Trying to sort out a big mess

Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum and for quite some time have tried to avoid the crisis I'm having with my credit score and would massively appreciate any help.

Long and short of it:
In my early twenties I was terrible with money management and acquired 2 CCJs, one of which has now come off my credit file. The other is due to come off next year. Both are satisfied.
Over a 6 year span, I took out store and credit cards then just failed to pay them back out of sheer ignorance. Thankfully, I managed to clear most of them last year.
However, in 2017 I went through a very difficult period of mental health relating to personal issues and in a nutshell, defaulted on quite a few credit accounts.
I have arranged payment plans with 3 of the lenders, but I am having difficulty remembering what I took out and defaulted on and who I owe money to. I'm very worried of it's impact on my credit score, however I cannot find much information on my credit file. One of the 3 lenders I repaid didn't even show on my credit file.

Could anyone shed any light on when a default will go on your file? Most of the amounts are for £200 or less, but there's lots of little amounts owed to different companies.

If I could kindly ask for no judgement, I was first diagnosed with bipolar in 2017 following a manic episode. The compulsive spending habit came hand in hand with that and thankfully now I'm in a much better frame of mind with control over my mental health. Long may it continue!

R x

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

You will be written to prior to any default been added to your credit file.

Any credit accounts will also show there too.

You should check all three credit reference agencies as different lenders report to different agencies.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Rachel

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear things are more under control for you now with your mental health. In terms of defaults, these are usually registered when your arrears start to build to between 3 and 6 months. As sourcrates points out, there are 3 credit reference agencies and you should check each one as some creditors will only report to one agency.

You can check the following for free:

www.clearscore.com (Equifax)
    www.noddle.co.uk (Callcredit)
    www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub (Experian)

Be aware that checking your credit file can alert companies to your current address. I hope this helps.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I did similar in my 20's. You have realized though and you are dealing with it so that's a big step. Even if your credit file / score is ruined, really don't worry, you can still manage perfectly well.
    As the others say, the creditors should write and tell you that you have defaulted. Once you know what is what, write a list and do an income and expenditure so you can make a plan. That alone will make you feel in control again. I'd also recommend closing your credit accounts. don't simply clear them or chop the cards, actually close them down so you can use them again if you feel tempted. You can manage fine without credit. high credit limits or platinum cards are not a measure of wealth or success.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure