ESA savings

Hi, I've been on the government website looking at what savings someone on ESA is allowed, £6,000 or £16,000 (both amounts are ridiculously large), which is it? I ask because my neighbour is set to receive more than £6,000 as a home loss payment, which she says will be paid directly into her bank account. Any help would be grateful because she worries and I'd like to reassure her.

Comments

• Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Income related benefits start to be affected when capital reaches £6,000/B

Once someone has capital of £16,000 they are no longer entitled to receive income related benefit.

Between those amounts benefit would be affected by losing £1 in benefit for every £250 in capital over the £6,000]
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If you think that having £6k in savings is 'ridiculously large' to be allowed to claim benefits, I wonder how helpful you will be to your neighbour with that attitude.
  • usedtoname
    usedtoname Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks Nannytone, that makes things clearer for her.

TELLIT01, I was always of the understanding that you needed benefits because you had nothing.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    usedtoname wrote: »

TELLIT01, I was always of the understanding that you needed benefits because you had nothing.
    No, not true. People are allowed to have some savings and claim a means tested benefit as clearly stated in post #2.
  • usedtoname wrote: »

So perhaps you would like to explain why you think that people on benefits shouldn't be allowed to have some modest savings?
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    venison wrote: »
    So perhaps you would like to explain why you think that people on benefits shouldn't be allowed to have some modest savings?

Perhaps because other countries, such as France, have no problem in adopting a zero tolerance to savings.

£1 in savings means £1 less in benefits for that week.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I certainly wouldn't class £6000-£16000 savings as modest.

My wife and I work full time, are not entitled to any benefits etc and would love to have such modest sums of money at hand.
  • Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    £6 to £16k isn't that much really. I think it's appropriate that benefits decrease gradually up to £16k.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • epitome wrote: »
    Perhaps because other countries, such as France, have no problem in adopting a zero tolerance to savings.

£1 in savings means £1 less in benefits for that week.

They also retire earlier in France, does that mean we can because they do?
  • JamoLew wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't class £6000-£16000 savings as modest.

My wife and I work full time, are not entitled to any benefits etc and would love to have such modest sums of money at hand.

Who knows? perhaps someone on benefits get left £5k in a will or wins it on a scratch card
    If you agree that 6k-16k is modest (which it is) then why haven't you amassed this small fortune?
    I'm just interested in other peoples views before you shoot me down:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport