Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 8:56 PM
    • 2,741Posts
    • 25,598Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 8:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 8:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 103
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 5th Jan 19, 11:09 PM
    • 27,302 Posts
    • 115,972 Thanks
    candygirl
    Just read Tinks last post . You're heading towards 3 months on the new med Candy . It may be worth seeing if you can have the dose increased now . It may make a difference . Our doc does it if something seems ok but needs tweaking. As Tink says it can help .

polly x
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    It's been increased already! The Doc is great, but family issues are taking over
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 6th Jan 19, 3:46 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 25,598 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Candy I'm so glad things are still going well with your new GP . Sorry to hear there are family issues . I often think these can be more challenging than coping with our health and can add to stress and anxiety . I hope you can manage to balance your wellbeing with whatever is going on .

pollyx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 27th Jan 19, 6:52 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 25,598 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Three weeks later and just popping in to see how everyone is . Between the weather and flares it's just been doing the have to things and getting through the days here .

Still waiting for a letter from PIP . I have the print out to prove the form was delivered a few days before the return date .

I've not been online much but am starting to be able to string a few words together . The threads seem pretty quiet and I know a lot of people have been ill and pretty wiped out .

I know Wolfy has been having a rough time and she and her husband are in my thoughts .

Tink has been on my mind so I hope she and the children are feeling better and she and her husband are managing to see a way forward .

Candy and Pauline are I hope coping ok . Panic attacks are a nightmare so I do wish them and Tink some calm and peace

I've been wondering what sort of weather Pauline has been having hopefully not the damp ,cold frost and snow we've had .

I did spot Wonky Teapot on another thread and she seems to be doing ok .

Thinking of Prinzess and her mum and our other posters . Still wondering if AOT is managing ok

Just 2 appts this week so not bad

Take care all

polly x
    • Wonky_Teacup
    • By Wonky_Teacup 28th Jan 19, 7:50 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Wonky_Teacup
    Checking in and trying to catch up - which is going slower than I'd like (lots of re-reading thanks to fog)
    Money wise things are looking up, we've adjusted well to post-PIP income. So that's some positive.
    Spent Christmas with shingles, which was less than fun, and now seems to have either knocked my fatigue temporarily (hopeful) or more permanently (setting back my pacing and overall m.e. progress by about 1.5yrs as well as dominant arm nerve pain/weakness - so, yeah, hoping this is a temporary thing)

Hoping everyone is doing ok, wishing all the best and better ahead.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 28th Jan 19, 10:07 AM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 25,598 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    It's lovely to hear from you WT. I meant to reply to your post on the other thread but until last night fibro fog had meant I forgot. It was good to read you were able to help your mum with her claim .

Shingles is really nasty and the effects can linger for quite some time so take it easy . I think you were wise not to go ahead with the pip at this point . Your plans sound good and achievable. I hope your husband has now had his pay increase . Without the stress of pip you should feel more in control .

Give yourself time to recover from the shingles,the rash can flare at times although not in all cases .I've never had it but know others who have and the time for recovery seems to vary in each case .

It's cold but sunny here today so hope you're seeing some sun too.

polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th Feb 19, 5:13 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 25,598 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Just popping in to say I hope those still reading from time to time are ok and also our other friends . It's been a bit of a winter weatherwise but the days are slowly beginning to stretch as we hope for the arrival of Spring . Take care all .
    pollyx
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 10th Feb 19, 9:07 PM
    • 27,302 Posts
    • 115,972 Thanks
    candygirl
    Hi POLLY:D
    Hope you n DD are coping ok.There's lots of the brown stuff, been flying around here recently, but hopefully we're finally coming out if it, fingers crossed:o

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 11th Feb 19, 7:06 AM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 35,800 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Hi Polly and all who pop in here,

I have been reading from time to time, but haven't posted much anywhere for a while. I am plodding along, fine most of the time, but had some painful RA flares. So far I have only had one virus, quite mildly, but it still left me feeling very low in energy and mood.

Lots of family worries too, mother fell top to bottom of very steep stairs at home, she is extremely overweight and although badly bruised and shaken escaped with no broken bones, miraculous at 86. It is thought that the blood pressure tablets she had been prescribed for years (and are no longer prescribed) caused the fall. After 7 weeks in lovely little local hospital she got a place in a super residential home and is quite settled Also have 3 other family members (40,50's and early 60's) all with serious, but hopefully treatable health issues.

Like most, I am looking forward to Spring, in the meantime am enjoying doing more cooking/baking and trying to gradually and gently declutter my home. Nice long holiday to Scotland in our caravan booked for May, so lots to look forward too.

Polly I am sorry that you and your DD have had such a rotten spell with viruses etc, apologies for not picking up on other's posts, but sending copious hugs and spoons to those who would like some.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Feb 19, 8:44 AM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 25,598 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    It's good to see you both . Will read and reply this evening , am getting ready for a Drs appt for dd followed by a hospital one later . Catch up later , at least the sun's shining so hope it is with you both too.
    pollyx
    Last edited by pollyanna 26; 11-02-2019 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Typo this morning
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Feb 19, 9:35 AM
    • 2,834 Posts
    • 30,720 Thanks
    mothernerd
    I'm coming out of lurkdom. I have read a lot of the earlier posts and still get notifications but haven't been reading much of anything recently. I will post properly later - I have a funeral to attend. It's at noon, I set the alarm for 10am to give myself time to get ready but woke earlier.

I have had to rest between each stage of getting ready (even more than usual). Currently in bed (helps to dry any creases I can't reach), have applied antiseptic cream to areas that need it and next stage is to put generous amounts of moisturiser/ cream over the rest before putting on support bandages.

Just wanted to thank you all for the wonderful supportive thread, it has helped me an awful lot.
    Changing to a Life of Simplicity and Serenity with added rainbows
    NST Apr #8 SFD 10/15 Food 93/160 Travel 11.60/20 Ent 10/12 Diy 0/10 Ext overnight stay in cheap hotel?
    No Debt No mortgage
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Feb 19, 8:44 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 25,598 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Well I'm back and it's been a long day. Are you coping alright with brown stuff candy sleep ,pain and anxiety wise? It seems to have been going on for a while . Pot , kettle , black here but I have noticed recently you're online quite late sometimes . That reminds me of the time I told caronc off for not being in bed after a very long hard day and she didn't realise about the green light
    Hope the furnutters are well and keeping the smiles on your face.

maddie Your mum was very lucky to have a good outcome after such a fall and it must be a load of your mind to see her safe, happy and settled now .It's odd how some meds can work against people with certain conditions . Statins benefit many but are unwise for others Toxic ex started going rapidly downhill some years ago in a number of ways including balance problems , cognitive issues etc.
    Always in the belief he was living under the radar despite the fact he'd worked all his life,paid tax etc he avoided officialdom . I finally had a word over a number of years because his eldest daughter was so worried . Think he wanted me back in the past once more with my mouth shut as a woman's should be in his weird reality . So he went to see a Dr for probably only the 3rd time in his life .He was prescribed Statins as over 60s are and they exacerbated his problems . I'd already pretty well figured out what was wrong with him but he wouldn't listen and probably kept taking them to win against me .

I had held back on the condition and scaled it down but as you saw on here it didn't end well and the statins were a big part of what robbed him of his independence and mobility .

What part of Scotland will you be visiting? It's one of my most loved places with the big skies and wild beauty . I hope you both have a lovely time and for you none of the flippin' flares I can't guarantee the sunshine . It's like an extreme version of the lakes when it comes to weather but I hope it stays fine for you.

Thanks for the spoons and hugs always welcome. Sending the same to you and everyone here whether posting or not .

I can't remember if it was you I told off a year or so ago but if you were the one crawling under the caravan , consider yourself warned in advance

Apologies to both yourself and candy for the solid wall of text ,you'll notice I realised partway through this reply . Fibro fog has been alive and kicking today and I had important stuff to respond to via emails while on the move . I had to keep reading back to correct typos!

Quick breather and I'll reply to mothernerd.
    pollyx.
    Last edited by pollyanna 26; 11-02-2019 at 8:45 PM. Reason: Typo
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Feb 19, 9:43 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 25,598 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Welcome mothernerd now you've confessed to lurkdom I'll confess I lurk with The Turtles when I get a chance. The months you run are really motivational to me and very inspiring . I often ask myself what would mothernerd do? Sometimes I have little cringe and think leave it until tomorrow and try to rest but I'm also one who will see something through with determination and an obstinate nature and end up paying the price later .

I love the quotes and references , the books you mention etc . I actually visulise you juggling cans and pizza boxes while recycling . Looking after your mum , volunteering and needing to keep the ship on course despite your own health problems make you an ideal friend to have here.

I'm not a person who has a lot of stuff I'll pass on craft stuff overload as you do and other things others will use . My nemesis is books , not e books etc but physical feel the covers , turn the pages and feel the joy books. I did donate a few hundred to a local private animal rescue . They depend on public donations and would never put a healthy animal to sleep even if it remains with them throughout it's life .

I'm someone who has followed Call the midwife from the first series and after the recent Christmas special settled down to follow the weekly episodes I've no idea if you watch it . Like yourself I love social history and it's amazing the things that weren't on my radar in the times they are now showing As a campaigner since my teens I was fighting for many causes but not seeing other things that were going on. Anyway there was an episode featuring an elderly lady who reminded me of Dame Maggie Smith in The Lady in the Van.

She was obviously educated and of what then was called a higher class.Living in dire poverty with badly ulcerated legs , poorly nourished and depending on a little girl next door to keep her secret and do a bit of shopping etc. To get to the point among the rubbish and worse as we later saw She had books everywhere ceiling high and on every surface . Thankfully I've not reached that stage yet!
    It did however concentrate my mind and start alarm bells .
    I was watching back to back with the new non musical version of Les Mis ( unsure about that in the first episode but can recommend as I realised in episode 2 there was more story and background without the songs much as I love them .

Watching the old lady has concentrated my mind having visualised death by books headlines in the local press. The books didn't kill her and I wont give any more plot away in case anyone wants to watch that episode but I've spoken to a friend of ours who manages the charities bookshop and given him advance warning I'll be culling them so many at a time and will warn in advance so someone can collect and get them on the shelves . Can't change my mind now!

You may have noticed I can waffle for Britain . If you can bear with that and some daft typos ( I've edited some whoppers typing this and no doubt there are some I've missed) it will be lovely to see you here when you have time and enough spoons .

Take care

pollyx
    Last edited by pollyanna 26; 11-02-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Missed a whole word. Time for bed said Zebedee!
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Feb 19, 11:13 PM
    • 27,302 Posts
    • 115,972 Thanks
    candygirl
    POLLY I do stay up late, but never sign out of mse

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Feb 19, 7:29 AM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 35,800 Thanks
    maddiemay
    POLLY I do stay up late, but never sign out of mse
    Originally posted by candygirl
    candy - same here to both
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Feb 19, 12:18 PM
    • 27,302 Posts
    • 115,972 Thanks
    candygirl
    candy - same here to both
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    We're PA nightowls

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Feb 19, 3:03 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 25,598 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    It must be the odd one out then . I pop in and out read through then post and sign out again . That can be repeated a few times through the day.. I think part of the problem may be I'm reading on the first version of the new format and get taken to the old green skin when I sign in to post. I opted to keep the green skin back when they first tested the new version as like many others found the new one too bright and glaring. However I have for quite some time found the new one better to read on . No idea what it's like to post on so haven't tried in case I don't get on with it . Replying on the green looks very cramped and cluttered now to me and I start making errors when I'm typing as I find it a distraction .

I hope your relatives progress well maddie you seem to be getting a perfect storm to deal with . Apologies for not mentioning them yesterday . I was like a very limp lettuce by the time we got back from the hospital last night. We've never had such a long wait to be seen in all years sitting in waiting rooms or spent such a long time with a consultant . Everything went well and both Consultant and Nurse were lovely.It was very thorough which made it worthwhile and it's touch and go now whether that amount of time is available.

The only negative is treatment will be at a hospital a fair distance from our area but nowadays we're lucky to get constant good support without needing to push so we can do it.
    pollyx
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 12th Feb 19, 7:07 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    ailz95
    As a fibro fog sufferer I can't remember whether I've introduced myself on this thread or not. I know I subscribed.

Anyway here I am, looking forward to catching up with all of you - I'm clearing clutter, trying to lose weight & force DH to eat a bit more healthily.
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 12th Feb 19, 7:10 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    ailz95
    Good afternoon

Well another 2lb down which is good news but I have just noticed my major medication now includes sucrose. I have done really well losing all the artificial sweeteners and flavourings so I will have to ask if I can get the unsweetened type again.

I made a pork roast traybake last night which was scrumptious and hardly any effort involved. My hands are not working well and I dropped a plate. I am going to investigate a local spa that is offering a groupon deal - I am hoping the warmth would be beneficial.

Thinking of all the regular posters, take care
    Pauline
    Originally posted by 117pauline
    I bought myself a wax bath for my hands. They aren't very expensive in Boots and bring such a lot of relief.
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Feb 19, 8:04 AM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 35,800 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Good morning all, slept in a little this morning so running late, had some great news last evening. The youngest of the family members with a health problem saw the top man at cardiology dept and after being off work, unable to drive, unable to go running and having a heart monitor embedded in his chest for weeks and weeks, it has been decided that his problem is down to very low BP and is treatable, he can apply to get his DL back etc, etc. This old Aunt is so happy for them.

Need to get going so I can go to Knit N Natter later, so will try and catch up later.

Have the best day possible (think the sun is coming out here)
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 13th Feb 19, 8:35 AM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 12,812 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Morning all!

It has been a busy week or two here...

Mum got a phone call telling her that an appointment was available at the skin clinic...on a SUNDAY!!!...now Mum and I are regulars at the hospital in various departments (one joe among us is that barring men's-issues and pregnancy we have been to ALL the departments!(maybe an exaggeration, but sure seems that way!)...some folks pub crawl, we seem to be getting on first-name terms in all the hospital areas!) but never had a Sunday-clinic before!….she had a couple of 'possible malignant' lesions frozen-off...just-to-be-safe...and one lump looks definitely to be malignant and will be scheduled for removal ASAP.

I too am awaiting a minor-surgery day appointment...same clinic as Mum -it would be cool if we could be seen on the same day!...my lump is deemed 'unlikely to be malignant - probably a fattylump/cyst'...but they want to remove it just-in-case...which suits me (it's not the first I've had removed)

I'm a little tired at the moment...the busy-ness of the last week or so has left me stressed which led to stomach troubles (nuff said!!!)...and I woke at half-past-far-too-early this morning and had to rush to the loo...and couldn't sleep afterwards...so am washed out this morning.

On a positive note I am now just a few pounds away from being 'overweight'!!!!...might seem odd to celebrate being overweight....but I have gone from morbidly obese to seriously obese to obese ….this year WILL see me approaching a 'normal' weight ...at least normal-for-me!

Off now to check on the Sauerkraut I have made...and maybe see about tackling the washing up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

770Posts Today

5,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin