Employer changing cut off date for wages

Hi,

I'm a care assistant and I work in shift patterns. I've been with my current employer for over a year now (since Feb 2017) and I haven't had any problems with them regarding my wages. We get paid fortnightly, 1 week in arrears.

But just before the Easter bank holiday this year, my employer gave us 9 days notice saying that our pay period would be cut short due to the payroll company being closed on the bank holiday Monday.

Today we notified that our pay period would be cut short again. But the cut off date will be tomorrow (23/05/18).

Is this legal for the employer to do? Not giving their staff enough notice that results in a change of pay.
Surely my employer and/or the payroll company would know when the bank holidays are and would have notified us months in advance? :(:(:(

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 May 2018 at 8:50PM
    There is nothing like a disorganised employer to make things difficult for their employees! I doubt however that there is much they can do about the cut-off date. They may even completely forget to tell you next time.

Your best bet is to be prepared yourself. It is always better to take control of this kind of thing yourself rather than trusting someone else to do it when they are known to fail. Have you worked out if the August Bank Holiday is going to cause you problems? (I don't think it will).

It isn't right that you should have to figure it out for yourself, but it is better for you if you do. Remember they could be closed from before Christmas until after New Year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure