Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Nov 18, 11:14 AM
    • 11,141Posts
    • 75,347Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.
    • 11th Nov 18, 11:14 AM
    Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget. 11th Nov 18 at 11:14 AM
    Can it be done.

Well I have decided I am going to give it a jolly good try.

And I invite you to join me....Please share your tips, experiences, deals, bargains.

For those who don't know me.....a little background.

I am a widow, aged 67. My husband died four years ago after a long illness which wrecked our finances and which changed my financial landscape, hopefully not forever. I am working on it.

At one point I thought I would have to go bankrupt but with the help of Martin Lewis (All Hail) and the collective knowledge, wisdom and support of the lovely people on these boards I pulled myself back from the abyss and am now financially stable.

Not rich but I have "enough".

Now a confession ........although I am very content to live a simple and now thankfully stress free life I do have a penchant for a little luxury.....and .........before I get too old and decrepit, its time for some fun. Time to finally reap the benefit of all my hard work.

I have just moved house. It's a money pit and I love it. Doing up old houses is my idea of fun. I love rescuing old wrecks and turning them into elegant, comfortable homes and then when I sell ........hopefully they end up a profitable investment.

I did well on the last one, which I bankrolled and project managed.i gave all the profits to my son who put in all the sweat equity and hours of back breaking work. I was happy just to break even on that one and give him a leg up.

However .......as we all know "all work and no play makes Jill a very dull girl". So, whilst I am fully committed to making this new house a stunner And hopefully make a nice little profit I want to

a) do it on a tight budget and
    b) not put my life on hold in the process this time.

So......my plan is to live off my income of 12,000 and use some of my capital as my war chest for the renovations and hopefully at some point start up a small sideline business. No idea what yet.

So how to streeeeeetch that 12k, until, in the words of one of our dear chancellors, I think it was Nigel Lawson ....."the pips squeak". How to extract every ounce of luxury and fun.

I am in the process of reviewing my budget. This is always an ongoing process for me. I am constantly refining my budget to make the most of what I have. Sounds a bit anal but I do it at least once a month.

This week I had to change my mobile phone but although I now have to pay an additional 5 per month I am happy with the deal. I also have to take my car in for what I hope will be a minor repair.

My car is getting on a bit and so far has cost me peanuts to run but it's on notice. If it starts getting too expensive then its days are numbered. I can live without a car if I have to, at least as a short term measure. We have good transport links here. I have a free bus pass and a senior railcard. A taxi into the city centre is reasonable.

I have good practical skills, love charity shops, and make most of my own lotions and potions.

What I really need to do is learn now is how to get the fabulous entertainment, hotel and travel deals that I know are out there. As a solo there is often a premium to pay for the privilege of travelling alone......

So now it begins......my quest for a champagne lifestyle......

I am sooooooo worth it. Lol.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 11-11-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Page 44
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 10th Feb 19, 4:19 PM
    • 27,203 Posts
    • 115,159 Thanks
    candygirl
    To add to the joys of Firegate, my heated throw stopped working last night I ordered a new one from Argos this morn, n it arrived at my local Sainsbury's at 3pm.It was 50, so deffo need to be on lemo this week
    Hopefully my fire will be sorted tomoz, watch this space
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 10th Feb 19, 5:30 PM
    • 4,287 Posts
    • 57,715 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Candy girl. Glad you got some good advice on the taking of money from your gas men. Hope its sorted soon
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 10th Feb 19, 9:25 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 9,270 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    To add to the joys of Firegate, my heated throw stopped working last night I ordered a new one from Argos this morn, n it arrived at my local Sainsbury's at 3pm.It was 50, so deffo need to be on lemo this week
    Hopefully my fire will be sorted tomoz, watch this space
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Id be telling the gas peeps that your heated throw should be paid for by them as compensation for them being totally bloomin useless.. bunch of C*ckwombles..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 1 Feb GC 221.97/300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 10th Feb 19, 9:50 PM
    • 27,203 Posts
    • 115,159 Thanks
    candygirl
    Id be telling the gas peeps that your heated throw should be paid for by them as compensation for them being totally bloomin useless.. bunch of C*ckwombles..
    Originally posted by MadamMim2013
    Lol that did cross my mind hun, but there's not much chance of that
    I'd they don't get it sorted tomoz I'm gonna have to sack them off.Never known anything like it

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Feb 19, 12:32 PM
    • 27,203 Posts
    • 115,159 Thanks
    candygirl
    Afternoon all!
    Firegate continues here.They were finally meant to be fitting the part this aft, but have texted saying it hasn't arrivedIt's now 11 days since the first engineer came out.To say I'm livid, is a complete understatement, but have already paid out for the 1st visit n part, so can't afford to start from scratch with someone new
    Feel like a right idiot, but they had good reviews online, so I trusted them
    Hope you're all ok

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 11th Feb 19, 2:46 PM
    • 11,141 Posts
    • 75,347 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Oh Candy......how awful. This is just dragging on and on. It's beyond a joke isn't it. Is there no one higher up the food chain you can talk to. The CEO or whatever.

Well it's a beautiful day here so I'm not sure why I feel low in spirits today (well i do - it was exactly 4.5 years since my husband's death yesterday - hey ho ). Those red letter days are always difficult. And I'm also very tired today so not doing much.

Went shopping this morning. So now I'm resting for a while, sitting in a sunny spot in my dining room, enjoying the sunshine through the glass pretending I'm lazing in a sunny conservatory, looking out on to the garden, picturing how it will look in a few months. I have a great imagination.

Its very pleasant here. I can see some hyacinths poking through and various plants in pots that the previous owner left. No idea what they are, I shall just have to wait and see. It brings new meaning to the term "pot luck".

Mrsmac......how nice to treat yourself to some nice new clothes for your cruise. Where are you off to.
    294-20/make 2019 in 2019
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 19, 7:18 PM
    • 5,089 Posts
    • 31,333 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Been awol as life has been lacking in "champagne moments" budget or otherwise as I was poorly with a mouth/throat abscess. Thankfully antiBs have worked their magic and it's now a case of getting over the collywobbles as the infection well and truly hammered me.
    Did manage a "champagne" moment today re-arranging my garden pots. My mini daffs are flowering and the big ones and a pot of hyacinths aren't that far behind. It is so lovely see the garden begin to grow again. Time to plan what I want bedding plant-wise and check I have all the veg seeds I need, I have a "pot" in my budget that I put money in every month to cover my annual garden spends. Between March & October, gardening, thinking about or enjoying the garden are how I spend most of my time so it was important to me that I know I have funds to enjoy this hobby.
    GC: Jan 105/120, Feb 50/120
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 11th Feb 19, 10:34 PM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 10,421 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Candygirl I feel your pain. How long will this whole saga continue? I hope the end is in sight for you

Carnoc glad to hear that you are over your mouth abscess

My champagne moment today is that I sold another item on eBay
    • Elise1912
    • By Elise1912 12th Feb 19, 10:48 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Elise1912
    Just a thought, you say you like charity shops. With a mannequin and nice camera you can transform some of them and sell on eBay?
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 12th Feb 19, 12:32 PM
    • 11,141 Posts
    • 75,347 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello everyone.....

Lovely to hear about your champagne moments.

I can't stay long, I have a poorly shoulder so can't type much, need to rest it. Apart from that all is good. Went to acupuncture this morning so hopefully my aches and pains will be easier tomorrow.

My big champagne moment ........realising I've lost 8lbs since the New Year. .

Going to celebrate by editing my wardrobe.......
    294-20/make 2019 in 2019
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Feb 19, 1:21 PM
    • 27,203 Posts
    • 115,159 Thanks
    candygirl
    Candygirl I feel your pain. How long will this whole saga continue?
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    They're meant to be coming out, with yet another part this aft. Watch this space
    LL ouch at your poorly shoulder, but we'll done on the weight loss

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 12th Feb 19, 1:35 PM
    • 714 Posts
    • 6,720 Thanks
    t14cy t
    recently finished trialling an under eye cream product, just revealed to be clarins and costs 57 from boots!! much prefer no7 tbh, and sooooo much cheaper!!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 13th Feb 19, 8:19 AM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 10,421 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    My Champagne moments yesterday were going to see 3 films using my Odeon Limitless card.

I went to Odeon Covent Garden to watch the films Can you Ever Forgive Me? and If Beale Street Could Talk.

Then in the evening I went to watch the film A Star Is Born at Streatham Odeon.

Can You Ever Forgive Me? is based on the true story of In this film based on a true story, Melissa McCarthy stars as Lee Israel, a down-on-her-luck biographer who starts forging celebrity letters to make money because even though Lee is an author of some past success, her publisher and agent no longer think her writing is relevant. The thing that really got to me is that this film is far more about what happens to a person when they suffer from extreme loneliness than about the crime of forging famous literary people's personal letters. There is a lot of humour in this film and it gave me lots of laugh out loud moments. I would give this film 9.5/10

If Beale Street Could Talk is this beautifully acted, drama about love, family, and injustice in 1970' America. This is the Love story of Tish and Fonny and how their shared future is tested to the limits when Fonny is falsely accused of rape. Tish's patient, wise mother, Sharon, not only embraces and guides her daughter through an unexpected pregnancy but also travels all the way to Puerto Rico to track down the woman who falsely accused Fonny of rape. Tish's Father and sister are equally supportive as is Fonny's Father but Fonny's Mother and sisters choose not to support the young couple. I would give this film 10/10

A Star Is Born is a tour de force for both Lady Gaga (real name Stefani Germanotta) and Bradley Cooper. It is the beautiful but heartbreaking story of Ally and Jackson and how Jackson spots Ally in an out of the way bar and realising her phenomenal musical talents pushes and supports Ally to make her musical dreams come true. Ally and Jackson fall in love and while Ally becomes a musical star, Jacksons musical career plummets because of his addiction to alcohol and drugs. I would give this film 10/10

All 3 of these films are very thought provoking. All of these films made me laugh and feel close to tears at times. A good film really stays with me.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Feb 19, 12:32 PM
    • 27,203 Posts
    • 115,159 Thanks
    candygirl
    I love A star is born, with Streisand and Kristofferson SUGARBABY , but also want to see the new one
    Well Firegate continues: They brought the new part out yest, n it still won't work After a heated discussion , they finally agreed to scrap 3 hours labour n the final part cost .I'm still a few hundred down, but it could've been a lot worse!Off to source a new fire today

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • jue
    • By jue 13th Feb 19, 1:03 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    jue
    My champagne moment yesterday was having a cuppa, cream bun and a catch up with a friend.
    Today so far its cuddles with my grandchildren :-)..... all the money in the world can't buy these things :-)
    Jue
    • mrsmac10
    • By mrsmac10 13th Feb 19, 2:32 PM
    • 4,287 Posts
    • 57,715 Thanks
    mrsmac10
    Afternoon all

Candy girl Depending on the circumstances would a call to trading standards or CAB be worthwhile regarding the debacle of your fire.

Don't know if its exactly a champagne moment but was at a volunteering course yesterday and they have a list of about 30 isolated/lonely older people looking for a befriender They have 8 volunteers to try and match up to the most in need.

DH took stuff to homeless unit again exceptionally grateful

Both made me thankful for my lot

LL we are off to the Caribbean. Got a sort of redundancy pay-out from previous employer so spending it. Its still Thomson/Tui but looks a fancier ship hence the need for a few 15 dresses

Take care I am off to see my GD who is 10 today
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Feb 19, 2:52 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 17,160 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    My champagne moments were having my treatment at the herbalist which was very relaxing and then walking back through the park as it was very mild weather. I didn't even need a jacket or cardigan, just a light jumper. My new blue jumper.

I'm just having a peaceful day at home for the rest of the day, watching music videos, having a bath and pampering session and cooking dinner later.

Don't know if its exactly a champagne moment but was at a volunteering course yesterday and they have a list of about 30 isolated/lonely older people looking for a befriender They have 8 volunteers to try and match up to the most in need.

DH took stuff to homeless unit again exceptionally grateful

Both made me thankful for my lot
    Originally posted by mrsmac10
    How nice.xxx
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 13th Feb 19, 4:05 PM
    • 11,141 Posts
    • 75,347 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello Everyone.......lots of lovely posts and champagne moments. Thank you for sharing.

Candy......hopefully the fire saga is almost over. You really have been given the runaround.

Well today my champagne moments were spending time with my fabulous youngest son who came for brunch and then set to helping his poor old decrepit mum......moi..... tackling some of the pesky irritating little jobs that I seem to struggle with these days.

He's such a sweetheart, I'm so proud of him. And yes, he's the one who was a real Kevin back in the day. . Just goes to show, the loveable rogues are often the best. Just like his dad.

It's a lovely day here ......lovely bright sunshine and relatively warm and mild, it feels quite springlike.

Another champagne moment this morning was trying on some of my next size down clothes and discovering that they now fit me beautifully. .

When the builder comes on Saturday I shall retreat to my bedroom out of the way and have a major decluttering session. I shall get rid of everything that is now too big or that is dull and boring, that is unflattering or is past it's sell by date.

Shoulder is a bit easier today. I have booked a massage for Monday. In the meantime lots of nice warm baths and some gentle stretching.

Healthy dinner .....Salmon and Mediterranean veg, with some yellow stickered strawberries. Simple, delicious and surprisingly cheap.
    294-20/make 2019 in 2019
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Feb 19, 7:48 PM
    • 5,089 Posts
    • 31,333 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Glad the shoulder is easing LL
    Not much by way of "champagne moments" as it's been a grey, raw day and I was at the dentist. But as a plus I have the cash for the dental costs and apart from last week's infection & needing a filling replaced my teeth are in very good condition so no major spends needed. Next in the personal MOT is booking an eye test, I use my local optician and yes they are slightly more expensive than the chains & supermarkets but with my health problems and bit of a nightmare getting a test with chain who shall remain nameless (no mate I can't control nystagmus no matter how much you sigh & tut) I'm happier there and feel the extra cost is well worth it.
    Last edited by caronc; 13-02-2019 at 7:50 PM.
    GC: Jan 105/120, Feb 50/120
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Feb 19, 9:57 PM
    • 27,203 Posts
    • 115,159 Thanks
    candygirl
    Good evening everyone,

Glad the shoulder is easing LL
    Not much by way of "champagne moments" as it's been a grey, raw day and I was at the dentist. But as a plus I have the cash for the dental costs and apart from last week's infection & needing a filling replaced my teeth are in very good condition so no major spends needed. Next in the personal MOT is booking an eye test, I use my local optician and yes they are slightly more expensive than the chains & supermarkets but with my health problems and bit of a nightmare getting a test with chain who shall remain nameless (no mate I can't control nystagmus no matter how much you sigh & tut) I'm happier there and feel the extra cost is well worth it.
    Originally posted by caronc
    My Nephew aged 11 has nystagmus too, n is really struggling at school

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

537Posts Today

5,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @WhichUK: ?? ?? @WhirlpoolCorp estimates there could be up to 500,000 unmodified & potentially dangerous tumble dryers still being used?

• RT @theresa_may: I?m pleased that we are banning all GPs? charges for forms relating to mental health and debt. I?d like to thank @mmhpi fo?

• Currently 52% in favour of self service checkouts, 48% staffed checkouts. I'm not saying a word! https://t.co/T7zzztSAr5

• Follow Martin