Faulty Iron

Options
We purchased a new steam iron in June 2017 so its approx 9 months old. I registered it with the manufacturer to get a 2 year warranty.
It has stopped working and the manufacturer has replied to my query asking
"can you please confirm where this was purchased from as some companies have bought out warranty for the first 12 months."

I haven't a clue what they mean.

I thought I was covered by the Sale of Goods act even after an initial 12 months.

Does anyone know what is meant by bought out warranty.

Thanks

P

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The Sale of Goods Act applies between the consumer and retailer. Did you purchase the iron directly from the manufacturer?

Some retailers may have opted out of the manufacturers scheme and arranged to have repairs done in house during the first 12 months. If that's the case the manufacturer will refer you back to the retailer.

A warranty is in addition to your consumer rights not instead of them. Your contract was with the retailer not the manufacturer unless you purchased the item directly from them.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Pepsi wrote: »
    Does anyone know what is meant by bought out warranty.

Most goods sold in the UK come with a manufacturers warranty but what happens when the warranty is bought out by the retailer is this.

Say for example, Sony sell a TV to a retailer and it comes with a 2 year warranty (covered by Sony) and they charge the retailer £500 for each TV set.
    That retailer might be given the option to get the same TV set for £450 but it is then supplied without a manufacturers warranty.
    In the event of that set going faulty, the retailer then has the responsibility for providing a repair or replacement.

It's a gamble on the part of the retailers as they hope that the money they save by getting the goods at a discount will more than cover any money they have to pay out for faulty goods.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Sale of Goods Act is no longer in force for consumer purchases, it's the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

As was said in the previous post, the retailer may have got a better discount but in return has absolved the manufacturer for faults in the first 12 months.
  • Pepsi
    Pepsi Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Got it,
    Thanks for your replies, it's only a small online retailer so I doubt they would have bought out the warranty. If it hasn't then I assume it has the manufacturer warranty and the manufacturer would be responsible for repair after 9 months and not the retailer.

P
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pepsi wrote: »
    Got it,
    Thanks for your replies, it's only a small online retailer so I doubt they would have bought out the warranty. If it hasn't then I assume it has the manufacturer warranty and the manufacturer would be responsible for repair after 9 months and not the retailer.

P
    Based on the law, after the first 6 months the consumer needs to prove that there is an inherent manufacturing defect by way of independent report, if they do this the retailer needs to repair, replace or refund the cost of the item (accounting for time used if they wish).

However most retailers offer a 12 month warranty which as stated above is in addition to your statutory rights, go back to the retailer and report the fault to them and see what they say.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 April 2018 at 3:05PM
    Options
    cono1717 wrote: »

However most retailers offer a 12 month warranty which as stated above is in addition to your statutory rights, go back to the retailer and report the fault to them and see what they say.

I really don't think they do. In most cases a warranty will be offered by the manufacturer not the retailer, and even the retailers that do offer an extended warranty for some products (such as John Lewis) will often contract that out to either the manufacturer or a third party.

Of course, in this instance the OP is able to make a choice between invoking the manufacturer's warranty or using the CRA to ask the retailer for resolution.
  • Pepsi
    Pepsi Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    The retailer has just ignored my messages. After sending a copy of my receipt to the manufacturer they have said they will send a replacement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure