Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 8:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from tinting your hair with cabbage to a heap of uses for rhubarb leaves.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven’t already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-11-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 125
    • evuka
    • By evuka 10th Feb 19, 1:26 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    evuka
    Where do you buy Castile soap bars? I've only seen the liquid form.
    SwagBucks
    Make £10 a day challenge need to join again
    Sell 100 items 11/100
    GC: Jan 175.07/100
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018 £823.65/£8,965.88
    NSD: Jan 5/15 Feb 7/15
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 10th Feb 19, 4:02 PM
    • 714 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    t14cy t
    just did a reduced goodies shop, oh my word!! £37 of shopping and paid £4.50!! best bargain of the haul was £6 of lamb chops for 20p!! never have lamb as usually so expensive but looking forward to them! this was in morrisons at 2pm today.
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 10th Feb 19, 4:08 PM
    • 714 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    t14cy t
    DD has 5 children. eldest 3 needed wellies. £15 plus each said DD. wowsers said I. 3 pairs wellies, pair boots, pair of plimsolls and pair of flipflops, second hand from ebay including postage, £23.50. 3 happy GC!! xx
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Feb 19, 5:56 PM
    • 7,766 Posts
    • 52,842 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Good morning All.

Just thought Iíd give the thread a ďbumpĒ with a tip that I donít think Iíve shared before. Itís about baked beans. One of the grumbles Iíve heard is that cheap baked beans are more liquid, with more sauce and fewer beans.

That may be true, but I refuse to buy premium, branded beans. Instead, I drain the top layer of liquid into a container that I keep in the door of the freezer. When thatís full - after 5 or 6 tins of beans - Iíll use it instead of a tin of tomatoes in any recipe that requires one.

I also spice up the baked beans with a splash of Worcestershire Sauce and a drop or two of Tabasco. (Yum!). Never hear anything but compliments for my baked beans.

- Pip

PS: Lidlís Simply Beans are 22p a can. Cheapest Iíve found.
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    I can't stand H***z beans for the reason there isn't enough juice, I find them stodgy. Personal preference is Branston but since they stopped doing 4 for £1 I buy lidl or aldi cheap ones.

I do also sometimes add a splash of lea and Perrins too, it was something I started at uni when they still made 'Sprinkle and Spice' - yummy.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 10th Feb 19, 11:36 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,675 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    WeegieWumman can this be used like Febreze in a spray bottle on furniture do you think? Or would it ruin the fabric on the sofa and chairs?
    Originally posted by sunset gold
    I personally wouldn't put anything containing FABRIC SOFTENER on any material that I couldn't put into in the washing machine.
    • ElizabethB
    • By ElizabethB 12th Feb 19, 10:34 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    ElizabethB
    Sharpen knives without buying anything extra.

I love this thread but have never had anything to contribute. But yesterday I saw an amazing tip, tried it, and it really works. To sharpen knives take a mug and turn it upside down, you’ll see a ring of unglazed ceramic. Draw the knife almost flat (parallel) along it, so the edge of the knife is sliding along the unglazed ring. Flip the knife over and repeat on other side. Wash/wipe. And voila! I went from having a knife that couldn’t cut through onions to slicing through in seconds. Note the knife does leave grey marks on the bottom of the mug, so don’t use your favourite!

Thanks to everyone who’s contributed to this thread, I’ve learnt and saved so much over the years.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 15th Feb 19, 9:48 PM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 9,725 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Ran a course a work the other week. On this course lunch is provided. So I took a packed lunch box with me and once everyone had their fill, I packed up three rounds of sandwiches, some crisps and cake for my hubby's tea. The rest of the sandwiches/ food then went off for other people to much before it went off. I also took the unopened bottled water and orange juice and took it back to work to use on another day. (We pay caterers on this day so, I wasn't going to leave the stuff behind - for what we had paid for).
    Another course I ran, I took the remaining biscuits back to the office plus hubby enjoyed a pack.
    £2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82 £50
    2019 - A clutter free life (40)
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 15th Feb 19, 9:56 PM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 9,725 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I find forward planning helps to save pennies. Went to a friend's funeral today. Saw my sister (who lives over 150 mile away) and gave her, her hubby's, my BIL birthday present and card. His birthday is in four weeks time. He will get his present on his b.day and we have saved postage. (Not that I would post the present, only the card and the present he would have received when I next see them).
    Some of my friend's received their Xmas cards at the beginning of November, with do not open till December 1st on it. It savers quite a few pennies in postage.
    £2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82 £50
    2019 - A clutter free life (40)
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 16th Feb 19, 6:55 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 8,146 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Some of my friend's received their Xmas cards at the beginning of November, with do not open till December 1st on it. It savers quite a few pennies in postage.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    Delurking to say I have a note on my calendar to remind me to buy postage stamps in March before the price goes up in April. Might only be pennies saved but they're MY pennies.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!
    Feb £152 - £20 bulk fund - £58.65 = £73.35 in budget and 9/28 NSD
    2019 to date: £9.27 under budget (2018: £172.45 under budget)

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Feb 19, 8:35 PM
    • 27,872 Posts
    • 59,341 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Delurking to say I have a note on my calendar to remind me to buy postage stamps in March before the price goes up in April. Might only be pennies saved but they're MY pennies.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Same goes for the prescription pre-payment certificate, for those that need it.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 17th Feb 19, 8:52 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 7,213 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Need stamps next week as 3 b`days left in Feb, will buy extras, thanks YorksLass.
    2018 £2285/£2149 2019 £2000=£1823
    FEB £1823-£8=£1815-£6=£1809-£16=£1793-£8=£1785-£7=£1778-£18=£1760-£18=£1742
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 17th Feb 19, 9:26 AM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 29,992 Thanks
    Primrose
    I hadn,t realised the price of postage stamps was increasing again in April. I,ve completely missed that and haven't been able to find any official advice on it. Can somebody please give me a link to the Royal Mail announcement on the specifics. Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,831Posts Today

7,601Users online

Martin's Twitter