Work colleague block booking desired holiday dates

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    inglorius wrote: »
    Good idea. If they had booked a couple of Bank Holidays off then fine but to book the whole lot off then tell me afterwards seems a bit underhand. What I found most disapointing was that when I mentioned that this behaviour appears self serving they were totally non plussed.

That’s up to them though - it’s not illegal to be selfish :)
  • inglorius
    inglorius Posts: 158 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    That’s up to them though - it’s not illegal to be selfish :)

Agreed but it hardly demonstrates your ability to be a team player and engender cross functional relationships which is key to the job we're undertaking.
  • RADDERS
    RADDERS Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    The other way to think about it is, bank holiday times for holidays normally cost a premium. So they may have booked the prime dates but a holiday will cost them a lot more.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Agreed but it hardly demonstrates your ability to be a team player and engender cross functional relationships which is key to the job we're undertaking.
    You didn't think that was so important when people were complaining about you though? You didn't think it was fair for people to complain about your alleged inappropriate behavior, or for your manager to raise it with you. You just can't have it both ways.
  • inglorius
    sangie595 wrote: »
    You didn't think that was so important when people were complaining about you though? You didn't think it was fair for people to complain about your alleged inappropriate behavior, or for your manager to raise it with you. You just can't have it both ways.

Please can you confine yourself to the original question and not go off topic if you are going to reply.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Please can you confine yourself to the original question and not go off topic if you are going to reply.
    It is not off topic. You also don't decide who replies. Complaining about a colleague, accusing them of inappropriate behaviour, and having a go at them in person (which you say you did) is very relevant given the fact that you have recently had words with your manager about your behaviour with colleagues. If you think something is unfair then by all means speak to your manager about whether they agree, or whether it is within policy. An employer can decline holiday requests. But taking it this personally and having an ill advised go at your colleague about what you consider their selfishness is very relevant if you have a history of similar. And I also recall alter egos on this site for you too.

You may not like the advice, but it is very real and sincere. And very definitely on topic if you have a recent history of being warned about your behaviour with colleagues.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Seems very straightforward to me. If you actually WANT to take leave around any of the bank holidays, ask if your colleague would be prepared to work around this.

If you don't, enjoy your cheaper holidays at other times of the year.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • It's amazing that someone in a managerial position can't sort something like this out by themself. If you don't have any plans then just make plans for a different week and move on with your life.

I'd be laughed at if I went to my senior management with a trivial issue like this.
  • inglorius
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Seems very straightforward to me. If you actually WANT to take leave around any of the bank holidays, ask if your colleague would be prepared to work around this.

If you don't, enjoy your cheaper holidays at other times of the year.

I know what I'll be doing next year when the holiday planner goes up in January....I'm used to working in companies where there are desirable holiday periods and colleagues agree between themselves a rota every year so that each year a different person gets Xmas off etc. my colleague obviously isn't and sees it as a suit yourself first forget about everyone else after.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Agreed but their thinking is that they only have 20 floating days which is 4 weeks so if they tack holidays at the end of a Bank Holiday then they will save a day every week to use at another time and still get a full weeks holiday each time.
    Have they used the AL for full weeks in the Bank hols? If they have then they'll have used all 20 days using 8 days Easter and 12 days for the 2 x May and the 1 x Aug ban hols? If so the rest of the year is open for you to take.

Also, what's to stop you taking days the week before so you get an extra long week/weekend for the price of less?

Everywhere I've ever worked has had a 'first come, first served policy' for booking AL.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure