Can I submit further evidence to the tribunal?

Hi all, I had the result of my mandatory reconsideration today.
It didn't work, I am trying to be in the support group and I am in the work activity group.
I'm feeling pretty annoyed as it turns out 4 years of medical records isn't good enough for them..

Anyway, what I was wondering is is it possible for me to go to my doctor with the letter, and ask him to write a report on how the DWP is wrong on the points they made when making their decision? For me to send to the tribunal?
Also, is it possible to submit my appeal in first and then submit evidence to the tribunal later, as of course it will take some time for the doctor to do this.
Is it even possible?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    MutchyMan wrote: »
    Hi all, I had the result of my mandatory reconsideration today.
    It didn't work, I am trying to be in the support group and I am in the work activity group.
    I'm feeling pretty annoyed as it turns out 4 years of medical records isn't good enough for them..

Anyway, what I was wondering is is it possible for me to go to my doctor with the letter, and ask him to write a report on how the DWP is wrong on the points they made when making their decision? For me to send to the tribunal?
    Also, is it possible to submit my appeal in first and then submit evidence to the tribunal later, as of course it will take some time for the doctor to do this.
    Is it even possible?
    Being placed into the Support Group is about satisfying at least one of the Descriptors, which you'll find here.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors
    Or reg 35 here
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/2955-regulation-35-2-b-is-now-the-main-route-into-esa-support-group

You need to concentrate on just sending in the SSCS1 form within 1 month from the date of the MR decision and make sure you attach a copy of the MR decision letter to the form, otherwise they won't accept your appeal.

Evidence can be sent at a later date, as long as it arrives at least 10 days before the hearing, it's fine. Tribunal dates can take months, depending on where you are in the country and the backlogs.

Appearing in person will give you the best chance.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Yes to both of your questions. You request the tribunal hearing and then send evidence. It has to arrive ten days before the hearing, but that will probably be months away so you have plenty of time.

You can ask your doctor for evidence, but if it just says 'MutchyMan says he has x symptom' it's going to be less useful than 'MutchyMan has x symptom, which is backed up by y tests and my own observations'.

Remember that a tribunal has a much better chance of success if you attend in person. You telling them how it is is your best evidence.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 May 2018 at 10:20AM
    Useful guide to the appeals process here:
    https://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal
    (Deals with PIP but the process is virtually the same for ESA).

Also: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/problems-with-benefits-and-tax-credits/challenging-a-benefit-decision/challenging-a-dwp-benefit-decision-on-or-after-28-october-2013/appealing-against-a-benefit-decision/appealing-against-a-dwp-benefit-decision/

As poppy & Ames say be sure to explain why you should be int the SG in terms of the SG descriptors or Reg 35. Show these to your GP and ask him to refer to them in his letter of support.
    More on Reg 35 - http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/making-exception

All evidence counts - so submit a statement to the tribunal, letters from carers / family, additional relevant medical evidence, etc. Ensure these are concise and relate your condition/ capabilities to the relevant SG descriptor / Reg 35.
    As poppy & Ames say your verbal evidence at the tribunal will be very important, have examples around the relevant descriptor to tell the panel, takes notes / a diary with you with these examples. Don't just trust to memory. Preparation and knowledge of the SG descriptors is key.

Why do you think you should be in the SG?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    You must make it clear that any evidence relates to how you were when the original decision was made. The Tribunal cannot take into account any change in your condition since then.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • MutchyMan
    MutchyMan Posts: 14 Forumite
    hb2 wrote: »
    You must make it clear that any evidence relates to how you were when the original decision was made. The Tribunal cannot take into account any change in your condition since then.

Am I right to assume this is excluding reg 35 or schedule 9 of Universal Credit? As the decision to put me in WRAG has caused me mental distress?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    Am I right to assume this is excluding reg 35 or schedule 9 of Universal Credit? As the decision to put me in WRAG has caused me mental distress?
    No that's incorrect. Anything that relates to how you were/are after the decision was made can not be used. It must relate to how you were at the time of the assessment.
  • Alice_Holt
    If you are citing risk to health if having to participate in WRAG activities, the tribunal will be very interested to hear how you are coping with being in that group currently.

It's more than mental distress - the wording is significant risk to health.
    The tribunal are likely to accept that if you had a pre-existing condition (such as severe social phobia or agoraphobia) which has worsened because of participation in WRAG activities, this may be evidence that your mental health is at significant risk.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • MutchyMan
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    If you are citing risk to health if having to participate in WRAG activities, the tribunal will be very interested to hear how you are coping with being in that group currently.

Very badly. Starting antidepressants, being unable to take part in hobbies I used to be able to take part in due to depression.
  • Alice_Holt
    being unable to take part in hobbies I used to be able to take part in due to depression.

I meant the actual WRAG sessions at the JC or work trainer provider, interviews with your job coach, etc

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1483-work-focused-interview

Does participation in these, place your mental health at significant risk?
  • MutchyMan
    edited 23 May 2018 at 8:44PM
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    I meant the actual WRAG sessions at the JC or work trainer provider, interviews with your job coach, etc

Does participation in these, place your mental health at significant risk?

I worry about them. And it causes me to stop eating.

I!!!8217;m just so glad I receive daily living PIP and can!!!8217;t be sanctioned for that. Otherwise I think I!!!8217;d be in an even worse state.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure