Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• MaryLou18
    MaryLou18 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I am only 28 and I am determined to retire early. Pushing the retirement age up to 67 is just wrong. We are spending the best years of our life working.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    MaryLou18 wrote: »
    Pushing the retirement age up to 67 is just wrong.

Nobody pushed the retirement age to 67. All they did was push to state pension age to 67.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Deneb wrote: »
    Walking boots and gaiters. Spend half of the year slipping about on wet clay over chalk round here, and get out every day, rain or shine.

Sounds miserable to me.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am only 28 and I am determined to retire early. Pushing the retirement age up to 67 is just wrong. We are spending the best years of our life working.

So save into a pension, use your S&S isa allowance, buy a home. Then you will be able to retire before 67.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Back in the day many people never made it to retirement and spent all their adult years working. Now you can get a state pension at 67 with a reasonable chance of collecting that for 20 years. If you invest in company/personal pension and S&S ISAs you can quit well before that and enjoy life. Sounds good to me.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • frugal90
    frugal90 Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We stop this summer. I"ll be 56 and wife will be 50.
    Work hard, save hard, live cheap and you can escape.
    Early retired in summer 2018 and loving it
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Nobody pushed the retirement age to 67. All they did was push to state pension age to 67.

:j:j:j

I say this all the time. Most people refer to the State Pension Age as the "Retirement age" I try not to be too irritating when I point out you can retire any time you like. Most people however value driving a new ish car or living in a house too large for their needs more than retiring earlier.
  • Deneb
    Deneb Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    atush wrote: »
    Sounds miserable to me.

Not at all. Much rather be outdoors in the countryside, walking across to a valley where I watch kites soaring overhead and deer, than sitting indoors. And the exercise makes me feel good too!

I take it you've never been up to your waist walking through peat bog either :rotfl:
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We are spending the best years of our life working.

Well Duh! That is what you are here for. Try and make the 'working' part enjoyable!

(Actually, it is probably the most 'productive' part of your life, rather than most enjoyable.)
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I do not know if it has been covered in the depths of this thread, but I recommend moving house when taking early retirement, especially if you have been in the same place for a while.

You are no longer resticted in finding a place by commuting restictions, and have a whole new area to explore, new people to meet and challenges to overcome.

C
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure