Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property

Options
I live in one of a pair of semis and my neighbour needs to have some roof repairs done. He wants to erect scaffolding on my property, to which I've no objection, but I want to protect myself with a written agreement.
I thought I might be able to find some kind of pro-forma on line, but I've had no success, so I've drawn up the following document:

I (name) grant permission for scaffolding to be erected on my property at (address) for a maximum period of days, commencing
A fee of £20 per day (or part day thereof) shall be charged after this period if the scaffolding is not removed.
The scaffolding shall be removed immediately at any time I request.

The second paragraph is to prevent it being there indefinitely and the third is a 'don't pee me off' clause.
Who should I get to sign it, my neighbour, the roofer, the scaffolder or all of them?
I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Comments

• martinthebandit
    Options
    How well do you currently get on with your neighbour?

How well do you want to get on with your neighbour in the future?

Because if you were my neighbour and you came round with that sort of thing I suspect, that once my roof was fixed, there would not be any neighbourly favours coming your way anytime in the future.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 November 2018 at 3:57PM
    Options
    The scaffolder might be the one that left the scaffolding up though - and not the neighbour themselves.

Hence I'd say OP is really protecting themselves against the scaffolder (not the neighbour) just deciding to leave the scaffolding in situ as somewhere to store it for free - as they weren't ready to remove it and take it to next location/storage venue.

Me - I think I'd want the scaffolder signing it actually and I'd be more likely to put £50 than £20 as my daily "tax" for over-running (perhaps even £100). £20 isn't much...

I would swop the words "should I request" to "should it prove necessary". That way the neighbour doesnt think you'd be requesting removal on a subjective whim - but only if it "proved necessary" (eg something came up in relation to OP's own house).
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    bathtub wrote: »
    "The scaffolding shall be removed immediately at any time I request."

I'd never sign it if I was your neighbour. You might demand removal on day 1.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • bathtub
    bathtub Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How well do you currently get on with your neighbour?

The last time we spoke was when I asked him if he intended doing anything about a tree of his that was overgrowing my garden by 3-4 metres. "Grow up, get a life" was his response. He got some very large branches dumped in his garden!

Years previously I was cleaning my windows when he stuck his head out of one of his and said "what the chuff do you chuffing well think you're chuffing well doing, you're making my chuffing windows chuffing wet". Except he didn't say 'chuff'!
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I live in one of a pair of semis and my neighbour needs to have some roof repairs done. He wants to erect scaffolding on my property, to which I've no objection, but I want to protect myself with a written agreement.
    I thought I might be able to find some kind of pro-forma on line, but I've had no success, so I've drawn up the following document:

I (name) grant permission for scaffolding to be erected on my property at (address) for a maximum period of days, commencing
    A fee of £20 per day (or part day thereof) shall be charged after this period if the scaffolding is not removed.
    The scaffolding shall be removed immediately at any time I request.

The second paragraph is to prevent it being there indefinitely and the third is a 'don't pee me off' clause.
    Who should I get to sign it, my neighbour, the roofer, the scaffolder or all of them?
    I welcome any comments or suggestions.
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Seems fine to me but I would add that any damage to my property should be repaired at the cost of the neighbour and all waste will be removed from my property and the site left clean and tidy. If you have ever had your roof re-tiled you will know that for ages after you find bits of broken tile all over the garden.[/FONT]
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    When my scaffolding went up for installing PV it stayed there _far_ longer than the one day for installation and commissioning. Luckily in the end they didn't need to use the neighbour's land. She'd said yes but it would have been embarrassing having it there so long.

When they eventually removed it after storing it on my land they did have the grace to leave me some old scaffold boards for making raised beds!
  • KateLiana27
    Options
    The last time we spoke was when I asked him if he intended doing anything about a tree of his that was overgrowing my garden by 3-4 metres. "Grow up, get a life" was his response. He got some very large branches dumped in his garden!

Years previously I was cleaning my windows when he stuck his head out of one of his and said "what the chuff do you chuffing well think you're chuffing well doing, you're making my chuffing windows chuffing wet". Except he didn't say 'chuff'!

Well, I know what my response would be to a neighbour like this who wanted to put up scaffolding on my property. I wouldn't say "chuff" either as I gave it.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Put like that - I'm surprised you're even going to consider doing him a favour like this.

I'd refuse in your position. He sounds like someone that wouldnt give a darn about chasing the scaffolder to remove it promptly or care at all if any damage was done to your property.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Personally I would do anything to try to repair relations with my neighbour rather than escalate the problem.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For goodness sake.

People are allowed to go onto their semi-deatched neighbour's property for maintenance. There will almost certainly be a clause in your deeds and it won't allow for charging it at any price per day. The people on here don't just get to tell you what to say to your neighbour or get annoyed on your behalf.

Just because one neighbour is an idiot, it doesn't mean the other has to behave like one.

Be nice. It feels good.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure