PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Haggling.

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Haggling's for fleamarkets and car boot sales, not for shops.
    You'd be surprised how many shopkeepers are open to a bit of gentle (not pushy) haggle!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sorry but if you asked me "Is that the best you can do?" you'd get the short answer "Yep". I expect prices to be prices in shops/markets* and only haggle at car boot sales.

(The butcher at our local market always gives us a discount anyway!)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Caterina wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how many shopkeepers are open to a bit of gentle (not pushy) haggle!

I wouldn't be surprised, I'd be too polite to ask.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 3:56PM
    It's always worth a try with telecoms/TV providers. As has been said, just be polite, friendly, not pushy and, I would say, appreciative when they give you what you want, just as with energy providers when asking for goodwill payments.

Talk Talk have just announced price increases which means their customers can leave without penalty within 30 days of being notified. I called yesterday and re-negotiated our deal, which did not end until June 2017. I am now paying £5.70 less a month for exactly the same package as I was before the price increases... and their prices are now locked in for eighteen months. They seem to be going in the right direction, unlike four out of the Big Six energy providers, with their "cheaper tariffs for new customers only".

ETA: The 70p less a month was including Sky Sports, which has gone up by £5.00 so still cheaper than before price increases even with that.
    I just wish I had the stones to haggle in person; it is so much easier over the phone.
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 3:28PM
    There's a time and a place for it - we genuinely got a lower quote on both car + house insurance - for the car the existing insurer dropped their renewal price to match it - whilst the house insurance folks just shrugged, so we went elsewhere and got the same cover at the sparkly new customer price - I had to ask for it, mind.

I'd ask for best price for second-hand, but never in a charity shop (so wrong) - or our local traders (who already discount in kind with extras or overs). If I wanted cheap/discount I could just go to any supermarket. I'm not on a super-tight budget so can afford to do this - I'm well-aware that many can't afford to be squeamish.
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It's funny isn't it, if you're on holiday it's almost mandatory to haggle, but not here. I think i'm to shy and timid. When i went to buy my last car i took an ex-car salesman with me to check it out. I was open-mouthed watching him, he made it look so easy, and the young kid of a salesman didn't stand a chance against him.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 3:38PM
    Can't imagine you can haggle at a supermarket check out :D

The seller needs some authority or leeway to negotiate. A lot of things you buy via a call centres can offer discounts or extras if you ask, as can sole-traders, owners etc

I enjoyed countries like Morocco as nearly everything is haggled. Though it took a lot longer to buy anything. Still it was fun on holiday, maybe not so much for day-to-day essentials.

Bottle of shampoo - I've give you 20p, no madam it's 90p, not worth it to me what about 40p, madam I have a family, a living to make, no lower than 80p, too much for me it's not worth it, 60p my final offer...walks away, oh but this bottle will make your hair so glossy, it's the best 75p and it's yours. Brings 70p out of purse, that is all I have. Ok deal!
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,703
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'll haggle occasionally, I (a) have to be in the mood and (b) have to be prepared to walk away. Best fun though is doing it in front of my mum who cringes with embarrassment. I will haggle at car boots etc, not that I go often. But I have stood as a seller and have had it done to me. So there you go. Depends how much I want to get rid of what I'm flogging.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Do you ever watch that Antiques programme where the experts have to go around shops/fairs, buy things and try and resell at an auction for a profit. They haggle, they sometimes offer silly figures which the seller accepts. I always wonder if it were me or you, and not someone with a Tv camera behind them, would the sellers reduce it as much.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I wouldn't be surprised, I'd be too polite to ask.

Your implication that asking is impolite is quite rude in itself; if you think about it, there is a number of people on this forum who are saying they DO, or intend to try, to haggle, and it is not right to bunch us all as impolite, just because you choose not to.

This has always been a forum full of tolerance and I am saddened to read your comment.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure