Toilets and the law

Comments

• ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I work on building sites, Lavatory is a bucket in the back of the van.
    But sooner that than working in an office with women whose primary concern is the type of bin to be used
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Issue instruction that only cubicles are to be used, not the urinals, until the problem with the ladies toilet has been fixed. Move the sanitary bin into one of cubicles (assuming more than one) and designate it for female use only. Not rocket science.
    If only the male toilets are available I'm not sure what other solution the OP expects. Should the men go outside and p behind a tree?
    this sound sensible, although really if men are using a urinal there is not a lot to see, is there?

I could perhaps understand if the men felt inhibited by having the ladies walking past them while they pee, after all the men are showing their bits not the ladies. but having said that, I heard a chap on the radio the other day saying how much he HATED ungendered toilets, because he was always so embarrassed by the state of unisex male loos, that he didn't want ladies to see a loo left in a state. I thought at the time, there's an easy answer to that, if only men would stop leaving loos in a state.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I remember being in a night club in Rheims in 1977 and needing the loo, found a huge room with a urinal on one wall and loos on the other, no cubicles.

Men and women doing what they they needed to do in full view of everyone else, no privacy whatsoever

I survived :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I thought there was a ratio of toilets to employees working. Example - 2 of each gender for a workplace with 600 people
  • suki1964
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/toilets.htm

We have one, for 12 staff. Not all staff are on site at the same time
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for that link: we're near the limit! We have two for +/- 25 staff - that's the number on payroll in our building, although atm we are not all there for various reasons. Fortunately I don't think we EVER have everyone in at the same time!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • suki1964
    I thought there was a ratio of toilets to employees working. Example - 2 of each gender for a workplace with 600 people

Your shop has 600 employees? :eek:
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary

I think those figures are wrong but, even so, how much better just to have 4 toilets for 600 staff.
  • humptydumptybits
    humptydumptybits Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    The last 3 jobs I've had have all had unisex toilets. The toilets were all clean and never caused a problem. They were all old buildings, one of them was a listed building, so not like it is a modern idea. Actually in one job I was the only woman working in the building, the women's loo was inside on the first floor the men's was outside across a yard. When I started work there I was approached by one of the men who explained it had been all men working there for years so they used the women's loo and would I object if they continued to do so, it didn't worry me. A woman who came to the building for a few minutes 3 or 4 times a week kicked up a fuss as she did object to men using the loo and thought having a woman working there fulltime would mean the men wouldn't be able to use them any more.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    At my last place the women's loo was on the ground floor, but those of us who worked on the top floor pretty soon decided that the men's on that floor was going to be unisex. No problem, in fact better from the point of view of the cleaners, since the men started to improve their aim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure