PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why is it so hard to sell a 3 bed semi in Leeds?

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Unlikely.

But let's pause and think here, shall we?

Three-bed family house. At a 5% rental yield, £100k is £420/month rent.
    Leeds Local Housing Allowance Housing Benefit rates for a three-bed property are £150/week.

So it would be a good investment as a BtL, even allowing for some refurb. So, no, it's not some ridiculously never-worth-it conceptual figure.

But, at that money, there are much better buys.

You haven`t really thought very hard have you?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Do go on...
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Do go on...

Round 1.... Fight
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Personally - I am still sympathising with OP - because it is hard to find an asset isnt worth as much as one thought it was (whatever that asset is).

So - I think people could be a bit more "gentle" on OP in some ways - because it is a disappointing situation they are in.

It is easy to underestimate just how much money and effort have to be put into a house to bring it up to scratch if it hasnt been touched for decades and one does only come to see that buyers will look at things that way if having been in that position oneself. I'm still struggling to believe that my current house was pretty much described as "ready to move into" despite being 1970s and b&gger all having been done to it basically since then and I'm guessing at it being somewheres in the region of £50k-£60k to get this small ordinary little house up to scratch - being monies spent and monies still to spend (but I ran out of money....:().

It doesnt matter in the slightest if a house has an avocado bathroom suite at one level - it's still perfectly usable and there is no logical reason in many ways to rip out a perfectly usable bathroom for instance - but I'll hold my hands up and admit that if a house hasnt got a white bathroom suite/huge tiles/etc that I'll be the first to start ripping everything out. It's just down to what we feel at home with/are used to personally I guess.

Sorry - OP.:(
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    Look guys
    If you are just going to insult me for the sake of winding me up-don't bother!!
    108 is taking the absolute puss for a 3 bedroom semi/terrace whatever and I'm sure you wouldn't even consider it if it were yours.
    What I was expecting was sensible suggestions about how to sell it for 130k not people acting like !!!!!! and insulting me.
    If you are really such professional punters how come you know so much more than the agents who put it on for 139 originally?-don't you think they would have told me if it was I being unrealistic at 130?
    People giving you constructive advice about selling your home winds you up but a real estate agent putting pictures of your Dad's funeral flowers on rightmove doesn't?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2016 at 5:29PM
    Re the funeral flowers on show - and I do sympathise with OP showing them in a photo.

Which is followed by its' not so much down to them showing that this is a probate house - but the fact that they demonstrate a particular set of tastes that are different to the tastes of many other people.

Personally - I know logically that funeral flowers are funeral flowers are....etc....etc....but it's the fact that some people will have the sort of funeral flowers that are similar to that (eg spell out "Dad" for instance) and others won't and if a potential buyer is someone that has rather different tastes to that personally then that is one clue that "vendor has very different tastes/expectations to me personally" and personally I dont tend to think that is a very good idea.

It may be because I am someone that has very different tastes personally and would have chosen a floral tribute in a very different style personally.

You arent wrong. I'm not right. It's just personal taste. But I suspect house buyers have a tendency (at some level) to be searching for a house vendor that has similar tastes to ourselves. Hence the standard advice to "Keep Things Neutral".

I know...I know...and what-the-blimmin'-heck-difference does it make? But I guess it's down to that "make a house look like the owner has a similar life style to what you have (or aspire to......)". It is daft...I'll be the first one to agree....but it does affect things to some extent I feel imo. Sorry....

....and...yes...I'd be ready to "rip the guts out" of anyone that didnt respect my father personally - so I think I know where you are coming from on that one....
  • SallyG
    SallyG Posts: 850 Forumite
    I always avoid houses that look as though someone died there last night.
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    18 Wellington Gdns - £164k, but has conservatory and separate carport/garage not in the garden
    26 Ganners Lane - £87k
    I appreciate the OP does't want to hear it, but the property is closer in style to the Ganners Lane ones than Wellington Gdns, and should be priced accordingly. This is based on actual sale prices, not someone's best guess at what might happen....
    Ganners Lane is so much nicer than OPs house...

Also, a photo with "DAD" in the backgarden makes me wonder what's burried back there. Not exactly enticing to visit
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
    Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I don't know Leeds at all (I live down South) so can't comment on area/price.

What I will say is that there's a house for sale on my road, which is a nice cul de sac where houses don't come up for sale very often. This is a 70's built 3 bed semi with a loft room seemingly used for storage. I suspect it's a probate sale or being sold due to elderly owner going into a care home due to the furniture that's there, what looks like the original 70's kitchen and various other aspects of the house.

It went up for sale at £385k, was reduced after a couple of months to £350k and it's now on at £330k so a £50k price drop in approx 6 months. It's a nice house in a nice street but it requires a lot of updating.

Instead of insulting people who are trying to help maybe you need to think about what I and other posters are trying to explain to you.
  • Re the funeral flowers on show - and I do sympathise with OP showing them in a photo.

Which is followed by its' not so much down to them showing that this is a probate house - but the fact that they demonstrate a particular set of tastes that are different to the tastes of many other people.

Personally - I know logically that funeral flowers are funeral flowers are....etc....etc....but it's the fact that some people will have the sort of funeral flowers that are similar to that (eg spell out "Dad" for instance) and others won't and if a potential buyer is someone that has rather different tastes to that personally then that is one clue that "vendor has very different tastes/expectations to me personally" and personally I dont tend to think that is a very good idea.

It may be because I am someone that has very different tastes personally and would have chosen a floral tribute in a very different style personally.

You arent wrong. I'm not right. It's just personal taste. But I suspect house buyers have a tendency (at some level) to be searching for a house vendor that has similar tastes to ourselves. Hence the standard advice to "Keep Things Neutral".

I know...I know...and what-the-blimmin'-heck-difference does it make? But I guess it's down to that "make a house look like the owner has a similar life style to what you have (or aspire to......)". It is daft...I'll be the first one to agree....but it does affect things to some extent I feel imo. Sorry....

....and...yes...I'd be ready to "rip the guts out" of anyone that didnt respect my father personally
    - so I think I know where you are coming from on that one....
    People not wanting to pay an inflated price for the house is not disrespecting him......
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure