PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Please let me hold your hand...roll on 2018!

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I feel really stressed this evening, so much so that I have just eaten 2 packs of Aldi's version of "Skips" (which I bought to keep my 2 yo niece amused) in a row. I went for my usual hour long walk earlier and that didn't help a jot - instead I spent the hour focusing on the enormity of the task ahead :o

I desparately want to start packing, but at the same time I don't want to have to squeeze round multiple boxes for the next 3 months...realistically I won't be moving in until the first week of January. I'd rather just get it done and move back in with my parents until then, such is the derangement of my thoughts.

Am trying to calm myself down with a quote for Big Yellow Storage and overnight van hire.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) And breathe s l o w ly and d e e p l y, hun.

Do not succumb to paralysis and panic. Everything is do-able. The majority of one's Stuff can be lifted in one hand, all that's needed is to consolidate it in such a way that you won't be making 10,000 trips to and fro the removal van.

What I've done when prepping for a move when the actual dates are very much TBC is pack things which aren't needed in daily life in boxes and keep those boxes in cupboards/ under beds/ in the loft. This keeps them from underfoot but means that they're ready to roll at very little notice.

Get what you can boxed and bags, have the containers labelled and perhaps have a master book as a working inventory in case you panic and think you've lost your copy of X book or Y item. Always label boxes on all four sides and the top, so whichever way they face you can see the label.

It might be a good idea to colour co-ordinate boxes with stickers. All book boxes are ----, all kitchen boxes are
    . It makes a fast and intuitive way to sort things out.

Examples could be something like Red 20 - your Margaret Attwood novels. I have no idea if you read MA's books, just used that as an example. Red 21 could be A.N.Other author. Blue 2 could be summer sandals and flip-flops, Blue 3 could be swimming cozzies and beachwear. You get the idea. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Floss wrote: »
    lillibet he's in...;)

:D:D:D
    Save
    Save
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • VfM4meplse
    I feel a bit better now, having decided that I'm going to stick my stuff in storage as soon as it's safe to. Rates aren't too bad and are a small price to pay for peace of mind.

It also means I'll be able to thoroughly clean and decorate the new place before I move my stuff in. Now I just have to break the news to my folks that they'll have a houseguest before the end of the year :D

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    Okay...so now for the next step. Having spent a wonderful weekend in my new 'hood, feeling-ever-so-pleased with my choice of property and location and fantasising about all the suburban things I will get up to, I've had the survey back this morning. And all is not 100% :o

The rational side of me thinks that much of the problems are associated with the age of the property, but equally I know they will cost a bundle to fix. Effectively making me a wage-slave to my new home for at least 18 months. I expected a bit of work, but nowhere near this much! Plus there are a number of other unknowns because certain areas couldn't be accessed.

I need to get my head around this information, there is a lot of it! I know I can't be the only one in this position, but its all new to me. I have a feeling I need to sleep on it and then make a plan...

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    VFM is there any wriggle room on the purchase price to take account of some of the survey issues? Maybe seller to reduce the price or to commit to resolving some things without charge?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just catching up with the thread; I've moved house several times, and in my experience there's always something that's not up-to-scratch and has to be sorted. I agree with Floss see if the seller is able to get some of the problems sorted.

And GQ's suggestion of colour-coding your boxes is ace; I'm a great fan of colour coding (you should see my dog-sitting bookings spreadsheet - it's a veritable rainbow!)

Btw, I have no idea what "Skips" are, let alone @ldi's version of them, but two packs in one hit doesn't sound too good!:D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Plus there are a number of other unknowns because certain areas couldn't be accessed.

Oooh, I'd go back with a tame builder.
    When you say "couldn't be accessed", is that the standard surveyor cover statement in case something comes up? e.g. "we haven't taken the carpets up so can't guarantee the state of the floorboards" or "we haven't checked the drains with a camera", that sort of thing?
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • VfM4meplse
    I feel a bit subdued today, it’s out of my grip and all in the vendors’ hands now.

Yesterday I was told by someone with the gift that my past plans have been plagued with disappointment, and this is set to continue. Am guessing whatever happens now will be for the best. If I don’t think that way, I’ll be quite wretched.

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I think you should stay positive. If it works out, it was meant to be. If not then there is somewhere better meant for you.

And quit buying books! ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business