Attendance Allowance

Hope I've posted in the right place, I wasn't sure. Can anyone tell me please, if husband and wife living in same household, both claim Attendance Allowance or is that not allowed? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hope I've posted in the right place, I wasn't sure. Can anyone tell me please, if husband and wife living in same household, both claim Attendance Allowance or is that not allowed? Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, they can as long as they both fit the requirements.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Yes. We do. We help each other.

DH spoke to a man at the podiatrist's who wears the same shoes as he does, but without socks. Why? Because he lives alone and has no one to help him putting on socks. We put socks on for each other, a lot of other things too.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Thank you so much. I already have it and he is listed as my carer. IMO my OH should have it now as he has become more disabled and needs things done for him too. Wasn't sure if they would allow it living at same address with one of us as carer.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thank you so much. I already have it and he is listed as my carer. IMO my OH should have it now as he has become more disabled and needs things done for him too. Wasn't sure if they would allow it living at same address with one of us as carer.
    With your partner being your carer that could go against him for his AA claim but it will totally depend on the reasons for his AA claim. For example if you both have physical needs, which would contradict his AA claim.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you so much. I already have it and he is listed as my carer. IMO my OH should have it now as he has become more disabled and needs things done for him too. Wasn't sure if they would allow it living at same address with one of us as carer.

As long as the reasons why you are claiming AA don't conflict with the care provided to the other person, you can both claim AA for yourselves and Carer's Allowance for looking after each other.
  • I would assume that most if not all people claiming AA would be over state retirement age and receiving SRP which is an overlapping benefit, but being in receipt of AA might get some premiums for means tested benefits.
  • sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 22 May 2018 at 11:03PM
    venison wrote: »
    I would assume that most if not all people claiming AA would be over state retirement age and receiving SRP which is an overlapping benefit, but being in receipt of AA might get some premiums for means tested benefits.

Attendance allowance doesn't overlap with state retirement pension. You may be thinking of carers allowance.

Editing for more clarity: I should have said that AA is not an overlapping benefit with state pension. That is, you can get the full amount of both if you qualify - which is not the case with carers allowance.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Attendance allowance doesn't overlap with state retirement pension. You may be thinking of carers allowance.

You have to be aged 65 or over to get AA, which is the state retirement age for men, but won't be sometime soon.

As the increase from 65 to 66 etc doesn't start until next year. I would have corrected the statement "I would assume that most if not all people claiming AA would be over state retirement age" by noting that all current claimants are over the state retirement age.

Whether or not the qualifying age for AA will change in the future to match the higher state retirement age is not something I would bet against.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite

Editing for more clarity: I should have said that AA is not an overlapping benefit with state pension. That is, you can get the full amount of both if you qualify - which is not the case with carers allowance.

Yes, this is true. Obviously, both DH and I have been in receipt of retirement pension for some time now.

AA is a very useful benefit since it is non-means-testable and non-taxable. In our 9th decade, we are both still taxpayers.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport