2»

Comments

• CurlySue2017
    CurlySue2017 Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, I did want factual HELPFUL responses, but you said this:
    dunstonh wrote: »
    If its before 14th Jan 2005 then you give up. If its after 14th Jan 2005 then its the estate agent/broker/adviser that you complain to.

Followed by this:
    It wouldnt matter if you used a claims company or did it yourself, if the case is pre-regulation and the firm was not a member of an earlier body (which is why the banks have to consider earlier dates as they were) then the response would be the same.

If you bought before 14th January through an unregulated company at point of sale they do not have to consider your complaint. It doesnt matter if you complain using a CMC or yourself.

Mortgage brokers, IFAs, estate agents, car dealers and many others were not regulated before 14th Jan 2005. So, that date is important as the firm does not need to consider the complaint and you dont get access to the FOS or FSCS.

If you were going to explain the reason why anyway, why not just explain that in the first place instead of just saying "give up" with no expansion on that?

How is that helpful to someone who came here for advice from people that have a better understanding?

I wanted factual answers yes, but smart !!!! comments and flippant remarks? No thanks, you can keep those.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2018 at 4:03PM
    Options
    If you were going to explain the reason why anyway, why not just explain that in the first place instead of just saying "give up" with no expansion on that?

Why didnt you give the date your bought it in the first place?
    Then we wouldnt have to waste our time giving out extra information that doesnt apply.

Why didnt you ask the relevance of the 14th January date if you didnt know. Instead, you got stroppy.
    I wanted factual answers yes, but smart !!!! comments and flippant remarks? No thanks, you can keep those.

I suggest you follow your own advice as the only person on this thread with a bad attitude is you. Attacking those that are trying to help is rude and counterproductive.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • CurlySue2017
    CurlySue2017 Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    Why didnt you give the date your bought it in the first place?
    Then we wouldnt have to waste our time giving out extra information that doesnt apply.

Why didnt you ask the relevance of the 14th January date if you didnt know. Instead, you got stroppy.

I suggest you follow your own advice as the only person on this thread with a bad attitude is you. Attacking those that are trying to help is rude and counterproductive.

Maybe you should read this before you tell anyone else to give up on their claims based on the timescale, it would appear that you need to check your facts again:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5839394
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Maybe you should read this before you tell anyone else to give up on their claims based on the timescale, it would appear that you need to check your facts again:

That link is completely irrelevant to your circumstance!

The thread in question is about success against a high street bank. Banks adhered to an earlier regulatory body prior to 2005 which is why they have to consider complaints from before that.

As already pointed out on this thread, mortgage brokers, IFAs, estate agents, car dealers etc were not regulated before 14th Jan 2005. They therefore don't have to consider complaints pertaining to an earlier period.

So the advice for you to "give up" was correct I'm afraid.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    Options

Go back and read the replies you have been given and you will see there is a reason the longer timescale does not apply to you. Stop being so stroppy.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May 2018 at 1:07PM
    Options

Wrong. (again)

It may help if you actually read the posts and take the information in rather than rush to be rude to people.

In that thread it says it was a high street bank. Banks were members of an earlier body and have to consider pre-regulation complaints. Yours is not a bank. Companies unregulated at point of sale do not have to consider complaints about sales made pre-regulation unless they were members of an earlier body (such as the ABI or GISC - the bodes that the big firms were members of but not typically used by small firms).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure