Additional meter needed or will smart meters help ??

the_dooce
the_dooce Posts: 8 Forumite
Hi.
I live in a 3 bed semi with an additional 2 bed flat attached. At the time the additional flat was built a family member/s was living in both the house and flat and so the gas and electric supply was kept on 1 meter. The flat is now empty and I am looking to let it.
Can anyone advise the costing for separating the meter or if getting smart meters would allow me enough information to seperate utility payments?
Ideally I'd like a responsibly inexpensive solution without digging up drive.
Many thanks

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If you want proper separately billed supplies you are likely looking at £Ks. If you want sub meters which you can bill to then, depending on how the flat is connected to the main supplies, could be done for a few hundred. A smart meter would be of no use as it can't differentiate where the power is being used.
  • the_dooce
    Thank you, I was coming to the same conclusion. I think a sub meter may be the way forward.
    Any landlords around that can advise how often you take meter readings and bills for this ? Thank you
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't have thought a new electric meter would be expensive. The supply is there. And the advantage is it is nothing to do with you then. (part of it depends what was done when it was built. If there is a seperate fusebox/consumer unit it should be ok.

Are there two boilers or one ?
  • the_dooce
    Thank you. Yes seperate boilers and fuse boxes in both properties
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can get landlord's prepayment smart meters where the tenant does their own top-ups by phone or online. This saves you having to bill the tenant or sell cards.

EG https://www.landlordmetering.com/

NB
    (1) some suppliers of landlord smart meters may require the property supply to be switched to their own energy provider
    (2) any meter you use must be MID compliant and you are not allowed to charge more for electricity than it costs you
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I don't think electricity will be a problem, but gas might be.

If you become a landlord you will have to get an annual safety certificate. To run two boilers from the same meter is unusual and might contravene the latest regulations regarding gas pressure, isolation of supplies etc.

You might be better letting the flat with gas and electricity included, effectively as lodgers.

What about water supply, is that metered? If let as a flat it should have a separate supply and account.
  • JC_Derby
    JC_Derby Posts: 806 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    AndyPK wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought a new electric meter would be expensive. The supply is there. And the advantage is it is nothing to do with you then. (part of it depends what was done when it was built. If there is a seperate fusebox/consumer unit it should be ok.

Are there two boilers or one ?
    you wont be able to get two suppliers meters on one single phase supply.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't see any safety issue with running 2 boilers from a single meter, as long as the pressure is adequate, which might require an uprated supply pipe should the boiler be replaced.
    Obviously, it should be possible to isolate the supplies independently if required.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    JC_Derby wrote: »
    you wont be able to get two suppliers meters on one single phase supply.

I've got 3 meters off a single phase supply.

As you have gas it should be low demand on elec
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If you go for the sub meter, then how will you deal with standing charge? Assuming that your tariff has a standing charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure