Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 29th Dec 18, 4:12 PM
    • 181Posts
    • 1,589Thanks
    dragonlily
    Steps towards zero waste - 2019
    • 29th Dec 18, 4:12 PM
    Steps towards zero waste - 2019 29th Dec 18 at 4:12 PM
    Through 2018 I have been reading a lot about the impact of our waste on the environment. I have made a couple of small changes but seeing our bulging bins at the end of Christmas isn't good! It is a little odd as once you start thinking about excessive packaging you see just how much of it there is everywhere!

I don't think I am going to be able to completely change overnight but every little has got to help, and ironically I think old style ways of living, are well suited to doing this. If anybody else is interested in setting goals to work on reducing waste, buying more consciously and generally being fabulous in 2019 do join in. PS - I did a search for a post about this and couldn't see one, so if I have missed it, lmk and I'll move on over there

x
Page 10
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 8th Feb 19, 9:33 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 2,320 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    I use the Aromoco solid deodorant from Lush and really like it. I bought it last spring so used it all through the hot summer - I'm quite active, dog walking and gardening etc and found that it works fine. In November DH started using it as well and he likes it too: he likes the fact that it doesn't feel wet or sticky, and I like that it doesn't smell of 'male deodorant', ( they all seem to smell the same - powerful and horrible!) We are still using the one I bought last May, so it's really economical too.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 8th Feb 19, 9:50 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 10,460 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    I use the Aromoco solid deodorant from Lush and really like it. I bought it last spring so used it all through the hot summer - I'm quite active, dog walking and gardening etc and found that it works fine. In November DH started using it as well and he likes it too: he likes the fact that it doesn't feel wet or sticky, and I like that it doesn't smell of 'male deodorant', ( they all seem to smell the same - powerful and horrible!) We are still using the one I bought last May, so it's really economical too.
    Originally posted by Nonnadiluca

Wow that's really long lasting I'll have a look at that tomorrow, as my current one is getting low. Will be very money saving if it lasts that long.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Feb 19, 3:01 PM
    • 12,490 Posts
    • 240,504 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've been using Faith in Nature crystal stick deodorant for a few years now. In fact, have only just started the second stick, as the first lasted 37 months! Still have some of it left but it's fallen apart and too fiddly to use, although you can dissolve it in water and use it in a spritzer bottle, apparently, to use every last bit.

As compared to ordinary deodorants, that's a saving of 16 plastic bottles, based on using about 5 per year.

I admit I was sceptical at first, but it's proved very good, even throughout the heatwave we had last year, I wouldn't hestitate to recommend it.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Ilona
    • By Ilona 8th Feb 19, 6:51 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 8,081 Thanks
    Ilona
    I am going to help with a house clearance tomorrow. A skip is ordered and I aim to rescue anything which can be passed on, to anyone who needs it, and to charity shops. I will load stuff into my car before it is thrown in the skip, bring it home, sort it out and find good homes for it. I hate to see anything thrown away which can be used by someone else.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 8th Feb 19, 7:23 PM
    • 8,597 Posts
    • 13,820 Thanks
    jackieblack
    In America you are always given a paper sack/bag to put your groceries in and there is even a young man (normally a student ) to help pack as well I wish as so many things seem to come over the pond from the US this trend would cme
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I certainly havenít seen any paper sacks in US grocery stores for at least the last 15 years, probably more. Unfortunately itís all thin plastic bags exactly the same as here.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Jan £105.26, Feb £103.31,Mar £135.77,
    Apr £50.00

• jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 8th Feb 19, 8:17 PM
    • 8,597 Posts
    • 13,820 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I certainly havenít seen any paper sacks in US grocery stores for at least the last 15 years, probably more. Unfortunately itís all thin plastic bags exactly the same as here.
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Actually, have just remembered getting paper sacks in Trader Joeís and Whole Foods, but plastic bags from everywhere else (Walmart, Target, Publix, Kroger, Piggly Wiggley, Wegmans and many others)
    Last edited by jackieblack; 08-02-2019 at 8:27 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    Jan £105.26, Feb £103.31,Mar £135.77,
    Apr £50.00

• milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 9th Feb 19, 1:16 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 14,897 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    There are paper sacks at the end of the freezer section at Walmart for frozen foods. I use to grab them to use for veggies until I bought washable mesh bags with drawstrings.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Feb 19, 7:25 AM
    • 5,501 Posts
    • 80,711 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I use Salt of the Earth solid crystal salt deodorant. I've had the same one for about 2 years, with years left. It costs about £8 (from memory as I haven't bought one for a while) - from places like holland and barrett. It works fine, although I don't trust it in high pressure situations - if i've a meeting or when I fly (i'm a nervous flyer). I'm sure it'd be fine (i used it through the heatwave) but for my own peace of mind, I don't use it. I tend to save the ends of the 'normal' ones that OH thinks has run out to use them up fully. I buy dove which is fairly neutral smelling.

I have started a carrier bag of plastic wrap - like the stuff around magazines when they get delivered and will take it to the supermarket recycling when it's full - along with the dead batteries that i forget...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 9th Feb 19, 8:01 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    ailz95
    I've been trying to persuade DH that charity shops would like our piles of bubble wrap. I've even asked in shops in front of him and they agree - but he still feels bad about taking it. He's so stubborn at times.

Made some lazy susans for the larder, now we can find things more easily. Dead simple to make 2 plates/dishes - anything round really - of the same size and some marbles.
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
    • SpikyHedgehog
    • By SpikyHedgehog 9th Feb 19, 8:16 AM
    • 999 Posts
    • 10,083 Thanks
    SpikyHedgehog
    Hi, wondering if you have tried the Lush Deodorants and what they are like, do they stop sweating? Is there a particular one anyone would recommend?
    Originally posted by SuiDreams
    I got a deodorant bar for DS2 but he said it was too scratchy so wouldn't use it, and I was using one of their powder ones in the plastic bottle but found I was getting eczema in my armpit which is very uncomfortable! So switched last summer to a coconut oil and lavender oil till I'd got the eczema sorted, then started adding in cornflour and bicarbonate of soda, like the second recipe here: https://wellnessmama.com/1523/natural-deodorant/

The last jar I made, we'd run out of lavender oil, so I used geranium, which smells lovely but is not quite as effective as the lavender jar. I've always needed stronger deodorants, so was not convinced this would work so was very happy to be stink free as well as eczema free

Currently reusing the sandwich bags.... trying to keep the for the week as long as the flavours/aromas are ok....

Still not used any cling film!!!! Yay go me!!! Bought another glass dish with a silicone/plastic lid for storage in the fridge and the saucer on the dish or jug is also working for some sauces..

Iíve wrapped the lunches in Ďwrapping foilí ( who knew there was such a thing!!) so hopefully this can be recycled and Iíve tried baking/grease proof paper too .... trying to find out if this can be recycled ....so along with these the reusable sandwich bags,foil and grease proof paper Iím pretty pleased ....probably do better but babysteps, right?!?
    I too wondered about the foodwraps... I was in Lakeland and was a bit alarmed when they mentioned paraffin and paraffin free. I know it needs to Ďfood grade/stableí but even so I wasnít keen on the thought.

Bit of a fail whilst shopping though as Dd wanted a bottle of water to drink ...on 2 fronts really as I obv bought her one, so there was the plastic issue but weíd been to Insomnia coffee shop where they have jugs of iced water for their customers for no extra charge and she forgot to get a drink then !!!!
    Hope I redeemed myself a little tho , by recycling my carrier bags and polythene wrappers st Mr T ... quite an eye opener how many we had for the week as I donít use carrier bags much as I have my own reusables butb there you go ....
    Cutting down slowly....shower gel is next on my hit list ))
    Originally posted by dollypeeps
    Had coffee in C@fe Nero with DS1 yesterday and remembered to get water there because I was thinking about what you said dollypeeps I noticed they've replaced their paper cups for water with glasses.

DS2 was off on a school trip yesterday and comes back today laden with sleeping bag, muddy clothes, filthy trainers, etc. I didn't bother with a bin liner for dirty clothes as I've packed in the past, as the luggage bag he had is washable. I know it's washable, as every time the boys have been off to scout camp or school camp, they come back with a bag full of filthy clothes and a nicely folded and untouched bin liner that I'd intended for dirty stuff...!

Usually he has his packed lunch in plastic tubs that we've had for a good few years, but I used a big yoghurt tub with sealable lid for his raisin and apple buns, and a freezer bag from a pack that's been in the drawer for... umm.... 5 years? and reminded him to recycle the yogurt tub if he wasn't bringing it home.

When in the town centre, I remembered to go in an independent coffee shop to buy coffee beans. They have huge glass jars of loose tea and coffee and weigh them on lovely old balance scales before putting in a heavy paper bag. I'd gone straight from work so didn't take a clean tub to ask if they could fill that instead but will next time. You can have drinks and cakes in there but I'd forgotten I wanted to go there until sitting with my hot chocolate in C@fe Ner0
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (23), DS2 (15), and the lurcher, and DS1's leopard geckos.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Feb 19, 7:04 AM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 8,081 Thanks
    Ilona
    I am going to help with a house clearance tomorrow. A skip is ordered and I aim to rescue anything which can be passed on, to anyone who needs it, and to charity shops. I will load stuff into my car before it is thrown in the skip, bring it home, sort it out and find good homes for it. I hate to see anything thrown away which can be used by someone else.

ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    Came back with a full load, (estate with the seats down). Couldn't get it all in. Going back for a second load, clearing the garage out. Next week I will be finding new homes for it all.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • dollypeeps
    • By dollypeeps 10th Feb 19, 8:22 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    dollypeeps
    Yay found me some dish washing brushes .... got a lovely wooden long handled brush and an ‘iron shaped’ scrubbing brush both with bristled from Tiger... £2 each so didn’t break the bank.... we’ll see how these last .... hopefully saves on buying sponges with the plastic scrubbing bit on them ...

In other news i bought a new lamp and bulbs from next..... oh my gosh talking about plastic overkill with the packaging.... the plug had one of those plastic covers over the pins... it was then shrink wrapped plastic covering just the plug which was then wrapped inside a plastic bag!!!!
    The lamp shade itself has cellophane on it ... this was all inside a large cardboard box which was contained in a polythene wrap!!!!
    The bulbs were in a cardboard box with a plastic window and then bulb itself is sat inside a plastic mould!!!!!
    I will be contacting Next regarding the excessive packaging and I haven’t even decided if I’m keeping it yet!!!!!
    mortgage now £2260 as of Apr 2019
    and no other debts

49items decluttered [/B]
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Feb 19, 5:58 AM
    • 12,490 Posts
    • 240,504 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Talk about plastic overkill!

I was lucky when I got a lamp from a chazzer about 400 yards from home - I nipped home and got the wally-trolley (heavy floor lamp) and dragged it home like that.

Was at the parental home yesterday and went into the loft for my mother and retrieved some wool for a knitting project and the needles from another cupboard.

I shall be having a new jumper made from two co-ordinating lots of chazzer-bought wool, knitted from a pattern taken from a magazine many many years ago and with 2nd hand needles in two sizes. We were chortling about 'shopping' her own home for the makings.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 11th Feb 19, 7:47 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 10,460 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    Yay found me some dish washing brushes .... got a lovely wooden long handled brush and an Ďiron shapedí scrubbing brush both with bristled from Tiger... £2 each so didnít break the bank.... weíll see how these last .... hopefully saves on buying sponges with the plastic scrubbing bit on them ...

In other news i bought a new lamp and bulbs from next..... oh my gosh talking about plastic overkill with the packaging.... the plug had one of those plastic covers over the pins... it was then shrink wrapped plastic covering just the plug which was then wrapped inside a plastic bag!!!!
    The lamp shade itself has cellophane on it ... this was all inside a large cardboard box which was contained in a polythene wrap!!!!
    The bulbs were in a cardboard box with a plastic window and then bulb itself is sat inside a plastic mould!!!!!
    I will be contacting Next regarding the excessive packaging and I havenít even decided if Iím keeping it yet!!!!!
    Originally posted by dollypeeps
    That is ridiculous, I've been emailing companies about packaging, unfortunately some don't even bother replying, but am going to keep being persistent.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 11th Feb 19, 8:00 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 10,460 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    Well took the plunge and bought the Lush Aromoco deodorant, so far so good, but only 2nd day of using it. It is slightly scratchy to apply, but hoping that will reduce once it softens up a bit with use, no irritation or skin reactions so far though. I do find the sent quite strong on me though, but am hoping that will fade a bit with time. Keeping the remnants of my old deodorant for travel and nights out or if a reaction occurs and I need to use something else. The block I got was around the same price as my normal deodorant, but looks lie it will last a lot longer.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Feb 19, 11:19 AM
    • 5,879 Posts
    • 27,797 Thanks
    Slinky
    If you know anybody who sells for Forever Living, their stick deodorant is very good and doesn't really smell of anything. Nice and smooth, tends to last me about 8-9 months.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 12th Feb 19, 6:55 AM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 49,481 Thanks
    maryb
    Has anyone used those charcoal sticks you can get for purifying water? I used to use plastic filter jugs but even though the filters can be recycled it still seems a bit wasteful to me - as GQ says, they are downcycled rather than reused.

Am also thinking of getting a Sodastream to save buying plastic bottles of fizzy water which I do like to drink with elderflower cordial instead of buying fizzy drinks. The cordial is still sugary but as I make it myself each spring, I know what goes in it
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 12th Feb 19, 1:58 PM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 60,036 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Maryb we recently got a Sodastream to help OH keep up his fluid intake (I am happy to drink chilled tap water but he isn't). We don't bother with the special concentrates, instead we use cordials. For a litre of fizzy drink, you fill the Sodastream bottle with water to the mark, put it to the machine and once it has been fizzed, add either 200mls standard strength cordial or 100mls double strength. Put the cap on then carefully tilt the sealed bottle to mix. Store in fridge, keeps ok for a few days. We have orange cordial, Vimto and double strength lemon cordial in the cupboard so have a bit of variety. Tesco's double strength Apple and black currant works well too, only a quid a bottle so way cheaper than the concentrates.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 12th Feb 19, 5:54 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 14,897 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Failure this morning. I have just gotten in some new to me heavy duty reusable grocery (or whatever) shopping bags that I didnít tell DH about because Iíve had the flu and am not functioning all that well. He runs my errands and comes home, of course, with plastic grocery bags.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 12th Feb 19, 6:58 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 1,747 Thanks
    ailz95
    Has anyone used those charcoal sticks you can get for purifying water? I used to use plastic filter jugs but even though the filters can be recycled it still seems a bit wasteful to me - as GQ says, they are downcycled rather than reused.

Am also thinking of getting a Sodastream to save buying plastic bottles of fizzy water which I do like to drink with elderflower cordial instead of buying fizzy drinks. The cordial is still sugary but as I make it myself each spring, I know what goes in it
    Originally posted by maryb
    I use the activated charcoal - and very good it is too. I thought about a sodastream, but I drink over 2 litres of water a day and I reckon it would cost a fortune in gas.
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,350Posts Today

5,081Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin