Car in bankruptcy

2»

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A car repair bill isn't a secured debt though. Mortgage debt only falls into BR once the house has been repossessed which means the debts is no longer secured.
    Anyone with an older car pre BR can not subsequently get it repaired and then ask that the bill is added to the BR debts which is what I understood maxmy to mean. If the repair work has already been done (pre-BR) then yes, its a BR debt as long as its provable.
  • Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    A car repair bill isn't a secured debt though. Mortgage debt only falls into BR once the house has been repossessed which means the debts is no longer secured.
    Anyone with an older car pre BR can not subsequently get it repaired and then ask that the bill is added to the BR debts which is what I understood maxmy to mean. If the repair work has already been done (pre-BR) then yes, its a BR debt as long as its provable.

I read it that the car was repossed and needed repair, debt is to the HP company (as a pre BR contract shortfall) not a garage. Maybe OP can claify what he's thinking about.

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

• its more like a contract lease car returned due to default then a early termination fee

sorry for the confusion
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • Oh well, if they want it back.....

22540192_1688868184459422_1361790240320618947_n.jpg?oh=d51b4715cc509b4707f73ae9d716fedd&oe=5A79CC2A
  • I contemplated buying the BR's car but that would - if only briefly - on paper - make it an asset of the BR's and liable to seizure by the IS

I cant see anyway a 3rd party (me) could purchase the car from the HP company without raising the attention of the IS.
  • Mouse007
    edited 22 October 2017 at 9:14AM
    I contemplated buying the BR's car but that would - if only briefly - on paper - make it an asset of the BR's and liable to seizure by the IS

I cant see anyway a 3rd party (me) could purchase the car from the HP company without raising the attention of the IS.

I'm not following you at all here, if a car is on HP it does not belong to the BR and therefore the OR (IS) will have no interest in it or any say in the matter.

If you buy the car you buy it from the HP company and pay the HP company. The BR receives nothing.

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

• Mouse007 wrote: »
    I'm not following you at all here, if a car is on HP it does not belong to the BR and therefore the OR (IS) will have no interest in it or any say in the matter.

If you buy the car you buy it from the HP company and pay the HP company. The BR receives nothing.

but will the HP company take cash off me, plus the BR will be on the V5 as the registered keeper upto the BR date at least, the IS will see he has a car...
  • Mouse007
    but will the HP company take cash off me, plus the BR will be on the V5 as the registered keeper upto the BR date at least, the IS will see he has a car...

The "registered keeper" is not necessarily the owner, they maybe and often are, but not always. The registered keeper (not owner) is the person who is responsible for traffic violations, ie the person parking and speeding tickets are sent to. The authorities want to know who is responsible for the driving (use) not who owns the car.

Have a look at a V5, it actually has a big bold warning that “this document is not proof of ownership” on it - first line first page.

This is very well known and understood by the IS. There would be nothing the OR could do if you bought the car from the HP company.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure