Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lots of good news , great to hear about BIL . Car insurance price is great and well done for getting it so cheap.

Had DS anything left in his room !
  • 117pauline
    Options
    I come over to your diary and find positive news about your BIL and the great news he may be able to go home tomorrow. There's nowhere quite like home when you are poorly. Nothing quite like your own bed and even the smells are comforting! Oops that didn't come out quite right but home smells of home and is so comforting.

So you are on debt free day 8 and you have haggled for your car insurance plus paying up front. Result.

Planning the trip up north to avoid the services. Bought the goodies, had plan and executed. Result.

Laughing instead of crying over DS olive oil event. Last month it may have made you cry. Result.

But 3 bottles of olive oil? Three? There is no explanation! Or at least don't ask for one.

I get the impression your husband is of a similar age to my partner. He still has the belief he has to provide, come what may. I think we have brought our children to see more of a partnership.

So this weekend is falling into place. I know there is a difficult reason for going but I hope you all manage to have a good time, however many of you go.

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Pauline things do seem to be coming together :). Having no debts seems to have motivated us to drive down costs in other areas.

There are either three or five of us going, as DS2 and DS3 are still trying to decide, rolls eyes. They'll have to make up their minds tomorrow.

DS2 is now vacuuming in his room! I have no idea if there's anything left in there as DH and I are not allowed in there :eek:.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Evening HHOD,

Wow can't believe youve been debt free a week already, a lot has happened in that week :eek:!

So glad the news re BIL is good so far.

Totally agree that the £11 spent in Mr T's will be a lot less than spending in the services.

xx
    Mummytogirls x

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks MTG is has been an eventful week :).

I'm dreaming of peace and quiet at the moment but with a wedding coming up too, I may have to wait a while :eek:.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Has DS maybe got a new 'friend' on the horizon I wonder?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have just spent the last hour or so reading through your diary. So many similarities in how our debts have built up, but knowing that you have made it through has been really encouraging - thank you for sharing. I am job hunting but trying to pay off debts along the way with two munchkins and the stress is unbelievable at times. You have done so well and obviously love your family so much. Will subscribe and follow your new journey.:j
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Wonderful news about your BIL Hairy.

I’m still gobsmacked by the twenty bags of rubbish and the three bottles if olive oil!:eek:.....
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad to hear good news about BIL :)

Three bottle of olive oil is better then three (empty!) bottles of whisky LOL
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Wonderful news about your BIL Hairy.

I’m still gobsmacked by the twenty bags of rubbish and the three bottles if olive oil!:eek:.....

Take it you dont have an adult DS:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback