Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Happy New Year HHOD , sounds like you had a good new year. Easing into work is a good idea. I like that you bought yourselves a few bits in the sale , well deserved now you are debt free.

Thanks Cumbria :)
    beanielou wrote: »
    I have been eating chocolates that I dont even like :mad: & shortbread.

You need to get all the bad food out of the house beanie (eather by eating it or binning it) and then don't buy any more. That's the only thing that works for me.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Thanks Cumbria :)

You need to get all the bad food out of the house beanie (eather by eating it or binning it) and then don't buy any more. That's the only thing that works for me.

Too mean to bin it:eek:
    It was all in a hamper I got at Chrimbo so once it is gone it is gone.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hello HH,

Happy New Year.

I like your sensible approach to handling the weight gain. I am struggling with weight gain too.
    You seem to be adjusting to being debt free and treating yourself now and then.

My mind seems to be buzzing with the things I 'need' once I am debt free

Have a relaxing evening
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Thanks :). I know how to lose the weight as I've done it before and know what works for me, I just need to apply some will power which is the hardest part :mad:.

We're on a very tight budget so still need to be very careful with our spending, but the immense pressure of the debts being gone is such a relief :j.

You look like you don't have far to go with paying yours off.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • 117pauline
    117pauline Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As I didn't "do" Christmas, I have few excuses for gaining weight. I think mine is down to eating immediate food like full fat yogurt etc to excess. Looking back, I can now see I smacked and grazed for the three weeks.

I'm impressed with the New Year office clear out. There's something wonderful about clearing the decks for the coming year.

How is your brother in law?

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    We've still got an old laptop and two computers that DH says we can't throw away until he's sorted them out :mad: (they've been cluttering up the office for over a year :mad:) and big stacks of paperwork to go through, but it does look a lot better :j. We'll do the tip trip tomorrow and go through some of the paperwork too. When it's finished I think we'll feel more motivated and inspired to define our work goals for 2018 and get existing work completed :j..

Don’t let OH fob you off about the computers Hairy - why is it that men can never happily throw away anything electrical or electronic!:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • You don't want to know how much computer and electrical stuff we have in tbe void SSG, it drives me potty :mad:.

BIL has finished radiotherapy before Christmas Pauline and starts chemo this week. We're hoping it's effective but time will tell.

It sounds like lots of people want to lose weight after Christmas, we need an MSE exercise class and diet plan :rotfl:.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    There is a very friendly MSE SW thread.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • I can't follow diets like that unfortunately beanie as I like to go off piste and do it my own way. That's also the reason I can't follow recipes :rotfl:. We can cheer each other on though :).
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hows your healthy eating gone today HHOD? xx
    Mummytogirls x

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts