TinyCent. Like Bubblews in the good days?

Hi there
I wondered if anyone else on here is using tinycent yet?

And if so, could we maybe set up a user group here?

If so, I've added my most recent post below. It'd be great if someone could read it please.

Thank you x

https://www.tinycent.com/book-review-fractured-by-dani-atkins
~~I am debt free~~

Comments

• Bmth100
    Bmth100 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    I miss BubbleWS. Had a look at this, isn't particularly easy on the eye on iOS but hoping it becomes what Bubble was
  • Cool. Hope to see you round there.
    ~~I am debt free~~
  • Bubblews was slower to pay than YouGov. There must be hundreds of people wanting to buy your material, just bite the bullet!
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • Jenna_Appleseed
    Jenna_Appleseed Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 September 2016 at 11:21PM
    Checking it out now. Looks cool, a lot more professional looking than a site along the same lines I used to write for (earlier than bubblews).

Problem with these sorts of sites is they/you need to have people visiting the site to genuinely read the content and click on the adverts, not just users visiting each others pages. The sites I used to use were fun & had good social connections but ended up only being targeted at writers/members, (the only time anybody else heard of them was via people plugging their posts & trying to get referral sign ups), the adverts looked tacky/spammy, and they ended up going bust.

eta: TinyCent's terms & conditions says "exchange groups....or other forms of social or digital manipulation to generate non-authentic views on your posts." is breaking their rules. https://www.tinycent.com/newtnc2.php

So setting up a thread here for members to click each others posts could get you banned or not paid.
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • Thought it looked an alright site, but then I saw this first on the FAQ page:
    8. Why does TinyCent collect users contact numbers ?
    Well, its our policy to keep the user updated while making the payments. We use the contact numbers for cross checking the transaction details with the users and also for taking reviews

I don't want some random person ringing me about payments nor cross checking. Why ring about payments, what's wrong with sending an email? Quicker and easier. Besides Paypal should send an email once you've received it anyway, until then it's obviously just being processed. They could easily list an expected payment time.

Other sites pay straight to Paypal like them with no checks. Never had any site check anything. What's to check anyway? "Let's ask you who you are to see if you give the same details" because it's not like anyone could lie over the phone if they had given fake details...

If you go an Amazon gift card instead you'll know when it's been sent as it'll come through as an email and they can verify email addresses the same as every other site does, no need to phone.

Certainly don't want them phoning me for reviews!

You can't sign up without giving a phone number. It may be that they don't bother phoning, especially if you're in another country, but they do make sure to get your phone number, it reads like they will call and there's mention of the phone number in T&Cs too ("We redeem funds you generate from the Site to you in the form of Direct Credit, Paypal deposit and also check on special email request. The email request to be sent to (payments@tinycent.com) with your registered email address, display name, registered phone number. Soon after we receive the request, we will reply back to you within 24 to 48 hours.).

Also just noticed this in the terms and conditions:
    9. SITE OWNERSHIP

The Site and all content, organization, graphics, design, compilation, magnetic translation, digital conversion, and other matters related to the Site (collectively, “Content”) are protected under applicable copyrights, trademarks, and other proprietary (including but not limited to intellectual property) rights pursuant to international conventions and U.S. and other laws. The Site and all Content is the property of sole TinyCent and all right, title and interest in and to the Site and Content will remain with TinyCent Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. You do not acquire ownership rights to the Site or any Content other than any rights in the Materials that you may have.

The last bit reads like you maybe have a right to the material (your posts) you add to the site, but it's not really clear. It basically reads as all site content (and that would include posts if it's all) belongs to them. It's not very well written really.

The T&CS say content must be your own, but nothing says for certain (that I can see) that you do get to keep copyright. You probably do but it would be best if they were to write a clear statement saying exactly that.

Just out of interest I looked up the site details.
    Updated Date: 02-mar-2016
    Creation Date: 14-mar-2015
    Expiration Date: 14-mar-2017

Expires next March! If they don't renew that there won't be a site next year.
    City Bangalore
    State / Province Karnataka

The person who registered the site lives in Bangalore. The same person is listed as registrant of the site, administration and technical. Possibly he does have other people working for him but it could also be just one person running the site which is alright for a small site but if it suddenly grows there could be issues.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thought it looked an alright site, but then I saw this first on the FAQ page:

I don't want some random person ringing me about payments nor cross checking. Why ring about payments, what's wrong with sending an email? Quicker and easier. Besides Paypal should send an email once you've received it anyway, until then it's obviously just being processed. They could easily list an expected payment time.

Unless they are selling your details on, there is absolutely no reason why a website can't call you to discuss payment options or whatever they need to talk about, nothing wrong with e-mail (although more likely to get lost/spam or not replied to) but what is the issue with having someone call you? It's actually quicker to phone someone then if you are trying to explain something over e-mail.

Sounds like you just aren't a phone person which is fine - but not a reason to hate the website.

Being a sole man band again, isn't a reason not to join, and every website has to have a notice for copyright. At least they did put something in their about being your own materials as otherwise they could have wrote anything submitted becomes copyright to the website.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Kayalana99 wrote: »
    Unless they are selling your details on, there is absolutely no reason why a website can't call you to discuss payment options or whatever they need to talk about, nothing wrong with e-mail (although more likely to get lost/spam or not replied to) but what is the issue with having someone call you? It's actually quicker to phone someone then if you are trying to explain something over e-mail.

Sounds like you just aren't a phone person which is fine - but not a reason to hate the website.

Being a sole man band again, isn't a reason not to join, and every website has to have a notice for copyright. At least they did put something in their about being your own materials as otherwise they could have wrote anything submitted becomes copyright to the website.

Out of all sites I've joined none have ever phoned or had reason to phone. One or two may have my phone number, sure most don't. So why does this site?

You don't need to phone someone from who knows where to tell them you've processed a payment, nor can I think of any possible check they could do that would be of any benefit.

I never said I hated it, it's simply one reason why I wouldn't join.

As I said "Possibly he does have other people working for him but it could also be just one person running the site which is alright for a small site but if it suddenly grows there could be issues."

You're joining with the intention of continuing to use the site so it helps if the long term looks good and not like one guy who may struggle and have to close the site. It's not a reason not to join, but it is something to be aware of!

For the copyright, my point was it's not clear. Having a section on it is meaningless if it's not clear. Being your own content before submitting doesn't mean they don't claim copyright of it once it's on their site.

Afterall it does say "The Site and all Content is the property of sole TinyCent and all right, title and interest in and to the Site and Content will remain with TinyCent".
  • Flyonthewall - have you signed up yet? I've been looking for you over there but can't find you??
    ~~I am debt free~~
  • TimeToDoIt wrote: »
    Flyonthewall - have you signed up yet? I've been looking for you over there but can't find you??

No. I would have given it a try if it weren't for the site demanding a phone number and stating they will use it. Although I wouldn't be posting anything I wish to keep copyright over just in case!
  • Flyonthewall - I'll keep my eye out for you over there. Can't wait to read your articles.
    ~~I am debt free~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport