Pigeons nesting under my panels

Options
I have a pair of pigeons nesting under my solar panels. Any recommendations on how to persuade them to "move on". They are particularly noisy cooing away and I an concerned that they may damage something. I am asking here as I am sure other people must have had this issue?
3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 13 March 2017 at 4:26PM
    Options
    5.6mm(.22") lead!

Less drastic, but more expensive, https://www.birdspikesonline.co.uk/Bird-Spikes/Defender-Bird-Solar-Panel-Spike
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So much yes Cardew - I've got 6 pigeons cohabiting under my panels.

Used a neighbours v. nice air rifle last year to scare them off, but they are persistent! Wasn't allowed to actually aim at the birds, the boss said so.
    Bought a dirt cheap bb gun, which was a compromise with the the curent Mrs theboylard, but it's not powerful enough, and if I actually managed to hit a pigeon they just look like they are ready to rumble...

giphy.gif

Also they make so much noise these flying rats - but I've read somewhere that it's illegal to shoot pigeons?

Holding off acquiring said pop gun until I know the full position!!

I have looked at the various bird proofing methods but it's not cheap, and again the boss won't let me up a ladder to do it cheaply!

(Maybe if a few of us have similar problems, we club together and get a rifle and just pass it around bewtween us??!!)
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Supersoaker (got to be a good one to get the range) couple of times just before and after dusk for about a week and they'll go find somewhere else to live in my experience. even near them and they will take off and circle.
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Options
    Throw a cat on your roof?.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    theboylard wrote: »
    Holding off acquiring said pop gun until I know the full position!!

Paintball marker? Know anyone local who might own one? But dial the pressure down a bit or the effect would be similar to the 5.56 round ....... but more 'flamboyant'.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • mickyduck
    mickyduck Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    I already have the necessary .22 but worried that my aim may not be perfect and the last thing I want is a hole in my panels....

I have a very long Karcher extending pole but the angle is all wrong, washes the underside of the panels :) so will try adding a flexible joint to try get the pesky things without having to climb onto the roof.....

Total cost to date £100.. but at least I can now wash my fascia and sofit without a ladder
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since
  • mickyduck
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    5.6mm(.22") lead!

Less drastic, but more expensive, https://www.birdspikesonline.co.uk/Bird-Spikes/Defender-Bird-Solar-Panel-Spike

I have 17 panels covering almost all of my roof........ this would be VERY expensive :eek:
  • mickyduck
    Options
    Not seen them for the last two days.. avoided the "lead" solution just disturbed their nest by climbing onto the roof and breaking it down every other day.... hope they live happily ever after elsewhere
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mwhahahaha....

Roofer was doing a neighbours ridge tiles so I went and bothered him!

Pigeon nests gone for a case of beer :)

Got some very sad looking pigeons, just need to keep them away now!
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • datec66
    datec66 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 April 2017 at 9:40PM
    Options
    My Mrs has been nagging at me for last 2 years or so re Pigeons and poop on the back patio. So after using the hose to scare them away, taking down 3 nests only for them to build another nest and put an egg init in under a week, it was time to sort something permanent.

I bought 4x 5.2metre gutter brushes for £36, wrapped these around the panels and thought that was it, done. Only to find 7 pigeons under the panels still within 2 days. Great!!!!! I caught them just walking through a part of the brushes where I'd bent them underneath the roof bars to keep them in place.

I then realised I had bought 100metres of 316L grade stainless wire for my vape coils off ebay. This was 620 micron thick and came out at too little ohms resistance for my liking so was a waste of £5.20 delivered I thought. Why didn't I think of this being sat there in the house a few weeks before spending £36 on brushes that didn't work???

So anyway, the wire is quite flimsy after taking off it's spool, so I ran 2.5metres length and back again to double it up and make it 1.2mm thick, got the Mrs to hold 1 end with some pliers and put the other end into a drill. Span it for a while which twists the wire together making it double thick, double strength and straight instead of flimsy. Then a trip up the ladder with a 'v' shape fishing rod rest inside a pole, bent the wire in half and used the V and the pole to take it over the 1.5 inch bar holding the panels up (ridge side). Remove the pole, make sure the wire covers top and bottom along all 4 roof bars down to me (gutter side) then used pliers to twist it secure and tight. This gives you a 1.5 inch gap with a rust proof twisted wire top and bottom that they can't get across and is almost invisible too from ground level, almost like installing the aluminium roof bars vertical closing the gap they create to hold up my double array. Considering I only used about 10 metres of wire to do both sides, it's cost me about 52p to do and an hour of my time and boy is it effective lol. It doesn't stop them getting under the top panel to the roof bar, or the bottom panel to that bar, but they won't nest as there not really under cover so to speak so my roof has been pigeon free for the last few days. They just land on the roof now and again, try to get in like they were doing, can't so give up and fly off:j:j:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Hope this helps.

My next thought if this didn't work was to buy some cheap 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch waste pipe or aluminium box section, complete with 90's to run around all the panels to stop them getting under any of them. Again cheap, rot proof and the stainless wire can tie them to the bars to stop the wind messing with them but this hasn't been needed so far.

Carl
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure