Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    • 1,433Posts
    • 17,061Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 6:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread
Page 52
    • never too old
    • By never too old 11th Feb 19, 1:54 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 30,604 Thanks
    never too old
    Afternoon all

Hope everyone is well
    hopefully this afternoon i will be 1 vacuum cleaner less.I put it on fb for free as it works but quite old and i have a new one
    Sold my dining room table and chairs and that should be going today and tomorrow ready for when i get my new to me table and chairs from dd which will free up lots of floor space in my lounge/dinning room.

It surprises me how much stuff i have parted with and not actually missed,
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£617.86/£2019
    0%/100%
    • chupachups4
    • By chupachups4 11th Feb 19, 3:23 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    chupachups4
    195: another filofax sold, 65 euros in the travel pot , bouhhhhh
    196-197: 2 other items sold, 7 euros in the travel pot
    flights saving pot: 12000€/12000€
    shipping busy bus: 1204 euros/20000 euros
    declutter: 385/2019
    52 weeks challenge: 258 euros/1378 euros
    sales: jan: 306euros/300 euros; feb: 507 euros/300euros
    • Beshki
    • By Beshki 11th Feb 19, 4:16 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    Beshki
    MrsSD, Thanks for that. I did wonder if the tip would be able to take them. I shall take them down next time I go.

Loads out today, huge bag of coats back to the shop as OH’s Mum had tried them on and decided on which one she wanted to keep for her B’day. And towels, dog coats, a bale of hay and a box of charity leaflets donated to an animal charity. They have been gathered up cluttering the place for weeks, so glad they are gone!

Have started a new charity bag but not enough in it yet to make it worth the trip..
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Feb 19, 4:46 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 16,274 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Whoo Hoo ! 2 cs bags collected . I even managed to get 3 bags into the 2 and I couldn't shoe horn anything else in.... but I did try . They were quite heavy too and I felt sorry for the collection man but they had gone by the time I woke up . Only a medium to large suitcase full of clothing to get rid of now. Probably won't be able to do much decluttering this week as we have a busy week ahead, including some food shopping and oncology appointments for DH.
    Keep up the good work all even, if it's only baby steps it's all good
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • choille
    • By choille 11th Feb 19, 6:19 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 29,864 Thanks
    choille
    3 items sold and posted but just small items.

Envelope recycled by reusing it for a letter I've written. I do like reusing stuff but that is why I have so much clutter I suppose.

Loads of stuff into recycling and some bulbs planted that should have been done ages ago but in the ground now & out of the shed.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 11th Feb 19, 9:03 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 47,156 Thanks
    Barny1979
    Not sure if classed as decluttering
    29. More wallpaper stripped
    30. Tree cut back
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    31. More wallpaper stripped tonight
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £200/£1809
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Feb 19, 9:31 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 17,061 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Had a wonderful lunch - good food, good company, excellent music (which was not too loud) & a really wonderful restaurant - Big Easy in Canary Wharf. DH & I will be going again might even take my DSis

Round 5 of cheerleading

ailz95 and welcome aboard the ‘Decluttering Bandwagon’ We love to have new people aboard & you have taken the first step you have posted on the Decluttering Thread Sorry that you are suffering ill health but beavering away is the right approach - little & often. You have my admiration for moving into MiL’s house to take care of her. Merging two households into one is definitely not my idea of fun times I am surprised you are still sane So sorry to hear the news of your mother’s passing - it must be a comfort to you that you were with her.
    You have done very well on the decluttering front - you are now also a member of the ‘We Love Lists Club’ There are a lot of us who love our lists

DD265, congratulations on moving & sounds like you are fully sorted especially if you have a garage full of cardboard boxes

choille - wiggle away it is working for you Decluttering + earning pennies Size is not important as long items are going out

GreenQueen, sorry about your dad - hope the funeral goes as well as these things can. An eclectic mix - spice jars & coat rack Surprising how much stuff we put in coat pockets

aimeemum, - Thank you Not finding the paperwork you wanted means you will carry on decluttering paperwork I do like the idea of a ‘clutter box’ for those items that do not yet have a place or need a decision The only trouble is my clutter Box would have to be the size of a room

Well Done Happy Kitties shame about the exploding, overweight parcel will you be splitting the contents into two parcels & decluttering even more packaging

chupachups4, that is a lot of items decluttered & lots of pennies in the pot - Well Done & even more pennies in the pot plus you are almost through the 200 barrier

Fire Fox, procrastinate away you seem to do lots of work when you procrastinate
    ‘The Great War on Possessions of 2006’ - nosey c*w that I am, please tell us more Sounds like you are a decluttering professional

Deni-debt free dreamer, a very productive weekend - reclaiming 2 spaces/rooms for their intended use . You must be soooo happy

White_musk, can you get a larger bin You are doing really well .

never too old, Shame you aren’t weighing Table & chairs must weigh loads Really pleased that you are not missing stuff that you have decluttered I do love floor space it makes it sooo much easier to vacuum

Beshki, It is all very well decluttering into piles/boxes/bags but the relief of getting the stuff out of the house . Well Done

Nannywindows, don’t you just love it when a plan comes together three bags of stuff crammed into two bags - I like it a lot

Barny1979, Well Done Are you painting or re wallpapering?

251 DSis has decluttered a box to send a parcel to her son in France.

Well done everyone - a lot of decluttering over the weekend

MrsSD
    251/2019
    • DD265
    • By DD265 11th Feb 19, 10:02 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 4,127 Thanks
    DD265
    aliz95 I'm sorry about your Mum

We sorted out the recycling bin earlier, not trusting that the sellers had left it as exclusively recycling (and it wasn't). Sorting it out also made room for our recycling though! Collection tomorrow, I'd like to give it a good scrub but that might have to wait.

Behind the bin we found the interior panel of a car door - any idea how the heck to get rid of it? Council website (Bolsover) says tip is restricted to tyres.
    Credit Cards 2019 - £1300/£8000 paid off - 16.25%
    1% Mortgage Over Payment 2019 - 0/£1500 - 0%
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Feb 19, 6:59 AM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 18,371 Thanks
    villagelife
    Quick post

220 a shampoo sample used up and binned.

Only small but something out of the house.
    Finding space for DS1 stuff. He is being good and putting the easy stuff away so far!;
    • -taff
    • By -taff 12th Feb 19, 8:11 AM
    • 9,360 Posts
    • 10,750 Thanks
    -taff
    Behind the bin we found the interior panel of a car door - any idea how the heck to get rid of it? Council website (Bolsover) says tip is restricted to tyres.
    Originally posted by DD265

One of the recycling centers will take it
    http://www.bolsover.gov.uk/index.php/resident/waste-/-recycling
    • janejamie
    • By janejamie 12th Feb 19, 9:55 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 2,422 Thanks
    janejamie
    Morning all,

Returning to declutter after a week of holiday and another week dealing with everything that went wrong in my absence!

Aliz95 sorry to hear of your loss; sending you strength for the days to come.

Does anyone know where you are supposed to dispose of sharp kitchen knives? I’ve had four sat on the side to declutter to somewhere, but not sure where?
    Originally posted by Beshki
    I wrap mine up together, blades in cardboard sleeves and sticky tape, and they take them at the charity shop. I think they said they pass them on for house starter packs.

Now to decide which part of this untidy cluttered house to start with this morning! Have decluttered a grapefruit and porridge so should be good to go all morning!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Feb 19, 10:57 AM
    • 788 Posts
    • 6,461 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    *120 brand new laptop case DD had. We tried it on the bay of e before Christmas but no interest so DD wanted it to go to favourite charity.

Sorted out overweight exploding parcel, 2 items had to be taken out but it does mean and I can sort and send another parcel of stuff.

So a new non exploding underweight parcel was sent this morning containing laptop case and more neutral items.

Neutral items sent =12

Kitchen looks better now parcels have gone and spare room is looking better for neutral items being shipped out.
    Happy days
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • Elise1912
    • By Elise1912 12th Feb 19, 11:01 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Elise1912
    I get so anxious when I see cupboards full of absolute rubbish! My husband hates clearing out and would hoard for the rest of his life! I have two small children and the house seems to overflow with their clothes, toys and craft projects! Full steam ahead for a February 2019 clear out!...
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 12th Feb 19, 11:05 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    White_musk
    I get so anxious when I see cupboards full of absolute rubbish! My husband hates clearing out and would hoard for the rest of his life! I have two small children and the house seems to overflow with their clothes, toys and craft projects! Full steam ahead for a February 2019 clear out!...
    Originally posted by Elise1912
    My DD was like this with my DGD's clothes until I saw a program about clothing banks for babies and children. They are sometimes attached to food banks but I'm sure the school nurse or health visitor would be able to tell you about a scheme in your area.

It made parting with clothing so much easier as you know people who really need the clothing will get it free and it helps little wee ones.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 12th Feb 19, 12:20 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    whmf00001
    My thoughts are with all who have suffered losses recently. Am having a busy couple of weeks out of house but am working myself up to a shredding session, big deal as the shredding box seems to fill up so quickly and then its a faff to put in a big bag etc etc but need to be done. My main reason for trying to de-clutter is that I an thinking (only been thinking for a couple of years or so) of selling and buying/moving to an old persons flat/complex, maybe in the next couple of years as climbing the stairs is getting a bit of a chore. But I have a 3 bed house with furniture etc, no idea what to do with everything, too much for a flat. Not really looking forward to the whole thing, sort of hoping that everything will "see me out". I am not depressed about anything, just big cant be bothered but ought to be. Ah well, makes dd happy that I am thinking of moving. Onward and upward.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Feb 19, 12:36 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 16,274 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Not much to be done today as this afternoon we are going to get DH's oncology injection done and there's always some sort of a problem. But gone in the bin today - 1 pair of broken slippers. Only a baby step taken but in the right direction.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 12th Feb 19, 1:15 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Been to the tip at lunchtime with 2 large bin bags following the declutter session at the weekend; put 2 pairs of shoes in the shoe collection & a broken waste paper bin & broken aerial lead was tipped too. Managed to find a spare bin in the garage of doom so no need to buy a new one!! Keep going everyone Dx
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    CC1 = £5566.28/5776.28 CC2 = £3720.77/£3820.77

£2 savers club 33
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 12th Feb 19, 2:23 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,843 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Hello everyone

MadamMim - sending hugs xx

ailz - sorry for your loss xx

Not had a good week, DS went into hospital on Friday for croup and yet another ear infection, I keep getting panic attacks and my mental health isn't the best at the moment and to top it all of I now have a chest infection! So I haven't really been doing much decluttering!

Although today I did do some bits I really needed to do on my to-do list so I could say I decluttered that?

Will try and get back to it when I'm feeling better.

C xx
    Read my diaryHere
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 12th Feb 19, 3:27 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 9,268 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Hello everyone

MadamMim - sending hugs xx

ailz - sorry for your loss xx

Not had a good week, DS went into hospital on Friday for croup and yet another ear infection, I keep getting panic attacks and my mental health isn't the best at the moment and to top it all of I now have a chest infection! So I haven't really been doing much decluttering!

Although today I did do some bits I really needed to do on my to-do list so I could say I decluttered that?

Will try and get back to it when I'm feeling better.

C xx
    Originally posted by chocolatelover93
    Bless you.. sounds to me like you need a hug right back!!
    Try and take some time out for you, a warm bath, snooze when you can, drink plenty..

I empathise about the panic attacks.. mine are not as mean as before & I didn’t do too badly in my DS2’s disciplinary at college this morning, I did cry a lot though so I think they are finally getting the picture, I am world weary...

Sending one more hug for luck..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 1 Feb GC £221.97/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • Uncluttered_unicorn
    • By Uncluttered_unicorn 12th Feb 19, 4:14 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    Uncluttered_unicorn

182 Cracked plate (bin)

No more yarn used = still 4
    Originally posted by Uncluttered_unicorn
    Not much happening here - real life is getting in the way, however even though there's only minor improvement, we are managing to keep on top of things and not let the clutter accumulate any more. Things like dealing with the post and school etc ppw immediately, and being ruthless with packaging is helping to keep the decks clear.

I'm sorry to see that so many posters are going through a difficult time just now - sending sympathy and strength to each of you.

183 - 185 3 clothing items to ragbags
    186 - 189 4 dog toys (bin)
    190 - 191 2 charging cables (broken - electronic recycling)
    192 - 193 2 jamjars to recycling
    194 Community brochure
    195 Packaged and posted a birthday present (a little late )
    196 Decorative metal tin - really tried to find a use for it, but it's a little too deep and not really big enough for anything.

Yarn used - 5 balls

Best wishes to everyone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

5,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @theresa_may: I?m pleased that we are banning all GPs? charges for forms relating to mental health and debt. I?d like to thank @mmhpi fo?

• Currently 52% in favour of self service checkouts, 48% staffed checkouts. I'm not saying a word! https://t.co/T7zzztSAr5

• RT @chihuahuamammy: @MartinSLewis Just rang the Student Loans Company following your show. A refund of £395 for overpayment. Not early reti?

• Follow Martin