How'd you work out Gas consumption?

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    si_pritch wrote: »
    I'm a little confused.

I am trying to work out if our gas pre payment meter is overcharging us. According to my meter, I have used 41106 units in a given period, at a cost of £20. (it's in metric)

How do I work out how much that is in KWh and then how much each KWh has cost me, so that I can compare this to the quoted prices on British Gas' website?

I have a feeling something is not quite right here, especially since the originator of this post used 600 odd units in a year!

Thanks in advance - having lurked here for a little while, I know that reponses are always helpful and informative!!

:)

Where did you get 41106 from? I suspect it's from your statement - this isn't meter units, it's been converted into kwh.

£20 for 41106kwh = about 4.8p per kwh.
  • Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

I'm on a prepayment card, so never get a bill. I use a top up type card, put money on it at a shop, then put the card into the box next to the meter to use gas.

Reading taken when no credit on machine at start - 2715037
    Reading taken when no credit on machine at end - 2756143

So, I get 41106 unit used.

Does this seem a little excessive, especially if I tell you we have had the heating on for 3 hours a day, plus hot water and cooking - start reading was taken 30/12/08, end reading taken 03/01/09.

And no, we don't eat like pigs, or use lots of hot water!

:) thanks in advance again!
  • Magentasue
    Ah, I have no experience of prepay - not unless you count when I was a child and we fed it shillings.

I'm now thinking that you are reading too many digits on the display - are some red or different in some way?
  • Nope - all the number look exactly the same, with no divider / points in between - on a digital readout.
  • kat1982
    kat1982 Posts: 23 Forumite
    imperial meters have four dials in the black, metric have five :)
  • It's a digital meter display, so there are no dials at all.
  • Magentasue
    In that case, I think you only use the first four digits which makes yours 41 for four days.

Imperial = approx 41 x 31 = 1271
    Metric = approx 41 x 11 = 451

So metric = 451kwh for £20

I think that makes sense.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    si_pritch wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

I'm on a prepayment card, so never get a bill. I use a top up type card, put money on it at a shop, then put the card into the box next to the meter to use gas.

Reading taken when no credit on machine at start - 2715037
    Reading taken when no credit on machine at end - 2756143

So, I get 41106 unit used.

Does this seem a little excessive, especially if I tell you we have had the heating on for 3 hours a day, plus hot water and cooking - start reading was taken 30/12/08, end reading taken 03/01/09.

41106 gas units used would cost about £18,000.00

I suggest the last 3 digits are decimal places(are they in red?) so you have used 41.106 gas units which is approx 460kWh.

If you are paying 4p/kWh that is approx £18.40
  • Magentasue
    Or, taking what kat said, maybe the first five digits, which would make it 411kwh over four days.
  • Thanks everyone for answering my question and proving just how rubbish I really am at Maths!

Does anyone think this sounds a little excessive?

If we were to change to a direct debit meter instead, would this be cheaper?
    Are there any pitfalls / charges in doing this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure