Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Employer won't let me increase my contribution

2»

Comments

• Shevek
    Shevek Posts: 46
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks to all for the replies.

I was just hoping to not have to do anything manually.

If I do have to make manual payments then I think I would rather do it into my SIPP than NEST.
  • runninglea
    runninglea Posts: 907
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I asked this question at work and got told that the sage software asked for the contribution percentage and this was set for every employee. If all its ee's wanted different rates then the software couldn't handle it.
    Year 2019 (1,700/£17000mortgage repayment)Overall mortgage (71,400/165568) (44
    .1%) (42/100) payments made. Total paid 2019 year £1,700

Total paid 2017 year £15,300Total paid 2018 year £13,600
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,237
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It is definitely possible with NEST to increase the % you pay. I know because I have done so. You can also make additional contributions via direct debit (min £10)
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,816
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Might be off the mark here but perhaps there is some misunderstanding due to the terminology used? Its not your employee contribution that you want to increase - employee contributions are a set %.What you want to do is make an additional voluntary contribution (AVC). It's possible that if you were talking to someone who deals with HR/Payroll in such a small company that they may not really understand pensions so didn't realise what you are asking.
  • Shevek
    Shevek Posts: 46
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tizerbelle wrote: »
    Might be off the mark here but perhaps there is some misunderstanding due to the terminology used? Its not your employee contribution that you want to increase - employee contributions are a set %.What you want to do is make an additional voluntary contribution (AVC). It's possible that if you were talking to someone who deals with HR/Payroll in such a small company that they may not really understand pensions so didn't realise what you are asking.

Ah, now that is very interesting. I wasn't aware of that terminology. I will try again!

Many, many thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport