Alternative to nhs pension?

Comments

• Docjames
    Docjames Posts: 13 Forumite
    Thanks for the consolation bigadaj. .yes. .that is what I tell myself.
    Dunston. .yes. .I agree (hindsight is a great thing )
    Will look into additional contributions. .One issue we doctors have is that we compare our benefits to our senior doctors who have retired and are much better off. .that will need to stop as things are different now..
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Docjames wrote: »
    Will look into additional contributions. .One issue we doctors have is that we compare our benefits to our senior doctors who have retired and are much better off. .that will need to stop as things are different now..

It's probably an easy direct comparison with your predecessors or managers, but it's just a function of the U.K. And much of the developed world.

Standards of living have increased for millennia, but that increase probably stops at the baby boomers. So from generation x to Generation Y to millennials then everyone feels slightly worse off, far easier to compare with your contemporaries.

It's actually the only way to view things as it's the only valid comparator, I always remember doing a level maths and the teacher using the movement of grades by examining boards as an explanation of the bell curve and normalising statistics. So you couldn't equate an a or c grade with anyone a year or below you, but could with your cohort.
  • Docjames
    Very true. .One place I feel that medics can have training is financial planning. .e.g most of us don't have a clue about sipp platforms and drawdowns...reading here can give a great insight along with the advice from others.
  • TARDIS
    TARDIS Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Very true. .One place I feel that medics can have training is financial planning. .e.g most of us don't have a clue about sipp platforms and drawdowns...reading here can give a great insight along with the advice from others.

To be fair the NHS pension is generous and many doctors won't need SIPPs etc due to the LTA. If you had been in the NHS scheme from 23/24 you would likely exceed LTA around 60 if you're full time. It's easy to be jealous of the previous generation, but please don't throw away what is still a good pension scheme just because it's not as good as it once was.
  • peter3hg
    peter3hg Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

On a doctor's salary you will almost certainly hit the LTA before your retirement age (currently equivalent to £50k a year pension) so the difference in the schemes is actually largely irrelevant.
    You need to look carefully at this as it might reduce the benefit of having an external private pension.
    The contribution rates haven't changed in a couple of years and aren't due to be reassessed for another 4 years so your contributions will only have increased if you've had a salary increase that takes you into a higher contribution band.
  • MonkeyDr
    MonkeyDr Posts: 143 Forumite
    I'm not convinced that these days that many doctors will "almost certainly" hit the LTA.

The 2015 scheme is CARE, with pension accruing at 1/54 of annual earnings each year (might have phrased that poorly, but you know what I mean).

Some juniors now will, for sure.

But I am nearly 40, and like many of my contemporaries I have recently started working part-time because I have young children and I'd like to see them occasionally. I also have chosen a specialty which pretty much requires a PhD, so I am still a couple of years off being a consultant. I earn less than £35k pa at present.

I'm not complaining about it. But it given that even when I become a consultant my salary will be around £75k (planning go back to full-time in a couple of years), I don't think I'll hit the £50k pa pension expectation to hit the LTA. Especially as I doubt I'll be fit enough to keep working at this intensity after 60 ish.

(for reference, if consultant salaries had kept pace with inflation from when I started medicine, the consultant starting salary would be some £20k pa higher. And pension contributions were only half as much as they are now. You can see why a) the old pension scheme was bonkers, and b) medics around our age look at those retiring now with envy)

Like the OP I am looking at SIPPs and other options to bridge the gap.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Medics are probably in a worse situation in terms of comparator as they see directly what previous generation had or have benefitted, in many other sectors technology and practices have changed so it's far less easy to value accurately.

However make no mistake that the same is true for almost all areas of work, apart from very senior management, such as ftse board directors.

My missus has an allotment and there's a bunch of guys there from mid 50s up who worked on a royal ordnance site. All made redundant a decade ago when it closed down, good payoff, final salary pensions, all left school at 18 or younger, there's absolutely no chance of any kid now getting anything like the same deal.

Just deal with current realities and move on, look at the benefits life has brought, and remember for millennia very few people retired, you worked and then you dropped dead, was a lot simpler.
  • Docjames
    monkeydr,
    Yes...SIPPs are what I am looking at as well..the thing is that it seems to be a vast ocean...too many choices leaves one confused...which is why I will be very grateful if the more experienced people and helpful people here would guide us through this maze...A and E seems easy compared to this:)
    Doc Kylie James
  • paparossco
    paparossco Posts: 293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    One of our ED consultants took an early retirement but came back part time doing return clinics only. All those who would thank you to leave the NHS scheme would not want to have you carrying the arrest page at 68 the night they chose to have their MI
    The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.
    Wayne Dyer
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    we have a Fidelity SIPP each, but I feel that saying what it's invested in won't be very useful to you as it's 100% equities, and I know that's a route you wanted to avoid.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family