PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick question - boiled bacon

Options
Hi, I bought a joint of bacon from the butchers and cooked it in the slow cooker with a couple of ham stock cubes and water.

I skimmed the fat and am left with about a pint of sock - jelly like! Can I use this as a stock for soups or something?

Comments

• oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    it will be as salty as the dead sea. so the answer is no. if you are gong to use the liquor for stock then you soak the joint overnight then boil it in a large pan, cover with cold water bring to boil then boil for 10 mins then throw water away and repeat once more.Cover with cold water agin bring to boil and simmer until joint is cooked. remove joint. cool liquor, skim off fat and scum, taste to see if ok if so then add veg, lentils whatever and cook.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes - but be careful with seasoning as it may be quite salty (depending on the bacon)
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    Hi, I bought a joint of bacon from the butchers and cooked it in the slow cooker with a couple of ham stock cubes and water.

I skimmed the fat and am left with about a pint of sock - jelly like! Can I use this as a stock for soups or something?
    Yes! Its delicious and nutritious.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Taste it to see if it salty? My husband used this as a base for lentil soup, to soak up some salt use potatoes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A pint of "sock"?

I guess you could use it for "stocking up". :D
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    Taste it to see if it salty? My husband used this as a base for lentil soup, to soak up some salt use potatoes.

It will be very salty but will still have good flavour. We also use in lentil soup. I freeze in an ice cube tray so that I can control the salt level by combining with other non/low salt stock.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MotheroftheKid
    Options
    Many thanks for your replies. I think I will throw this "pint of jelly" and next time do the boil and change water method to make stock.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I cook my gammon in cola, usually throw liquid away, but now wondered if I could use it?
    Any suggestions please?
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I cook my gammon in cola, usually throw liquid away, but now wondered if I could use it?
    Any suggestions please?

i'm not sure but I think nigella lawson uses it to cook a sort of black bean and ham stew in.
    I was sort of right, just googled it and its Cuban black bean and ham soup :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any suggestions please?
    As a base for home made baked beans
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family