and help reduce your condensation problem. Especially if you only have a few light things to dry.
    CC2 = 8687.86 (10000 )CC1 = 0 (9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =5.80 vs spent 1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • BitterAndTwisted
    An open window is cheaper than salt
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 1st May 10, 3:47 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,874 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    I hardly ever put the immersion heater on. It goes on on sunday and wednesday afternoon when we all have baths. In between, everyone has a shower if needed, and its possible in our bathroom to use the shower to make a wash in the sink. When we've used the hob for cooking and finished & turned it off etc, we pop a pan of water on it, which just heats up enough water as the ring cools to do the washing up. We used to have the immersion on all the time and have saved so much on electric by doing this, just requires some slight planning!

I use the computer all day, but everytime I walk away from the computer I put it on 'sleep' and turn the modem and screen off.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
    • Jacey53
    • By Jacey53 1st May 10, 5:15 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Jacey53
    I've never done this Jacey, do they ever become soggy when defrosted?
    Originally posted by northwest1965
    Hi - I haven't noticed that they are soggy so far. I just use basic bread, swipe of butter and cheap ham (or the better stuff if it's on offer).

I want to try with cheese and onion (mixed with mayo) but will only try a couple - also chicken and bacon, egg mayo and others.
  • The Thrilla
    Thanks for the new thread Penny, now that's some challenge!
    How about today when I wrapped a bottle of water in a microfibre teatowel before placing in my bag to go out for the day? It kept cool and absorbed any drips. We also had a cloth handy for dirty little hands and faces!
    Originally posted by Eenymeeny
    Thanks for that. What you can also do is put cold drinks in a thermos flask. As they keep hot drinks hot they also keep cold drinks cold. You can even put ice cream in them.

If I make a pot of coffee or tea, I put put what I don't drink in a flask and drink it later. It saves heating it up again in the microwave.
    Last edited by The Thrilla; 01-05-2010 at 6:07 PM. Reason: I forgot something.
    • lauren_1
    • By lauren_1 1st May 10, 6:38 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    lauren_1
    Im a punk, laddered tights and ripped jeans still get worn. the more holes the better!

I dont use washing up liquid or washing powder, stardops does both, put in a pump bottle and use 2 squirts for dishes and an egg cup full for laundry.

I Dont iron.

I stopped using the hoover months ago and the carpets a good sweep every 3 days, gives me a workout! there is 8 rooms plus hallways.

I make my own beauty products

I use a empty spray bottle with stardrops and water for cleaning the kitchen surfaces and cooker top, bleach once a week
    • crusty toenail
    • By crusty toenail 1st May 10, 7:41 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    crusty toenail
    If you like the taste of pepsi max but not the price I have discovered a much cheaper and nicer alternative - Freeway diet Cola from Lidl tastes even better that pepsi max and was only 39p per 2 litre bottle last time I was in!!!
    Groceries challenge
    May - 70 so far

• mummyfrugal
    • By mummyfrugal 2nd May 10, 7:11 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 5,882 Thanks
    mummyfrugal
    Hi I only do a deep clean vacuum once a week, but I have a carpet sweeper (like the traditional ewbank), its great for getting up the crumbs and even the cat hairs off the carpet. I plunged for one of these from argos (had a voucher to use up) and have never regretted it, im sure its paid for itself already in un-used electric (and wear and tear on the expensive vac) and is a lighter workout than a dustpan and brush! sometimes the old ideas are the best.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,411Posts Today

5,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin